PDA

View Full Version : Small Business Software?

Tom Conger
02-16-2006, 4:05 PM
Started turning pens last year for my real estate agent wife. She uses them as closing gifts on the rare occasions she makes it to the closing table. They have been a big hit, so much so, that other real estate agents, cloding attorneys, and mortgage brokers are asking me to make them sets.
So far it has been pretty fun, and it has helped defray a lot of the costs.
I am never going to do this full time, but I would like a software package or something other than my very complex spreadsheet to keep track of all my blanks, what I paid, how many pen kits I have, what I paid, etc, etc. What is my profit margin, what pens are selling better, what vendor is giving good prices etc...

I have looked at Quickbooks and MS Money, but can't seem to find an exact answer. Plus it sells for about $400.

So, anyways, anyone out there not running a full scale business, have a software recomondation that can assist me in doing this?

Jim Becker
02-16-2006, 5:23 PM
QuickBooks is one of the easiest software products to use for tracking a small business. You should be able to get detailed features at the Intuit site. Don't forget that the software will also count towards your business expenses when it comes to tax time.

Frank Parker
02-16-2006, 6:21 PM
Hi, I sell bowls and other turning projects on the side and I was looking for the same thing. I ordered Quick books simple from Amazon for $80.00. From what I've read it should be exactly what I need. I hope it shows up soon I've already sold over 40 bowls this year, Right now I use hand writen ledgers so when it shows up I'll have to enter all this information in to it.
Frank

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2006, 6:42 PM
Tom I use Quick Books for my clock business. Very easy to learn and use.

Jim DeLaney
02-16-2006, 10:10 PM
I ran several businesses, ranging from a little $40K gross consultancy to a $2.2M Homeowners Association (as well as five other HOA's) on Quickbooks Pro.

It has - or has access to as an add-on - everything from inventory control to payroll features, and if you set it up right, will even interface directly with TurboTax at the end of the year. A bit pricey initially, but as somebody else said, it's deductable as a business expense.

Matt Meiser
02-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Microsoft has a new small business package this year as well. Similar to Quickbooks from what I've seen in the Microsoft Certified Partner emails I get from them at work. There might be a free trial download--Microsoft usually provides those.

Tom Conger
02-17-2006, 11:25 AM
I saw the MS Money package. They have a free download, but it is for regular Money, not business.

I see and here a lot of good things about QB, so maybe I'll head that way.

Thanks for the input.

Doug Jones from Oregon
02-17-2006, 12:34 PM
I have used QB Pro since it came out, and earlier issues of QB before that....with no complaints.

I think though, that the pricing you indicate $400 is for the manufacture version which would most likely be overkill for your business. Pro should do most anything you need and it should only be about $180 most anywhere.

Doug

Steve Clardy
02-17-2006, 12:45 PM
I also use quickbooks.
You can buy an outdated version, say 2004, 2005, off of Ebay for a lot less money. I don't upgrade every year, but about every 3-4 years, then buy the previous years version.

Matt Meiser
02-17-2006, 2:29 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Conger]I saw the MS Money package. They have a free download, but it is for regular Money, not business.[QUOTE]

The new product is calle Microsoft Small Business Accounting 2006. There is a download here (http://www.microsoft.com/office/accounting/prodinfo/trial.mspx)

Quickbooks is much more established though, and Steve made an excellent suggestion.

Jim Stoppleworth
02-17-2006, 2:37 PM
Tom,
I use Quickbooks Pro for our embroidery/screenprinting business, mostly because I have employees. If you don't have employees for the turnings you produce, I'd be tempted to use Quicken for a side business.

Jim

Earl Eyre
02-18-2006, 1:21 AM
If none of the above fits your needs try MYOB. I used to have a small business (I'm retired) and it fit the bill perfectly. It was also the choice of a franchise I used to belong to. It used to be inexpensive and very simple to use.
Earl

Anthony Welch
02-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Can any of the programs,(Quickbooks or MYOB), track specific items. Let's say I purchase 10-10k cigars,10-24k cigars 10-24k slimline, and 10-satin slimeline. My invoice from vendor shows this and what each item cost and total. Then another invoice from another vendor where I purchased 10 of each maple, bocote, pupleheart, and cocobolo. Then on the other end I sell to a customer and noting on their receipt a 10k cigar/bocote. Will the program show an inventory report of remaining inventory.

This may be overkill on my part, I don't know. Or do you just show that you purchased a total dollar amt. from vendor and it balances out with the sales made.

I've been to both web sites and saw nothing specific to this. I was just wondering if it can be done with either/both programs.:confused:

Sorry to be long winded! I know nothing of business accounting.:(

Thanks! Anthony Welch :)

Jim Stoppleworth
02-18-2006, 3:49 PM
The short answer is yes for Quickbooks, and I'm betting yes for MYOB also. It's a fairly large amount of data entry and coding to track specific items through to specific sale. I tried doing it for our business and changed after a a couple of months to cost of goods for an area and sales for an area. We just use too many suppliers. On some orders we get merchandise from 4 or 5 suppliers to complete the sale. But it is doable.

Jim

valerie williams
02-18-2006, 6:43 PM
Tom,
I use quickbooks as well, I have a link that will compare the features of the different products. The telephone suport is great. I use mine to keep track of satelite equipment, seperate our recievers and such from that of the other contractors, keep up with what we paid our employees and computer parts. I dont know if I am allowed to post the link or not, can I pm it to ya?

Mark Patoka
02-18-2006, 6:52 PM
I started using QuickBooks Simple Start edition last year (discontinued this year I believe to get you to upgrade). It does great at simple invoicing and recording expenses/income with reports for each customer. It will report the number of sales by product but it doesn't do inventory tracking. I believe some of the higher end versions of QB does that.