PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box-2nd try

Chris DiCiaccio
02-16-2006, 3:14 PM
Hi folks, this is my second practice try at a lidded box. Its a cut-off from a table leg on the dining room table I made some time back. Hard maple. I did better at getting the inside hollowed this time-down to a point. I drilled a 1/2"
hole to start with and then used my 3/8 spindle gouge. It worked great to about halfway down. Had to stop. Guess it was too much gouge hanging over the rest. The only other tool I have for this is a 1/2" scraper which I did not try since I am not sure whether its the right tool or not and since I have never used one. So, since its just practice I left it and finished it as is. The lid was a good workout for me. Have a great day.

Mike Ramsey
02-16-2006, 3:21 PM
Very good looking box Chris! I like the lid alot!

Dick Parr
02-16-2006, 4:07 PM
Great job Chris, nothing wrong with that box. Nice job.

You are right about the reach being to much for the gouge and really the scraper also.

Chris if you really want to continue with making boxes a suggestion would be to take a look at Lee Valley and in their turning section of tools is a box making tool rest. You buy the post and rest separate. That rest is the ticket to making boxes because it will reach into a box and give a scraper support all the way to the bottom. Take a look at it, it is not expensive. I use it on more then just boxes also.

Again great looking box.

Cecil Arnold
02-16-2006, 4:14 PM
Really nice box.

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 4:17 PM
Chris I like the whole box. It's very nicely formed.

Chris DiCiaccio
02-16-2006, 4:32 PM
Great job Chris, nothing wrong with that box. Nice job.

You are right about the reach being to much for the gouge and really the scraper also.

Chris if you really want to continue with making boxes a suggestion would be to take a look at Lee Valley and in their turning section of tools is a box making tool rest. You buy the post and rest separate. That rest is the ticket to making boxes because it will reach into a box and give a scraper support all the way to the bottom. Take a look at it, it is not expensive. I use it on more then just boxes also.

Again great looking box.

Dick, Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I'm just feeling my way as I go. No lessons or other help other than this forum and what I can find on the net. The only tools I have are a six piece starter set by sorby. No hollowing tools. Thanks again.

Keith Burns
02-16-2006, 5:27 PM
Chris, that is a great looking box. :) :) I think you are past the practice stage.:) :)

Jim Becker
02-16-2006, 5:29 PM
Chris, that's a really lovely form...great job!

Andy Hoyt
02-16-2006, 5:40 PM
Keep it up, Chris. They keep looking better and better. And this one would make a great martini shaker.

Hey Dick! - I just looked at that Lee Valley tool rest system. Do the individual pieces thread onto the post? And even if so, I worry about how stout it all is? What's your user related assessment?

Jim Ketron
02-16-2006, 6:23 PM
Nice Box!
keep-em coming!

John Hart
02-16-2006, 7:04 PM
Wow Chris...That aint practice! Very handsome piece!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2006, 7:19 PM
Ditto what John said. That don't look like a practice piece to me. Great box.

Corey Hallagan
02-16-2006, 8:03 PM
Very nice Chris, theykeep getting better and better!

Core y

George Morris
02-16-2006, 11:08 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">very nice box great job like the form . how big is it ? </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Chris DiCiaccio
02-16-2006, 11:16 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">very nice box great job like the form . how big is it ? </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

George,
Thanks for the comments. The size is 5 1/4" h x 2 1/2" w. If you make one be sure to post it for us. Have a great day.

Raymond Overman
02-17-2006, 7:55 AM
Nice looking box Chris.

For those larger end grain hollowing/hogging wood endeavors a straight boring bar is my tools of choice. The boring bar is cheap and easy to make with tools you probably already have.

Check out this link for the bits:

http://www.wttool.com/c/22180005p

and this one for drill rod:

http://www.wttool.com/c/07000005p

Personally, I use 5/8 drill rod (cut the 36" in half and make two) and 1/4 x 1/4 x 2 1/2 HSS bits to make mine. I drill a hole in the end of the drill rod using my lathe and a jacobs chuck in the tailstock. Then I use CA glue to hold the bit in place leaving only half of the bit showing. If I need to change the bit, I use a propane torch to remove it. Make the handle out of wood and you're ready to go. You can even put a curve in the end or set the bit in at a 45 degree angle for those hard to reach places in a hollow form. Two nice heavy tools for $12.26.