PDA

View Full Version : LOML's Salid Bowl

Cecil Arnold
02-16-2006, 2:39 PM
LOML is a great cook. She has been a finalist in the Pillsbuty cook off twice (didn't win the million) and won a few things in other contest including almost having dinner with Paul Neuman. I, on the other hand, learned to be a decent firehouse cook so I could get out of cutting grass (that's another story). Taylor had a store bought salad bowl that finally cracked and found its way to the dump and we have been without a wooden bowl for several years now. This morning I spent cutting and roughing out her new salad bowl:

The bowl is 18 1/2" but will shrink after drying. In case Ken is looking, those shavings are just from rough out, I've still got a core to work on.

Bill Stevener
02-16-2006, 2:46 PM
Wow Cecil, that one looks like it will hold half the garden.
Love to see it when it's finished.
Thanks for showing,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2006, 2:51 PM
Cecil that looks like a bowl for Andy so he can fill it with Butter Pecan ice cream. ;)

Going to be a good looking bowl.

Mike Ramsey
02-16-2006, 3:12 PM
Cecil, good looking salad bowl!! What kind of wood is it? Which coring
system do you use? Are you gonna soak it in alchy? Inquiring minds want to know!

Tom Jones III
02-16-2006, 3:31 PM
Yeah, what Mike said. Looks good so far, keep us updated.

Boy that lathe looks familiar. What chuck are you using for that bowl?

Mike Ramsey
02-16-2006, 3:40 PM
What chuck are you using for that bowl?

Looks like a Stronghold from where I'm setting?

Brad Schmid
02-16-2006, 4:06 PM
Nice lookin' bowl Cecil. Elm?

cheers
Brad

Cecil Arnold
02-16-2006, 4:22 PM
It's elm, and I'm using the stronghold with the #4 jaws. I used the McNaughton coring system, have a Oneway but it's for sale if anyone is interested. I think I'll get 4 bowls out of this piece and as soon as the last two are finished rough turning (this afternoon) they will all go into the alcohol. I think even Andy would get a tummy ache if he filled the big one with Butter Pecan (it would have to be Blue Bell) ice cream. Thanks for looking.

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 4:40 PM
Ohhhh look a place for John Harts tooties. Cecil that's one nice piece of turning. Your wife must be very proud, cept for the mess.

Keith Burns
02-16-2006, 5:03 PM
Great start Cecil:) How long before your able to complete it ? Can't wait to see it finished:) :)

Andy Hoyt
02-16-2006, 5:04 PM
.... contest including almost having dinner with Paul Neuman. ..... "Almost" only counts in horseshoes and tactical nukes. Then again, I once drove an ambulance for an outfit that was owned by Paul Newman's next door neighbor.

Nice bowl, Cecil. And those shavings are to die for. Well done.

Still got the OW rig, huh? Hmmmm.....

Jim Becker
02-16-2006, 5:21 PM
A "big-un" that one is, Cecil!! Very nice.

Jim Ketron
02-16-2006, 6:17 PM
Very Nice Cecil!
Looks like its going to make some nice bowls!
Oh yea Big bowls are fun to turn, but sanding them sucks:(
Have fun!

John Hart
02-16-2006, 7:09 PM
Monster bowl!!! That's awesome Cecil...cant wait for the finish!

Yes...those shavings are to die for!!:)

Corey Hallagan
02-16-2006, 7:59 PM
Great looking bowl and a sweet looking lathe!! Nice work!

Corey

Travis Stinson
02-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Awesome monster bowl Cecil! Can't wait to see the set.:cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Ken is looking Cecil! Nice monster bowl! I, like the others, can't wait to see it finished! With that large pile of shavings.........don't be driving Cecil!:D

George Morris
02-16-2006, 11:16 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Great bowl very nice size and shape. How will you dry it? </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Glenn Hodges
02-17-2006, 7:40 AM
I know she will love it. Hope no crack happens as it drys, good luck. I once lived in a small town and the house beside mine was the oldest home in town. I told everyone I lived in the next to the oldest home in town. The perceived end results vary according to how you describe it.