PDA

View Full Version : Specifics on Japan dryer?

Jamie Straw
02-16-2006, 1:24 PM
Hello, all, new member here with a question (a pound of NW smoked salmon for the first dead-on answer ;) ). Specifically how much Japan dryer would I add to, say, a cup of pure Tung oil? Or a pint? I see references to Japan dryer all over the place, but no specifics on the mix. Directions on the can are only for paint and varnish, but I'd like a tip from someone who's used it in tung oil. Thanks!

Jim DeLaney
02-16-2006, 2:18 PM
In my trial & error mixing, I've found that about a tablespoon full (~½ oz.) of dryer in a cup (8 oz.) of tung oil works pretty well.

Depending on temp and humidity, it cures pretty well overnight, when put on in a THIN (!) coat.

YMMV

Jim DeLaney
02-16-2006, 2:20 PM
Oh, BTW, remember NOT to put the unused mixture back into the can. DAMHIKT...

Jamie Straw
02-16-2006, 5:54 PM
Jim, I got a response back from Michael Dresdner. It would appear that Japan dryer actually may not affect tung oil at all! Depends on what agent(s) it has in it. The gist of his response was that Japan dryer is to be used in linseed oil, and that since tung oil dries much faster than does LO, there is no need to speed it up, and the various driers that are found in most OTC Japan driers may not even affect tung oil.

So, I've been chasing my tail on this one, needlessly it would appear. According to Jeff Jewitt, who also graciously answered a post on his forum at homesteadfinishing.com, tung oil only responds to a cobalt dryer. Cobalt may or may not be in any given Japan dryer I guess.

I don't think I'm going to experiment on this project -- too many things have gone wrong already! But I might pick up some cobalt dryer at the art supply store and try it out on a scrap board. Thanks for your input1

Howard Acheson
02-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Most Japan driers will not work with pure, real tung oil. This from Jeff Jewitt and Michael Dresdner on another forum:

"I got info (finally), from the best sources -- Michael Dresdner and Jeff Jewitt. Japan dryer usually doesn't have the right compounds in it for tung oil. A cobalt dryer is required. Japan dryer is used for linseed oil.

Jamie Straw
02-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Howie, that's me you're quoting there. ;):D ;)

Howard Acheson
02-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Howie, that's me you're quoting there. ;):D ;)

You're right FG, I have to stop drinking my martinis before composing my responses. :o

BTW, I see someone is taking issue with it. Doesn't agree with Jeff or Michael.