PDA

View Full Version : Another New guy and project....

Dan Smith
07-29-2003, 8:02 AM
Hello everyone, wanted to introduce myself as I have been lurking for a little while. I am 31, and fairly new to wood working having really only done 4 projects, but one was pretty substantial. Projects are, Norm's Wooden Wagon, a rocking horse, the table pictured below for my brother, and renovation of a 1970 32' wooden lobster boat.

The table has a birch top, and stained poplar legs. The inlayed stone is Penn Blue stone. My older brother saw this design in a shop in Italy and took pictures of the table. The table was selling for $2K in the Italian shop

http://wreck-finder.com/italytable1.jpg

So here is my version of the Italian table:

http://wreck-finder.com/jimstable1.JPG

and

http://wreck-finder.com/jimstable2.JPG

so any suggestions for a fairly new wood worker???

Thanks, and I really appreciate everything I learn from this site

Jim Becker
07-29-2003, 8:39 AM
so any suggestions for a fairly new wood worker???

Yes, one suggestion. Keep on doing what you are doing! Nice work and that table is a very attractive design...not the same-old, same-old. The contrast between the birch top and the darker legs is really great.

You might want to try a tall versions of the same design, such as a sofa table or hall table. It should translate to other sizes well, such as an end table.

Bob Lasley
07-29-2003, 8:46 AM
Dan,

Great table! Looks like another one in the works. As far as advice goes, as Jim said, keep doing what you're doing, keep trying new tehcniques and read everything about woodworking, including this forum, that you can get your hands on.

Good luck,
Bob

Noah Alkinburgh
07-29-2003, 8:50 AM
Dan,

I really like that! I am guessing that the stone is to set hot items (espresso or the like) on? and the solid part was for serving? or am I just reading functionality into a really cool design. I think that is fantastic. I am gonna keep those pic as a might do on my list. Thanks for sharing.

Noah

PS. Welcome to the Creek!!! I was so taken aback by the unique design I forgot to say hi :)

Kevin Hewitt
07-29-2003, 8:54 AM
Dan,

Very nice work. I have never seen that particular joinery used for the legs. With the contrasting wood I can't think of anything that would look better. Thanks for teaching me something.

Gump

Terry Hatfield
07-29-2003, 8:55 AM
Dan,

WOW...beautiful. My only suggestion would be that you need no suggestions. Glad you joined us here and thanks for posting the pics, we do love pics around here.

Terry

Ken Frantz
07-29-2003, 9:01 AM
WELCOME---GLAD TO SEE YA JOIN THIS GANG!!

Great looking table!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KEN

Mike Schwing
07-29-2003, 9:05 AM
Another warm welcome, this one from Baltimore, Dan.

I absolutely LOVE the stand for that table, is that the 240v version? <grin>

Nice work!

John Schreiber
07-29-2003, 12:05 PM
It's great to see some contemporary design with wood. It's riskier, but it sure has paid off with this table. I agree with Jim. If you keep moving forward with that theme you could come up with some really great stuff.

Dan Smith
07-29-2003, 1:05 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great comments. The "stand" the table is sitting on is only the 2hp version (110/240) right now on a 30 amp 110 circuit. The "one in the works" is actually my prototype made from scrap 2x4s and 4x4s (one of the legs is actually pressure treated) I think I will paint the prototype and use it as an outside table.

As far as continuing the design, my brother is already asking for end tables to go with it. So at least I will have some more projects to do.

Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions,

-dan

Von Bickley
07-29-2003, 1:11 PM
Dan,
Great looking table. Glad to see you using poplar. So many people think poplar is just a secondary wood to be used where it won't be seen. I have used poplar on end tables, sofa tables, small writing desks, etc. and have been well pleased with the way the poplar worked and finished.
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Lee Schierer
07-29-2003, 1:20 PM
Tell your brother he owes you. Great looking work. Glad you joined us!

Lars Thomas
07-29-2003, 1:49 PM
Nice looking table - well done. I like the way you incorporated the stone. They work well together.

As for advice for a new wood worker. It looks like you didn't make the mistake most of us make. And that is under-buying on your table saw. One other thing. . . hey let's see if we can make this into a list (article??)

Don't discount the value (as in utility) of quality hand tools
Learn to use (and sharpen) a scraper
Respect your router
It's OK and normal to have two or more routers
The purchase price of the router will be far exceeded by the cost of bits. The router is just your ante.
For bandsaw blades, you can't beat Timberwolf (Suffolk Machinery)
Subscribe to Fine Woodworking - It's inspiring.
A Lathe is a ton of fun.
If you make items for sale - price them appropriately relative to your time, effort and skill.
Your bench is your best friend
Your vice is your benches best friend
Your bench dogs are your vices best friend
You can not have too many clamps (of all assorted sizes)
Quality lumber is expensive, but don't deny yourself the pleasure
All other companies should aspire to the level of customer service provided by Lee Valley.
Buy your last tool first.
Screw drivers (not even going to mention chisels) are not for opening paint/finish cans. There's a special tool for that - go buy it.
Buy and use a dust collector
Investments in shop safety should be your highest priority.
It is possible to build an entire project without an air nailer.
There's several good wood working books out there loaded with tons of great techniques.
Internet Woodworking forums are a great place to pick up ideas and share successes
The 'Deals' at woodworking shows are generally overrated.

Any more?

David Blangger
07-29-2003, 2:26 PM
Welcome to the Creek!!
Great looking table and saw ;)

David

Ed Falis
07-29-2003, 5:15 PM
Hey Lars,

You're a regular know-it-all! Thanks for some great tips.

- Ed

Dennis Peacock
07-29-2003, 7:06 PM
Something else for the newbie.....

- Buy books on various aspects of wood joinery and practice the type of wood joints that are good for the beginner.

- Practice more challenging wood joinery as it will always be a challenge and a knowlege and skill builder for you.

- Learn all you can about finishing and practice using your own mixtures of finishes. Most of the best finishes have been developed by accident.

- Learn good sanding techniques and never forget to use them.

- Keep the shop area neat, not necessarily clean but neat as it will be a safer place to work in during each project.

John Seutter
07-30-2003, 6:42 AM
Just one additional rule I am trying to use:

When done with a tool, put it back in its home. The few minutes spent putting it back saves many minutes trying to find it the next time. :)

Don Farr
07-30-2003, 8:16 AM
And the Creek grows on! Welcome and really nice work.

Rob Overton
07-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Man Alive! That table is pretty. It is good to see someone take a picture and turn it into a beautiful piece. Thanks for the inspiration.

John Schreiber
07-30-2003, 1:36 PM
As for advice for a new wood worker. It looks like you didn't make the mistake most of us make. And that is under-buying on your table saw. One other thing. . . hey let's see if we can make this into a list (article??)

SNIP

Lars,

Great ideas. I'd love to see what other's have to say.