PDA

View Full Version : I'm done!

George Conklin
02-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I was quite content to turn a couple of pens now and then on my PSI lathe. Then I came along SMC. I was finished before I knew it.

Now with 3 lathes and a bucket load of turning stuff, I tell myself "that's it". No such luck! There's always somebody out there telling me about a new tool that will make me a better turner. Well, I better get that one too! Or someone here will show a really cool turning and I'll want to replicate it. Here comes a new tool! Maybe I can get some pointers from that video on the store shelf? I better buy it!

I believe it's been said that there's no nicer way to turn the bottom of a bowl than with a vacuum chuck. Really? Well, I better have one of those.

I done I tell you, DONE! I'm not spending another dime on turning stuff.

I gotta run. My local turning stuff store is running a 2% off sale.

George

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Yea George you as done as a Christmas Turkey. :eek: :D :D

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 11:23 AM
I was quite content to turn a couple of pens now and then on my PSI lathe. Then I came along SMC. I was finished before I knew it.

Now with 3 lathes and a bucket load of turning stuff, I tell myself "that's it". No such luck! There's always somebody out there telling me about a new tool that will make me a better turner. Well, I better get that one too! Or someone here will show a really cool turning and I'll want to replicate it. Here comes a new tool! Maybe I can get some pointers from that video on the store shelf? I better buy it!

I believe it's been said that there's no nicer way to turn the bottom of a bowl than with a vacuum chuck. Really? Well, I better have one of those.

I done I tell you, DONE! I'm not spending another dime on turning stuff.

I gotta run. My local turning stuff store is running a 2% off sale.

George

George you forgot a Trend helmet/longworth chuck and a whole bunch of other stuff:eek::eek: While your at the store pick up some turning wax. Beautiful finish and it makes the money slide outa your wallet easier:(

Keith Burns
02-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Never ending is right. The lathe is the cheap part of this black hole. I honestly think you will easily spend 20 times the cost of your lathe on tools and accessories. I have about 30 tools and use maybe six of them. Don't ask me to get rid of the ones I don't use though.:D

George Conklin
02-16-2006, 11:29 AM
George you forgot a Trend helmet/longworth chuck and a whole bunch of other stuff:eek::eek: While your at the store pick up some turning wax. Beautiful finish and it makes the money slide outa your wallet easier:(

Got the Trend faceshield but, what's this Longworth chuck you speak of, kind stranger?

George

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2006, 11:30 AM
I agree with the above. I set a budget of $400 for turning. I quit counting when I went past $700.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Accessories.............ah! There's a word SWMBO understands......I remodel a room in our home....she has to redecorate and accessorise......I have to ACCESSORISE my new lathe and shop! Yes......I knew you guys would help me find an excuse....ooops...reason or justification, as it is.

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 4:47 PM
Got the Trend faceshield but, what's this Longworth chuck you speak of, kind stranger?

George

George you actually make this chuck;) It's used to finish the bottom of bowls with. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30450

The above is a thread I started on making one. Course you have to buy a small face plate and dedicate it to the chuck. Then there's the bolts, washers and wing nuts. That pretty much does it cept for the plywood and a router and bits for it:p:p

John Hart
02-17-2006, 7:40 AM
George...you seem distraught. :D I feel badly for you.:D Is there anything I can do to help?:D Maybe you need a break.:D