PDA

View Full Version : LOML is pushing!!!

Guy Germaine
02-16-2006, 10:22 AM
I know this has been duscussed ad nauseum, but I'm too lazy to search:rolleyes:
My wife is wanting me to get a lathe. In fact, she just told me to buy one when my bonus comes in next month. She thinks I should get a mini. I would enjoy making pens, and small bowls, etc. My problem is that (I've had a lathe before) if I get the mini, I know I'll love it, and want a full size lathe, probably sooner than later. I've been looking at the Jet 14" mini, and have heard good things about it. If I get a full size lathe, can I still turn small items such as pens, or is it easier on a mini?

The "coniving" side of me says to get the mini now, and later on tell her that I need a larger one, thereby having BOTH! ;)

Andy Hoyt
02-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Guy - Welcome back to turning.

Seeing as you've already been there and done that, allow me to cut to the quick.

Save money and time by buying more capacity up front.

Identify the features and quality level you relate to.

Write the check.

Seems like a no brainer since your wife has already approved.

And yes. You can turn itty bitty stuff on big iron.

Guy Germaine
02-16-2006, 10:35 AM
That's pretty much what I've been thinking Andy. I just want to make sure that I can still do the smaller turnings on the larger lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Guy get what you want. Spend the dollars now. I am a new turner and already I wish sometimes I had just bit the bullet and got a bigger machine and been done with it. I was on the road this week and watched a gentleman down south turn a christmas tree ornament and a goblet both about the size of a nickel on a hugh 3 hp oliver machine that weigh 3,000 lbs. Ya got the green light go for it.

Jim Becker
02-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Yea, I agree with Bernie. Although a mini is something that can hang around as a second machine if you later get a larger lathe, if you really know you want to start bigger, do it now. You can turn small things on a big lathe...but not the opposite. Of course, your budget is also a factor...don't by a "bigger" lathe that is not on par with quality. Better to stick with the mini in that case and acquire a bigger, more capable machine later.

roy knapp
02-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Guy:
I thought much like you about the future projects that one may become interested in and felt about the same one buying a lathe that would not be capable of handling larger projects.
After asking some questions and getting help from members on this forum i ordered the Jet JWL-1442vs lathe. As i am doing this i am hoping to here from the dealer that has been delivered to him.
they told me this thursday or friday, cant wait.

JET JWL-1442VS:) :)

Bill Stevener
02-16-2006, 1:04 PM
Hi Guy,

Welcome to the Creek.

You folks sure have a nice museum down in your neck of the woods.

You seem to have made up your mind as to a lathe size. Some photos attached to relieve any lingering doubt as to turning small things on a large lathe.
The lathe used is driven with a 2+ hp motor, has a 16" swing, with capabilities to turn up to 30", and unlimited bed length.

I would recommend a size that can fit the shop, have room to turn comfortably on, is the best you can buy and is within your budget.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Cecil Arnold
02-16-2006, 2:06 PM
Welcome back to turning Guy. Seems you have a consensus.

Mike Ramsey
02-16-2006, 3:19 PM
Welcome back to turning Guy! I had to look that word up
"Ad nauseum" You were either talking about a rock band or...the
puke factor :).

Guy Germaine
02-16-2006, 3:44 PM
THanks everyone. Which museum are you talking about Bill? If you're talking about the new Lincoln Museum in Springfield, that about 2 hours Northeast of me. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that my cousin was the Architect of that. I haven't seen it yet, but I hear it's very nice.

Bill Stevener
02-16-2006, 4:17 PM
Always led to believe Belleville was known as the stove capital of the world. There was a small museum in town a number of years back, last visit was some 25 years ago. Was maintained by a pattern maker turner. He recently sold out, actually gave away his pattern making lathes and moved to Florida. Believe the small museum is still there.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 4:52 PM
Guy bigger is better. Go for what will fit thru your door, even if you have to take it off the hinges. (course that's flat work and we don't want a description of it) Just pics of the new lathe.:)

Guy Germaine
02-16-2006, 6:06 PM
Always led to believe Belleville was known as the stove capital of the world. There was a small museum in town a number of years back, last visit was some 25 years ago. Was maintained by a pattern maker turner. He recently sold out, actually gave away his pattern making lathes and moved to Florida. Believe the small museum is still there.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

That's probably Empire Stove. I'll have to ask around and see what's going on with it. I've lived in the area (Freeburg, Belleville, Millstadt) all my life and never heard of it. Go figure. :cool:

Tom Sontag
02-16-2006, 7:47 PM
I think the real dillema is whether to buy a general purpose lathe or a dedicated bowl lathe. Seems these bowl folks get sucked into "needing" some features that are a compromise on a long bed. But, if pens are part of your future, a standard 12" or 14" one seems just right.

Don't forget to watch Craigslist and similar sources; cheaper old iron is available around here.

Bill Stevener
02-16-2006, 7:52 PM
Not so bad Guy.
I live 20 miles west of the town??? of Farmer City, where the first power plant in the state of IL. was established. 99.9 % of the population of that town dose not even know it exists today. Some what more modern and still in operation.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Corey Hallagan
02-16-2006, 7:53 PM
I am taking bets, Bernie is going to have a big'gun before the All Star Break!

Corey