PDA

View Full Version : Shop layout input wanted

Jeff Horton
02-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Acquired some new-old iron and this has made me rethink my shop arrangement. I have a large daylight basement. Because of the grade I ended up with a large garage door in center of the shop. This messed up my space. I need to leave room for a car or tractor to worked on. They are not stored there normally.

Last night I started to play around with a new arrangement. Thought I would toss it out and see what I have missed. My wood is stored on the left side. So I bring the wood out and it typically will go to the RAS or the Table saw to be cut to size. Then to the planner. With the car out of the shop I have lots of space to feed into these two tools. I placed those first and then went from there. TEll what you think and how you might do it different.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/shop.jpg
(http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/shop.jpg)

Jim Becker
02-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Looks sensible, Jeff. And having that large space in the middle can come in quite handy.

David Fried
02-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Jeff,

Two lathes, two drill presses, and running water! That's awesome but a spiral staircase in the shop put's you in a league of your own. The layout looks nice. If you have some things on wheels you can use the car space when it's available. (Post pictures - hint, hint!!)

Dave Fried

Dave Richards
02-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Don't kid us about a car or tractor in that space. You're going to build a boat there. I just know it. :D

Looks like a great shop space.

Jeff Horton
02-16-2006, 1:35 PM
Don't kid us about a car or tractor in that space. You're going to build a boat there. I just know it. :D

Are you a physco or ..... no tha's physic, or something?? :confused:

Actually I am at some point.:cool:

Tom Pritchard
02-16-2006, 1:52 PM
Jeff, I don't see any kind of dust collection on your print, are you planning on having a DC? If so, you should draw that in now so that you can optimize your duct runs and drops. I would also look at putting your hand tools such as clamps, hammers, chisels, scrapers, planers, etc. on a mobile cart so you can move them to whatever area you're working in.

The shop looks great! Have fun with the planning!

Dan Oelke
02-16-2006, 3:10 PM
I'm not sure - but I think that the little arrows show the operator standing posistion. Given that - are you sure about the placement of the table saw that close to the posts? Are you going to end up with problems when trying to handle a larger piece of sheet goods? Maybe move the jointer to the other side - it can go right next to the posts, and then move the table saw down a little?

Also - depending on what you have on mobile platforms, you can put some stuff in that center area, and just move it when the project is in place. Jointer and/or planer in your arrangement would be possible cannidates.

Jeff Horton
02-16-2006, 5:23 PM
Tom, dust collection is high on my list. I will probably buy a Clear Vue in the next few weeks. That is part of what prompted this rearrangement. I don't have anything drawn in because of the software I am using. It really doesn't have a good way to do that. As I mentioned I just got several old machines. All of them need at least a good cleaning and a couple of them need a complete strip down, repaint and some PM done to them. Once I got them unloaded I realized really fast that I was going to have to totally rearrange the shop. So, I want to decide where they will go now so I can plan my ducting system for the when they are up and running.

Which brings me to your question Dan. This is an old 3D architect program I am using (I use it in my work to do basic floor plans). The 'machines' are actually just kitchen cabinet modules resized to match the machine it represents. If I had been consistent the arrows could have been operator positions. Just by coincidence most are. The Planner and two Drill presses beside the Table saw are not right.

The Drill presses have the motors against the table saw. The DP tables are in front of the post. As for the planer wood will feed into it more or less parallel to the Table saw and under the tables on the DP. I figure I can swing then around or raise them up high enough they would not be in the way. If I put it at an angle like I have shown it should clear the DP's no problem. Worst case it the wood feeds under the raised tables.

Because I am going to install DC system I want the machinery stationary for the most part. Jointer will probably be a on a mobile base. I have doubts about where I show it. At the moment all I have is a Rockwell/Delta small 6" jointer and it can fit in a lot of places. But I am thinking ahead when for when I but a long 8" jointer. If I need to I will put it on a mobile base and store it somewhere out of the way.

The table saw as drawn should be for a 50" fence and outfeed table to the rigt and behind the saw. If I need to cut anything larger than 48" wide I would rather do it with a skill saw and a guide I built. I find it very hard for me to run a full sheet of ply through the table saw anyway.

Tom Pritchard
02-16-2006, 6:04 PM
Hey Jeff, by the way you list your location as the "Heart of Dixie". Where is that?

Glad to hear that the DC is a big part of your project, and it sounds as if you are off to a great start! I agree with the full sheet of plywood on the tablesaw, way too hard to handle safely. Keep us posted!

Jeff Horton
02-17-2006, 7:12 PM
Hey Jeff, by the way you list your location as the "Heart of Dixie". Where is that?

I thought everone knew Alabama was the heart of Dixie. ;) We have had that on our licsence plates since I was just a kid. :D