PDA

View Full Version : Walnut stumps

Jeff Singleton
02-16-2006, 8:29 AM
I have just aquired a number of walnut stumps with the root ball attached. They were dug up about four years ago power washed and let to set. There is a little dry rot but only a little. I have various projects to turn such as lamb base and maybe a couple bowls but here's the real question. If I crosscut a section of one of the stumps as close to the ball as I can what would my next step be? The section would be about 4-6 thick and maybe 30" diameter, give or take half a foot. I want to turn a platter and would like to keep the raw edge if possible but I am not sure how dry or wet it needs to be. We ripped one in half and the wood is very solid with nice color and some neat grain but no burl and only slight swirl from where all the roots meet the trunk. It is advisable to turn a crosscut section that large and would it need to be boiled, Anchor sealed, alcoholed or what? I have seen only one blow-up in my years of turning patterns and after the roof was reparied and the lights were replaced and a little electric rewired everything was fine. One nasty catch and a ruined pattern but luckily no one was hurt and the only thing broke was the tool rest and it was supposed to break under a catch. Sounded like a shotgun going off. I don't want that to happen because I forgot to do something like proper drying. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Singleton:o

Tom Sontag
02-16-2006, 7:50 PM
I would dry this wood with extreme caution. The swirling grain means you have end grain all around, so just be defensive in whatever way you prefer.

Gary Max
02-16-2006, 7:56 PM
Jeff-- I am hoping you got a BIG lathe to handle a hunk of wood that size.
Anytime I cut a blank it gets a coat of Anchorseal. I have found that wood wants to start cracking as soon as fresh air hits it.

Mac McAtee
02-17-2006, 8:54 AM
When you get that lamb base done I want to see a picture. I never can get the critters to stand still long enough to fit the base to them.(;-}