PDA

View Full Version : I was warned.

Dave Richards
02-16-2006, 8:20 AM
I was warned to stay away from this forum. Something about even the smallest bit of loose brain matter can get caught on the Spinny Forum and you get sucked in. He said, "Just stay away from there."

It's like touching the door frame that has the Wet Paint sign hanging on it. :rolleyes:

There goes my shop fund.

Bob Noles
02-16-2006, 8:26 AM
There is no safety net either...... sorry Dave

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 8:32 AM
This place is like a giant vacumn designed to suck all your money outa your pockets. And yes I warned you just last nite, didn't I? But it's a hoot to chase your bowl blanks all around the shop, good excercise.

Glenn Clabo
02-16-2006, 8:41 AM
You and your shop fund are in BIG trouble Dave. The WoodRat will be very...very...lonely. (at least mine is)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2006, 8:43 AM
All you have to do is pass through the area and you can even be pushed into the vortex!

Keith Burns
02-16-2006, 8:47 AM
You are correct Dave. You have been captured and there is NO ESCAPE !

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 8:48 AM
Ken, we don't push. The vortex is a sucking power of it's own. However, that said, I think Andy has a long pole with a hook on it to help.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2006, 8:58 AM
Okay.....it's really really long pole and he just "nudges" with it if necessary!:D

Mike Ramsey
02-16-2006, 9:02 AM
Dave, you might as well wax up those Flat tools, cover em up & get em
stored away....Your not gonna need em anymore :D

Cecil Arnold
02-16-2006, 9:14 AM
Except your table saw, it is a great place to stack stuff while you're turning. Welcome to the dark side.

Tyler Howell
02-16-2006, 9:14 AM
Be Strong Dave:mad: .
So Many boats to build, Your son and wife need you. Just say no to spin crack!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2006, 9:42 AM
Stare in to the center of the vortex Tyler:) ......relax:) ......this won't hurt:) .......you'll enjoy it:) .........you won't feel a thing:) .........stare into the vortex Tyler:) .........relax:) ......this won't hurt:) ........you'll enjoy it.........:)

Don't listen to Tyler Dave.......you are a goner!:D

Dave Richards
02-16-2006, 9:44 AM
Tyler, I'm trying to be strong. Really I am. It is so difficult though. you're right about the boats. I'm lusting after a new one to build.

I know how I could justify having a lathe with the boat building stuff. I need one that can manage about 18 feet between centers. :D

Ken, you're making me dizzy. :D

Cecil Arnold
02-16-2006, 9:45 AM
Can anyone besides me picture Tyler, turning in his pink thong and a smock. Think about the freedom Tyler and as Ken says, stare into the vortex . . .

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2006, 9:48 AM
Cecil.....the vortex is all accepting.....hey....it even accepted me!:D As far as Tyler...in a pink thong....turning in a smock:confused: .......Let my eyes be blinded and I have to turn by touch!:eek: :D

Glenn Clabo
02-16-2006, 9:55 AM
Can anyone besides me picture Tyler, turning in his pink thong and a smock. Think about the freedom Tyler and as Ken says, stare into the vortex . . .

Cecil...Not even plucking my eyes out will get that vision out of my mind...I'll have nightmares for weeks.

Dave Richards
02-16-2006, 10:06 AM
What smock?

:D :D

Sorry Tyler.

Mike Wilkins
02-16-2006, 10:08 AM
I know the feeling. For years I had a Craftsman lathe and used it for everything from table legs to bowls. Got a pre-owned Woodfast lathe, and now I cannot keep my eyes out of the Packard and Craft Supplies catalogs.
This is just like any other tool. The accessories cost almost as much as the tool itself. I need therapy. Maybe some time in the shop will do it.

Rob Bourgeois
02-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Dave and Tyler...maybe we should start a support group for thsoe who want to turn but only turn.

Just to show how much dedication I have to flat work...I am using my lathe bed to hold parts for a coffee table. I can resist--so far its been 6 months with a lathe and only 4 or 5 bowls and a few spindles. During that same time I have done a couple of carvings, 4 big flat projects( plus some little ones) and a whole bunch of scrollsaw work.

Just think of your lathe as another tool:D

/I think I mean get banned for that last comment...:p

Andy Hoyt
02-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Ken, we don't push. The vortex is a sucking power of it's own. However, that said, I think Andy has a long pole with a hook on it to help.

Okay.....it's really really long pole and he just "nudges" with it if necessary!:D

It's all in the wrist.

Keith Burns
02-16-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't think Tyler ever saw this thread...he should look and see the opportunities available to him.:D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30927

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Dave don't fight it. It is a losing battle. Just ask me.

Dave Richards
02-16-2006, 11:43 AM
You know, I'm reminded a bit of the Royal Navy sailors from the days of the tall ships. Most didn't bother learning to swim. In the even they fell overboard it only prolonged their struggle before they succumbed to the icy waters. It was impossible to get the ship turned around or get a boat down in time.

Maybe, instead of fighting it, I should just give in.

By the way, where do you fellas all shop for your turning lingerie? :D

Oh and I'm still waiting for someone to tell me about that long lathe. ;)

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 4:35 PM
I know how I could justify having a lathe with the boat building stuff. I need one that can manage about 18 feet between centers. :D

Buddy now your in for it biggg time:eek:! Bill Grumbine has, on his website I think, a picture of him turning a mast for a sailboat.:eek::eek::eek: Just you venture over there and look at the size of that turning. Try that on a drill press:D:D

Tyler Howell
02-16-2006, 5:34 PM
I don't think Tyler ever saw this thread...he should look and see the opportunities available to him.:D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30927
I saw it Keith I was in a hurry but I did LMAO.
The world is flat!!!!

Tyler Howell
02-16-2006, 5:38 PM
You know, I'm reminded a bit of the Royal Navy sailors from the days of the tall ships. Most didn't bother learning to swim. In the even they fell overboard it only prolonged their struggle before they succumbed to the icy waters. It was impossible to get the ship turned around or get a boat down in time.

Maybe, instead of fighting it, I should just give in.

By the way, where do you fellas all shop for your turning lingerie? :D

Oh and I'm still waiting for someone to tell me about that long lathe. ;)

Bill G made one check his web. Better yet don't Sketch up will be useless with that spinny stuff:rolleyes: ....... You'll go blind:rolleyes: ........ I give up he's toast.

Glenn Clabo
02-16-2006, 5:40 PM
By the way guys...If you didn't know Dave here will find a way to incorporate SketchUp into turning very soon. So save some more money...it's a great tool... and Dave is a wizard.

Jim Ketron
02-16-2006, 6:34 PM
Just to show how much dedication I have to flat work...I am using my lathe bed to hold parts for a coffee table.

Just think of your lathe as another tool:D

/I think I mean get banned for that last comment...:p

Rob! Rob! Rob!
What are we Going to do with you?
Andy? Travis? Keith? can you belive this Guy?:D

John Hart
02-16-2006, 6:56 PM
Rob is in full denial. He stacks other stuff on the lathe as a blockade against the vortex.
Dave...don't follow this example...You'll lose your coffee table parts in the shavings. And they are really nice shavings:)

Keith Burns
02-16-2006, 7:08 PM
Rob! Rob! Rob!

I hope to get to meet Rob in person in a week or so and when I do I am going to WOOP UP ON HIM BIG TIME !

Andy Hoyt
02-16-2006, 8:08 PM
My guess is that way too much time has been devoted to the Abita Brewery Louisiana Restoration Effort, or not enough.:D

John Miliunas
02-16-2006, 8:22 PM
Hmmmm...Let's see. Dave is about 3 hours from me. If I chuck up about a 20" piece, turn the Vega on full blast, I believe I can get him sucked into that vortex! Yeah, sounds like a plan!!! :D Dave, just save yourself the trouble and give it up. It's really pointless. Do not pass "GO", do not collect $200.00. Go directly to Amazon and order yourself a spinny thing!:D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2006, 9:10 PM
Dave......may I recommend a Jet Mini VS? It serves as a good learning tool for me!

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 9:23 PM
Dave......may I recommend a Jet Mini VS? It serves a good learning tool for me!

Looks like Ken is already going to move up to a ONEWAY/VEGA/POWERMATIC machine:eek:. The vortex in him is so strong it's spitting him out the other side:rolleyes::p:p

Jim

Dave Richards
02-17-2006, 9:18 AM
I told Kari about this last night. Big mistake. She just rolled her eyes at me. I think I'll have to show her some pictures of the work you guys have been turning out. (Ha! Get it? I made a pun! Oh well. :rolleyes: )

I've seen Mr G's mast turning lathe set up but if I recall he used two lathes for that. I have to get one, first.

A mini lathe sounds like a good start but I think I'm going to look for something bigger. I've got a sort of an over engineer's idea about how I can get a spar lathe out of the deal. I'll probably have to make a SketchUp drawing of it. If anyone's interested, I'll post it when it is done.

Thanks for all the encouragement. Thanks, too to Tyler for trying to protect me.

Oh and John, please be careful cranking up your spinny thing in an attempt to suck me into the vortex. If that hunk of wood is a bit unbalanced it might depart the lathe and smack me in the brain bucket. That might be hard on that piece of wood. :D

Jim Dunn
02-17-2006, 9:41 AM
I've seen Mr G's mast turning lathe set up but if I recall he used two lathes for that. I have to get one, first.:D
We didn't say it would be cheap:D:D Two lathes, twice the room needed= TWICE AS BIGGA SHOP:p:p;) You gotta have room for those 40' sparpostthinggys.

Dave Richards
02-17-2006, 9:43 AM
Glenn mentioned SketchUp so I decided I'd just whip out a little mahogany bowl. It's my first one so go easy on me. ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-17-2006, 10:08 AM
That's the trouble with those "virtural" turnings.......the chips don't smell like those exotics coming off a real lathe and thus don't have the resultant effect!:rolleyes: :D

Travis Stinson
02-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Rob! Rob! Rob!
Don't worry Jim, we'll get him straightened out soon enough.:D

John Hart
02-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Don't worry Jim, we'll get him straightened out soon enough.:D

Or Rounded out? :)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Or spun out!

Andy Hoyt
02-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Or augered in - when he hits the bottom of the abyss.

Travis Stinson
02-17-2006, 11:52 AM
There's a bottom????

Ken Fitzgerald
02-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Looks like Ken is already going to move up to a ONEWAY/VEGA/POWERMATIC machine:eek:. The vortex in him is so strong it's spitting him out the other side:rolleyes::p:p

Jim

Uhh...Jim........I'm upgrading alright! My salmon bonkers don't impress real turners but my wife and a friend of hers have asked me if I could turn a spindle long enough to make a full sized replica of Bill Stevenor's itty bitty contest entry. I've just contacted the newly opened Woodcraft store in Spokane WA. They have 3 extention beds for my Jet MiniVS. It looks like I'm ordering an extention bed! So it's just a slow fall into the vortex.....Did I mention that I've made my first order from Packard to fill out my ensemble as recommended by Andy!

Dave.........relax........the only thing hurts is you credit card! :rolleyes:

Tyler.........stare into the vortex..........relax.............it won't hurt........you can't resist............relax........you'll enjoy it..............relax.........:rolleyes: :D

Tyler you really want a spinny thing!

John.......get that palomino and name it Trigger!

Andy Hoyt
02-17-2006, 12:32 PM
....John.......get that palomino and name it Trigger!
I suggest Bottomless Pit - son of Vortex; out of The Abyss

Tyler Howell
02-17-2006, 12:36 PM
I can resist. I'm strong, My thong is on straight (and not too tight:o ). The world is Flat, Just say no to spin crack.:D :D :D

Don Baer
02-17-2006, 12:54 PM
I can resist. I'm strong, My thong is on straight (and not too tight:o ). The world is Flat, Just say no to spin crack.:D :D :D

Tyler,
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated...:D

John Hart
02-17-2006, 12:54 PM

Strange thing Tyler....I wouldn't think that a guy who wears a pink thong out in public like you do, would be so tied down to the flat stuff. Be free Tyler! Let your spirit soar!:)

'Sides....This Spin Crack makes everybody happy...not just the user!;)

Dave Richards
02-17-2006, 2:04 PM
Gee, I thought that crack was called a "plumber's smile." :D