PDA

View Full Version : Motor Cover for Old Unisaw

Peter Gerhardt
02-16-2006, 8:13 AM
Hello All,
Although I joined several years ago a new house has kept me from even lurking hear until recently.

I am now in the process of getting my shop organized and recently purchased a DC and connected to my old Unisaw that I purchased about a year ago. The saw is an old oval hole model (circa 1947) and does not have a motor cover. I have attached the dust collector but think it would be much more effective if I had a motor cover. Can anyone see any problem if I made one from material on had, such as ply and perhaps some Plexiglas? Any Fire hazard? I really would prefer not to have to go to a metal fabricate to have one made from sheet metal. Anyone know of a possible source to obtain an OEM cover? I doubt I could get one from Delta

Any help appreciated.<O:p

Thanks,<O:p

Peter<O:p

Bill Simmeth
02-16-2006, 8:33 AM
Hi Peter and welcome to the Creek! OEM covers are rare as hen teeth. (Well, almost. I found a motor cover, but haven't seen any teeth on my hens yet.) They come up on e*ay occassionally and go for ~$200-$250. Your plan to make one from ply/plexi is fine. Just make sure you leave enough room for the motor in the full-tilt position. Good luck!

David Fried
02-16-2006, 9:33 AM
Peter,

Welcome to the creek! I purchased a replica motor cover for my 1946 unisaw. Of course, it's only been a year so I haven't gotten it installed yet.:rolleyes:
I bought it from a guy in Southern California who had several aluminium covers cast using a friends motor cover as the original. He used to list them on that auction site and the old wood working machines site. I know Dev mentioned such covers being on the oww site in the past year. I believe I paid $100 including shipping.

Just one more, possible, option.

Dave Fried

Marcus Ward
02-16-2006, 9:55 AM
I think you got ripped off, Dave. That's a bedpan! :D

Jim DeLaney
02-16-2006, 9:58 AM
The Grizzly 1023 motor cover should fit. Of course, you'd have to repaint it...

David Fried
02-16-2006, 10:52 AM
I think you got ripped off, Dave. That's a bedpan! :D

Shhhhhhh! Paint it Delta gray and no one will know ;)

Dave Fried

Michael Gibbons
02-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Peter, It looks like the Unisaw hasn't really changed over all these years,so it's possible that the new black plastic covers that are supplied with the current saws may fit. They are universal so they should fit either side. ???

Bart Leetch
02-16-2006, 11:18 AM
My 1953 Delta Unisaw + the $34.95 Grizzly G4223 & 2 4" hinges with removable pins & self drilling tapping screws pre-drill the holes smaller it makes it easier to drive the screws & drill & tap for the knob that holds door closed. Just paint it the right color. At this price why would you want to spend the time to build one?:eek: :D

Besides that it looks great.

Peter Gerhardt
02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Bart you are correct for that price it doesn't matter what color it is, it can always be painted. I much rather be spending my shop time building something else.

Although there are no dimensions listed the current Delta plastic offering doesn't look like it is deep enough at the bottom of the cover. The motor on my saw is huge and sticks out about 6" beyond the cabinet. It looks like the Grizzly cover will fit without a problem.

Thanks to all.

Peter