PDA

View Full Version : What paint do you use to refinish your woodworking tools?

Josh Goldsmith
02-16-2006, 1:27 AM
I recently recieved a jet 15" planer that i am going to be fixing up to new condition. My question is what kind of paint do you use for woodworking tools. I would imagine something that is a little more durable than standard paint. I used to paint cars so i have the skill and the tools to spray the paint with a hvlp gun. Thanks and looking forward to your responces. Josh

philip marcou
02-16-2006, 3:11 AM
I don't know what you got there in CALIFORNIA but in general terms I like a quick drying ,sprayable enamel, hammer tone finish.It also doubles as a rust inhibiting under coat and is noy fussy about what was there before.
Medium green ofcourse is the colour of good machinery.

Mike Wilkins
02-16-2006, 9:54 AM
If you have access to automotive spray equipment, you are already on the right track. Industrial paints can only be sprayed, and are available from places such as Sherwin Williams. They have several colors that are normally used in industrial applications.
As for us mere mortals like me, I just use the Rustoleum paints available from the big box stores. Sand the metal; or just use wire brushes in a drill or grinder, then prime the part. I have used aerosal cans with good luck.
I just got a used Woodfast lathe; after wire brushing it all over, I sprayed on a single coat of the Hammerite paint in a green tone. Looks better than the original in my opinion.
Spray cans are the way to go if you do not have spray equipment.

Rob Will
02-17-2006, 8:22 AM
About a month ago we had a thread about this. Seems like there was a concensus for "two part" industrial epoxy and "two stage" automotive paint.

Rob