PDA

View Full Version : Mask/Respirator Questions

Martin Shupe
02-16-2006, 12:46 AM
If you wear a mask when you apply finish, please tell me about it. I think I need to get one, and I need one that will protect me from the volatile components in Waterlox.

I think I would prefer one with replaceable cartridges, but would like to hear what others use.

I don't spray finishes, and I am not sure that I ever will, but would not be opposed to a "spray quality" mask.

Thanks!!!

nic obie
02-16-2006, 1:56 PM
Hi Martin,

I spray lacquer and use the 3-M cartridge type mask with a pre-filter. If you get the cartridge that is good for organic vapors you will be fine. The pre-filters are cheap but the replacement main filters cost about $10. My local BORG sells them. I've found that the med. size fits most faces.

Store the mask in a plastic bag and the filters will last much longer.

Mike Monroe
02-16-2006, 2:09 PM
I wear a 3M model 7500 half mask quite often. I typically have the P100 filters on it and switch to the organic vapor cartridges when using smelly finishes. It's very comfortable and does a good job sealing around the nose and mouth. I believe it's made out of a silicone rubber that's very soft and non-irritating. I use to wear (for years) a cheaper half mask from a BORG, the 3M is 100% more comfortable and not that much more $. I purchased mine online from a safety supply company.