PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Cutting Board Project? (and introduction)

Shannon Grizzell
02-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Hi everyone. Please allow me to (formally) introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while and have really enjoyed the camaraderie and the wealth of great information here at SMC.

I've been working wood on a very part time basis for about 4 years or so. In the last several months, I'm just beginning to really find the time to spend in the shop, so I'm looking forward to many more projects. I'm also looking forward to learning lots more from you guys and hopefully contributing something along the way.

My most recent project was a cutting board for my cousin who has recently returned from Iraq. He's member of the Texas National Guard, 56th Bridage.

The board is made from hard maple, framed by walnut. His brigade logo, called the "T-Patch", is inlaid in the center in bloodwood and maple. His ambition, now that he's back in the States is to do some serious BBQ cook-off competitions. Given his interest, a cutting board seemed a fitting "Welcome Home/Thanks for your service" gift. Hopefully, he'll enjoy it, even though it probably won't ever see the business end of a carving knife.

Thanks for looking!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Excellent board and gift! Welcome to the Creek Shannon!

Dewayne Baker
02-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Welcome to the group Shanon. You did a great job on that inlay.

What inlay method did you use? I have worked with bloodwood and I know it likes to bleed on to the lighter woods during the first coat of finish. Did you have that problem or what did you do to minimize it?

Jason Tuinstra
02-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Shannon, great looking cutting board. I'm sure your cousin is going to enjoy it a lot. Nice intro to SMC. Welcome!

Lee DeRaud
02-16-2006, 1:52 AM
I have worked with bloodwood and I know it likes to bleed on to the lighter woods during the first coat of finish. Did you have that problem or what did you do to minimize it?Hmmm...I've seen that with padauk, but never with bloodwood. (Actually that's why I use bloodwood, even though I like the look of padauk better.) What type of finish are you using that has that problem?

Vaughn McMillan
02-16-2006, 2:07 AM
Very nice work on the board, nice gesture for your cousin's contribution, and nice introduction to the Creek. We'll be looking forward to seeing more of your projects.

- Vaughn

Shannon Grizzell
02-16-2006, 9:23 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

Dewayne, the Bloodwood inlay is 1/4" thick, cut with a 5 degree bevel on the scroll saw. I traced the inlay and then free-handed the recess with a router. After leveling with a scraper and sanding, I cleaned the surface with compressed air. The finish is walnut oil, rubbed out with wax and steel wool.

I didn't have any problems with the bloodwood trying to bleed :rolleyes: while finishing.

Dick Parr
02-16-2006, 9:42 PM
Welcome to the Creek and great job.

Dan Oliphant
02-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Shannon, welcome and a very nice project in construction and in purpose.

Jim Dunn
02-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Shannon welcome to the creek. Get your cousin involved in ww/ing. He can cook lunch while your in the shop.:)

lou sansone
02-17-2006, 4:42 AM
great job and most importantly great gift for those who serve our nation.
Thanks to both of you

respectfully
Lou

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-17-2006, 4:54 AM
Welcome!

Great job on the board, great gift, and a great intro, you even kept the Pic Police happy!

Home run!

Cheers!

Pete Harbin
02-17-2006, 9:07 AM
Nicely done Shannon! It's a beautiful board and our servicemen and women all deserve to have someone treat them as specially and uniquely.

I'm sure he'll display it proudly in his home and maybe even durring his cook-offs. Not to put you right back to work, but maybe provide him with a second board with the T-Patch inlay that he can put into action and proudly show off.

Pete

Lou Morrissette
02-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Shannon,

Welcome to the Creek. Great job on the board and inlay.

Lou

Don Baer
02-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Welcome to the creek and a very fine board