PDA

View Full Version : Help With Mobile Base For My TS

Mike Goetzke
02-15-2006, 11:33 PM
OK you guys have been a great help so far with my new saw set-up - need help on another item:

I have a Craftsman 22124 with the 22103 mobile base. I first hooked it up with the kick down wheels to the left because that is the side I push/pull on to take the saw in/out and it's easier to get at the pedals.

I then moved my rip fence rail to the right 10" and added a phenolic router table and now there's a threat the saw will fall over if reasonable force is put on the far right. So I then put the kick down wheels to the right of the saw cabinet - this helped quite a bit because it changed the leverage point of the feet, but, it's hard to get at the pedals now and if you push real hard I think you could still push the saw over (although very unlikely).

Here's a shot of the saw base:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/IMG_1640_1_1_1.jpg

Now here is a base intended for a Jet lathe that I picked up on clearance at Woodcraft for $30 - it has two fixed handwheel lockable wheels on one side and a single swivel wheel on the other:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/IMG_1641_2_1_1.jpg

I intended on leaving the Craftsman base on the saw and cutting the center bar of the lathe base up to one of the triangles and then bolting the bracket you see laying there to the center bar of the lathe mobile base and the other end of the bracket to the end on the saw cabinet (the saw cabinet has a re-enforcing channel at the bottom edge). Also, I plan to add two legs at the right of the saw extention and let them rest in the pockets of the lathe base.

What I need help on is how should I arrange the pieces?

For example I was going to leave the kick wheels on the right of the saw and save the single swivel wheel side of the lathe base but there are many variations. I think it's best to only have one set of fixed wheels otherwise it probably won't be easy to move.

You suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

Bill Fields
02-16-2006, 12:12 AM
Mike:

Looks like you are the right track.

I got frustrated with most of the "lockable" casters, and some of the "step-on" systems.

Now, I build my own bases (real sturdy) out of a couple of layers of 3/4 MDF and 5" or 6" all-swivel casters. This approach raises the working height up to a comfortable level for me (40-42").

A couple of simple wood chocks (and the weight) holds things steady.

My case is perhaps different. I work in a 3-car garage that needs to be re-configured frequently, and I work outside a lot (Arizona you know!).

If I had your saw, extension table and wanted to add a router table as part of the assembly, I would (for my case only) go with double MDF at 3' x 5' with 6 (count 'em) 6" ball bearing all swivel casters.

Just be careful on any inclines!

Bill