PDA

View Full Version : Lion Miter Trimmer

Peter Lyon
02-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Everyday on my way to get a coffee at work, I stop and peruse the employee bulletin board. I've been doing this for approximately 16 years and have yet to find anything of note -- well, that is until today. Buried under umpteen posters for local theatrical productions, real estate flyers and requests for sponsorship for the various 10Ks and walk-a-thons, I noticed a 3" by 5" card with the words "Lion Miter Trimmer for sale - $50" scribbled on it.

I called the number listed and discovered that it belongs to an amature photographer who bought this new sometime back to make his own picture frames with. He said he remembers using it for 3 cuts. Subsequenty, he has purchased a compound miter saw and no longer feels that he has any need for the trimmer. It has been stored away ever since.

A little research confirmed what I suspected, that the trimmer is meant to augment the power miter saw, but, if he's happy with the results that the power tool provides him, who am I to argue?:rolleyes:

Now to get to the point of this post, barring any obvious defects (which the seller (a co-worker) has assured me that there aren't any), I've verbally agreed to purchase said tool tomorrow.

Does anyone here have any experience with this tool? My recollection is that its considered sort of the "standard" for this type of thing, but maybe I'm confused?:confused: I confess to not having an immediate need but can't help but feel that this is one of those opportunities that comes along that should be taken advantage of.

What does the collective wisdom of the experts here think?

Andy Hoyt
02-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Peter - The Lion Miter Trimmer is made by the Pootatuck Corp and they've been making this thing virtually unchanged for over a hundred years. It is indeed the standard by which all others are deemed inferior.

If you do a lot of miters with exacting tolerances, you'll want this thing.

I use mine routinely on my models.

Here's the website: http://www.lionmitertrimmer.com/

Ken Pywell
02-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Hi Peter, I have one as well. I bought it a few years ago for some projects. For $50, I'd snag it. Its one of those tools that, at least for me, is not used often, but is the tool of choice for certain jobs.
Ken

Bill Simmeth
02-16-2006, 7:28 AM
Peter - The Lion Miter Trimmer is made by the Pootatuck Corp and they've been making this thing virtually unchanged for over a hundred years. It is indeed the standard by which all others are deemed inferior.Well, that depends. I have a few Oliver/American and Fox trimmers that make a Lion blush! And then there's this hoss --
It's a Leland-Faulconer made in the late 1890s. The company made 500 of them and then ditched the idea to go on and start building a thing called the Cadillac.

For $50, I'd grab the Lion. They are useful little machines.

Keith Outten
02-16-2006, 8:54 AM
Peter,

I have a Lion Trimmer. For the smoothest miters you have ever seen the Lion trimmer is the perfect tool. It will cut shavings so thin you can see through them, no sawblade can compare IMO. Even white oak cuts like butter.

Andy Hoyt
02-16-2006, 9:35 AM
Bill - My Lion bows to your Leland-Faulconer. Nice!

Scott Banbury
02-16-2006, 9:50 AM
Peter,

I use a Lion regularly to sneak up on perfect miter joints. I don't like the sound of universal motors so I typically skip the the chopsaw and just eyeball the cut a little long with a handsaw and then sneak up on it with the Lion.

It's also very handy for marqu(parqu)etry.

The key to it's prformance is that the face of the blade is absolutely flat, if not just a bit hollow--like a Japanese chisel.

This is one blade that you'd really benefit from a professional sharpening. Call around to the local picture frame shops and find out where they have their "chopper" blades sharpened.

Brad Evans
02-16-2006, 10:35 AM
I've been using a Lion trimmer for awhile - it works great. Be careful around the blades - they are so sharp!

Above should be a photo of some frames I've made with it.

Brad Evans
Urban pix: http:www.citysnaps.net

Brad Evans
02-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Hmmm...

For future reference, can someone tell me how to include a photo as part of your message, rather than have it show at the bottom as an attachment?

Thanks.

Brad Evans
Urban pix: http:www.citysnaps.net

Jim Becker
02-16-2006, 11:01 AM
For future reference, can someone tell me how to include a photo as part of your message, rather than have it show at the bottom as an attachment?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25115

Alan Turner
02-16-2006, 9:53 PM
Ok, I'll be the lone dissent here. I had one, used it about 3 times, and sold it, for a bunch more than $50. It was spendy.

My view is that for smaller miters, a paring chisel is superior as I can get it, and keep it, a lot sharper. For larger miters, it is in over its head, and a donkey ear shooting board is wonderful. My 2 cents, and I'm sticking with it.

But, that said, I'll admit it is hard to convincingly disagree with a professional framer who likes it.

Peter Lyon
02-16-2006, 10:04 PM
... for better or worse, I made the deal. And I have to admit, this thing is like new. I don't think he was kidding when he said he only made three cuts with it. The blade is amazingly sharp.

If it turns out that I don't use it, perhaps I'll look into selling it. Does anyone know what it retails for new?

Ken Pywell
02-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Imported copies go for around $160. I want to say the Lion brand is at least double that. If nothing else, you have a nice paper weight/cigar slicer.
Ken

Dean Lapinel
02-17-2006, 12:27 AM
You can only get used Lions or new old stock. They quit making them recently.