PDA

View Full Version : Best remote for dust collector

Jason Morgan
02-15-2006, 9:52 PM
Anyone here have an aftermarket remote for their dust collector? Im looking for recommendations. I have my DC wired for 220V so it would have to be compatible with that.

thanks

John Hedges
02-15-2006, 10:20 PM
I got this one this (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5117) from woodcraft and really like it. Mine is for a 220 unit and works really well. What I like about it over the Long Ranger is that the remote control unit is a small unit, the same size as a car remote, so I can clip it onto my shop apron and it is always handy

Tom Pritchard
02-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Jason, here's one that I made. If you are at all handy, there are instructions on how to make one on Dennis Peacock's website. Here's mine:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30435

Jim Becker
02-15-2006, 10:31 PM
I used to use remotes and have gone back to a centrally located switch for my system. I don't find it inconvenient in any way and I can't lose it 'cause it's built into the shop...the switch controls a contactor in the DC closet which in turn applies or removes 240v power from the cyclone. (The same design as Tom posted above this entry in your thread minus the wireless remote)

Allen Bookout
02-15-2006, 10:33 PM
I have the Long Ranger III (220v up to 3HP) and it works fine. Purchased mine from Penn State Industries. The remote is 5 1/2 long and 1 3/8 wide and I clip it to my right front pants pocket and have never really noticed it being any problem. I suppose the size could bother some people depending on where they carry it.

Joe Chritz
02-15-2006, 11:28 PM
I use a 220v x-10 transceiver with a keychain remote.

It can control two 220v units (with seperate transceivers) and a multi speed 110 from the same remote.

I clip it to my belt loop with a plastic clip. (looks like then end of a dog leash only pink. :o )

The price isn't bad and it has worked very well. I just got in the habit of taking it off when I leave the shop and tossing it next to the phone.

Joe

Don Frambach
02-16-2006, 5:42 AM
Long Ranger works great for me. I mounted it to the overarm blade guard on my table saw. Very convenient!

CPeter James
02-16-2006, 8:50 AM
I have the same one as John Hedges. It works fine. I attached the remote to a magnet and just hang it where I am working in the shop.

CPeter

Byron Trantham
02-16-2006, 9:08 AM
Long Ranger for me. Attached a rare earth magnet to the remote and attach to the overhead air cleaner above the TS. I put the remote in my apron if I'm moving around to different stations.

Kyle Kraft
02-16-2006, 9:12 AM
I too have the Long Ranger from Penn State and it will easily control my d/c from about 350' away. My d/c isn't that far away from my point of use, I was just curious and thought it would be fun to know really how far it would still work! This unit is plug and play for about $50, last time I checked.

Lou Morrissette
02-16-2006, 9:26 AM
I use the Long Ranger.

Lou

Jim DeLaney
02-16-2006, 9:55 AM
Another vote for the Long Ranger. I've had one on my 2hp DC for about a year, now, and really like it. I put a bit of velcro on the back of the remote, and also on various spots on the bandsaw, router table, tablesaw, etc., and just put the remote on whatever tool I'm using, to make it quick and convenient to turn the DC on and off when cutting (or not).

Dave Tinley
02-16-2006, 9:56 AM
I bought the Long Ranger kit to wire up each blast gate and all went well for 8 months then the contacts in the control unit would stick and the dust collector would not shut off. Now I have to take a hammer and tap on the control box when it sticks on.
I purchased it form Penn State and I emailed them twice about the problem and never heard anything.
I tried calling once and was put on hold for over 15 minutes, got tired of waiting and hung up. Very poor customer service.:mad:
My dust collector is mounted outside of my shop so I am looking to replace the controller with a RF remote system or may try Dennis P. 's system. Also I believe there was an article in one of the more recent magazines on building a system.
I did have a Long Ranger I, a couple years back when I had my Grizzly collector inside the shop and it too only lasted about a year. That one was purchased at Woodcraft and they exchanged it for me but the new one only lasted 7 months. So needless to say I am done with Lone Ranger products and will never buy from Penn State.

I heard that Radio Shack had a decent system, you may want to check it out also.

Good luck,
Dave

Steve Cox
02-16-2006, 9:59 AM
I have the Long Ranger, have used it for about three years now with no problems. I keep the remote hanging on a loop on my shop apron. It has worked very well for me although I do turn it on accidentally occasionally:rolleyes: .

Bert Johansen
02-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Jason,
I purchased a "used" 220V contactor from Marlin P Jones (www.mpj.com) for around five bucks. It was brand new and works great. I wired the 110-volt control to a remote switch I got at my local hardware store (about $20). As others, I clipped it on my shop apron using a carabiner, and it is always handy. Works great.
Bert

Bob Rufener
02-16-2006, 10:34 AM
I also have the Lone Ranger II and like it a lot. The size of the remote is not too big for me (actually, it helps me to find it when my brain didn't kick into gear and I left it lay some place and I have to go on a search mission). The only problem I had with it is it occasionally started up all by itself. This hasn't happened in about 8 years. I think a neighbor with a remote garage door opener was on the same frequency.

Steve Clardy
02-16-2006, 10:58 AM
I basically used Dennis's system, built from scratch.

Anthony Anderson
02-16-2006, 11:13 AM
I have used the Long Ranger for about three years, and it has worked great. Keep the remote control in the pocket of my shop apron/belt. I use manual blast gates, and it is not really inconvenient. HTH, Bill

Matt Meiser
02-16-2006, 11:14 AM
I used to use X10 stuff, but added low voltage microswitches to my blast gates. I like that a lot better.

Tom Jones III
02-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Bert has got the right idea. Check out Dennis Peacock's site for 240v contactor wiring to make your 120v remote work. I went to radio shack and bought a cheap remote that is wonderful. It has a single big red button to both turn it on and off. The remote is slightly square, so I put it in my pocket and it doesn't turn around. I don't have to figure out which button is which, I just reach to the outside of my pocket and hit the button.

Jason Morgan
02-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm gonna go with the Long Ranger or the Woodcraft unit (Im always looking for a reason to go their anyway). I admire those that built it themselves, but the time/benefit analysis for my personal situation points to buy rather than build. I have already dug myself pretty deep with "well I can make that better than anything I can buy for the same price..."

Thanks again, Ill post again once its hooked up.

Steven Wilson
02-16-2006, 4:40 PM
The mag starter for my DC motor has provisions for wired remote start/stop stations. I wired two stations in my shop and it works great.

Dan Henry
02-16-2006, 5:46 PM
I have a home made system that I have used for over 10 years with very little problems. I made blast gates from solid popular that has a grove milled in on side to hold a aluminum gate the makes contact with 2 brass fingers. When the gate is opened it closes a relay to start the cyclone fan. The control is 24 volts that is provide by a door bell transformer. The fan is a 220 volt motor and I have changed the rely once. Never need to find a remote and all of the gates are wired in parallel so any gate that is open will run the fan, the fan will run until all gates are closed. I saw this idea a long time ago with a more complicated switch mechanism.

Works for me and the 24 volts does not cause an shocking.

Dan