PDA

View Full Version : How Many New GO490 Owners?

Jay Knoll
02-15-2006, 9:35 PM
Hey everyone

Just wondering, how many of us ordered this machine?

Since I started this thread, let's say I"m "1" Let's just keep adding numbers to the posts so we don't have to do lots of counting!

Yeah, Tyler, I know, it doesn't exist until the picture posts on SMC, you'll just have to wait, it hasn't arrived yet! :D

Jay

Russ Massery
02-15-2006, 9:47 PM
Well mines on the truck:rolleyes:. So call me # 2

Michael Disorbo
02-15-2006, 9:50 PM
I ordered one, but since it has not got to PA yet I guess I am not a owner yet. So time will tell!!

Michael

Jeff Watson
02-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Just got the e-mail today. Should arrive probably Friday or Monday from MO. Can't wait to get it up and running making saw dust.

John Hedges
02-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey no fair. I was the first to get one delivered doesnt that make me #1.

Drats, guess I'm number 4, guess it's better than being number 2 (sorry never could pass up a good bathroom humor)

Allen Bookout
02-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Well I think that we should count Michael, so by my count I am number 6. I would always include a guy with a name like Disorbo.

Rob Blaustein
02-16-2006, 1:06 AM
I guess I'm #7. I ordered a few weeks by phone and when I called today they didn't really have much info, I thought she said maybe a few weeks to go. So it doesn't sound like "my ship's come in" just yet. I'm in no rush since fitting it in my shop will require some re-organizing and I'm too busy right now to do that. Of course Michael I know you're chompin at the bit--if mine comes first you are always welcome to toss as much wood as you can fit in your vehicle and truck on over to Boston to help me set up mine and run some boards through it. Just a thought...

It's funny, but I haven't seen a jointer get this much attention here. The G0586 got a bunch of press when it came out, and there's often some sort of jointer discussion going on--DJ20, Yorkie, etc. but this one seems to have created a buzz. Or am I just imagining that?

Paul Ziegler
02-16-2006, 8:19 AM
I'm #8. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow.

Michael Disorbo
02-16-2006, 9:20 AM
Allen, whats wrong with the name Disorbo? If you are referring to my mafia ties, that was years ago. Now I am retired and just enjoying my woodworking :o)

Michael Disorbo
02-16-2006, 9:27 AM
Rob,

Thanks for the invite, but I know you are just wanting me to fill my truck with some of this lumber and bring it out to you :o) I have 2 other jointers, a 6" Walker Turner and a Delta DJ 15. I just refuse to use them until my new 8" arrives :o) And yes, I am the most impatient person around. If those folks in China want to take our jobs (Lou Dobbs) then they need to get that product here faster :o) I hope you all are happy with your new toy and please let us know your thoughts. Us folks on the east coast still have time to change our minds. I guess thats one good thing about being last, you folks who get them early can find the bugs if any and let us know what to look for.

Thanks
Michael

Allen Bookout
02-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Allen, whats wrong with the name Disorbo? If you are referring to my mafia ties, that was years ago. Now I am retired and just enjoying my woodworking :o)

I think that it is a great name. Sure beats Bookout. Allen

Michael Disorbo
02-16-2006, 12:03 PM
What's wrong with Bookout? I would bet there are many librarians that wish they had that name :p Just kidding!! So hows the weather down there? Since you are getting your jointer before me, I think I will send you some cold weather to go with it. Should be there by this weekend. We are expecting a good storm. 50's today, teens by Saturday and 60 mile an hour winds. A good time to be working in the shop!

Michael

Scott Coffelt
02-16-2006, 1:35 PM
Well mines on the truck:rolleyes:. So call me # 2
Good to hear yours is on the way. Must just have been a timing thing.

Yes, mine should arrive this week. Just need to get ahold of the delivery dispatcher with Overnight to arrange delivery. (He left a message). :D I guess I would be #9, if I counted correctly.

RichMagnone
02-16-2006, 3:36 PM
As soon as I sell my Delta 6", I'll be on the list.

CPeter James
02-16-2006, 3:36 PM
Are all you lucky G0490 guys going to form an owners group? Will you let us DJ20 owners be associate members? Now that there are many more parallelogram jointer owners out there, there will be a lot of information to share.

BTW, on the Delta website there are the instructions on how to level and align the tables on the DJ20. They are NOT in the owners manual. Are they in the Grizzly G0490 manual?

CPeter

Scott Coffelt
02-16-2006, 3:58 PM
Don't know but I know you can go on Grizzly's site and download a manual to look.

Michael Disorbo
02-16-2006, 4:56 PM
CPeter,

The manual for the 490 explains how to adjust each table with the 4 eccentric bushings for each table. This machine is basically a clone of the DJ 20.

Michael

Allen Bookout
02-16-2006, 6:34 PM
CPeter James,

I will not have my unit until Monday but I downloaded the manual from Grizzly and the leveling and alignment instructions are there and they are actually in English. Readable English believe it or not.

It would be real interesting to see a GO490 and DJ20 side by side. However I know that sometimes quality cannot be seen but only surface after extensive use so that might not tell anyone very much.

It is nice of a DJ20 guy to join in. Thanks for the infomation.

I do not know anything about owner groups but it sounds like that it might not be a bad way to share information. I would go along with that. I think that the DJ20 guys could be a part of the organization if they have the proper cap and know the handshake.

Allen

Ed Bamba
02-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Are all you lucky G0490 guys going to form an owners group? Will you let us DJ20 owners be associate members? Now that there are many more parallelogram jointer owners out there, there will be a lot of information to share.

BTW, on the Delta website there are the instructions on how to level and align the tables on the DJ20. They are NOT in the owners manual. Are they in the Grizzly G0490 manual?

CPeter

I guess I would be an associate member too. Anyways, I down loaded the alignment instructions from the Delta web site and tried to align the tables on my newly accquired DJ20. I tried like heck to turn the adjustment bushings, but to no avail. They just seemed way too tight even after removing the set screws. I contacted Delta and they sent me a spanner wrench free of charge (not worth the $17 they are asking IMOH), and I even inquired about the tightness of the eccentric bushing adjustment; the rep said that it isn't supposed to be hard to turn the adjustment at all. So I thought I should just wait till I got the free tool from them (arrived today). Tried it again and was still too hard to turn. I was going to call them back tomorrow and inquire, that is until I went to the Grizz site and reviewed their 490 manual. I read where there is supposed to be two set screws per bushing, so I went back out and (no crap) there is another screw just below the top one. Loosened it and to my great joy, the bushing turns; my world is round again:o . Now, I was getting ready to rant on here that Delta didn't mention the second screw (piggy backed set screw--per Grizz). That was until I reread the the instructions, and I quote "Fig.1, B=Set screw hole. Important-There are 2 set screws in this location. Remove the outer screw and loosen the inner screw 3/4 of a turn.":o

Man what Bozo I am, I could have had this done this past weekend. The bushings are so easy to turn that the elcheapo spanner wrench from Delta isn't even needed. Now, just got to get the blade setting procedure down--what a pain in the rear it is, and yes, I do have the procedures posted here and elsewhere, just need some more practice I guess.

Take care and thanks for putting up with my rant,
Ed