PDA

View Full Version : Help in anchoring Basement bar through Pergo

Jerry Olexa
02-15-2006, 8:27 PM
My son in law and I are building a wet bar for his finished basement. The problem is in anchoring the bar to the floor to prevent sideways movement. That section of the basement has a PERGO floor installed over foam and cement floor. The PERGO floors, I believe, are meant to "float" so its not a simple matter of a cement nailer into the cement. What would you guys recommend to prevent the bar from shifting sideways and still allow the Pergo to float?? I've considered a 1/4 inch cut with circular saw for the plate and then anchor to the cement floor in the sections removed. Am I off base??Thanks in advance. :confused: :)

Steve Ash
02-15-2006, 8:35 PM
Jerry ,
I sent you a PM, I've built quite a few basement bars as well as commercial bars...hope it helps.

Joe Chritz
02-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Steve...

Any chance I could get one too or you can pop the basics here.

I am going to be redoing my bar downstairs and one option is to cut out the laminate and put tile down. I am always open for options though.

Thanks

Joe

Alan Tolchinsky
02-15-2006, 11:48 PM
How about drilling throught the floor into the concrete and using Tapcons. That baby won't go anywhere. You could use construction adhesive but that could outlast the house and you might want to remove the bar at some point. :)

Bill Fields
02-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Ample Liquid Nails will hold it place. Problem: Can't move it w/o destruction.

Bill

Steve Ash
02-16-2006, 9:25 AM
Steve...

Any chance I could get one too or you can pop the basics here.

I am going to be redoing my bar downstairs and one option is to cut out the laminate and put tile down. I am always open for options though.

Thanks

Joe

Here is an example of the framework that Keith and I did for the American Legion bar which will illustrate how to fasten it to the floor.

The framework has a flat 2x4 to use to anchor to the floor. In this case we ramset it to a concrete floor, but with a floating floor you should mark where the framework is going to go, pre drill a hole just into your "pergo" floor in as many points you want to anchor it, then slide the framework out of the way. Next I would elongate the holes in your floor you just made with a chisel to allow for any movement, slide the framework back into place and then tapcon it down.....but not tight. It still needs to move.

Haven't tried the liquid nails approach...don't know why that wouldn't work either plus it is simpler.

Best of luck in whatever way you go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/025_25.jpg

tod evans
02-16-2006, 9:31 AM
jerry, a simple way to attach to concrete is drill an oversized hole in the pergo then set a redhead anchor in the concrete and use allthread to hold the cabinet down from up near the top.this makes for a strong, adjustable(within reason) connection....02 tod

Byron Trantham
02-16-2006, 9:45 AM
Looking at the size of Steve's base, I doubt that the pergo would "float" after all that weight is added.:o

Steve Ash
02-16-2006, 9:50 AM
Looking at the size of Steve's base, I doubt that the pergo would "float" after all that weight is added.:o

You are probably right Byron, the one in the pic was ramset into concrete...just using it to illustrate the way to fasten it to the floor.

This one is more likely to float....:D you can see the whole bar at my website.

Jim Becker
02-16-2006, 10:42 AM
jerry, a simple way to attach to concrete is drill an oversized hole in the pergo then set a redhead anchor in the concrete and use allthread to hold the cabinet down from up near the top.this makes for a strong, adjustable(within reason) connection....02 tod

This is what came to my mind, although Tod put it much more exactly than I would have. You do minimal damage to the floor this way in case the bar needs to go away in the future and it also gives you a lot of flexibility to level it during installation.

Jerry Olexa
02-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks, Todd, Jim, Steve, Byron, Allan and Bill...Great Advice. I think we have the solution now using the oversize hole to allow the floating and still provide sideways rigidity w the fastener. When I build furniture, thats how I handle expansion (elongated slots) but didn't think to apply it to the Pergo floor...Thanks. The lightbulb went on!!.

This is another example to me of the great group of people we have here @ SMC. Overnite, my problem is solved. The solution was in front of me but I didn't see it...In the group we have much knowledge and experience and the willingness to help and share. My SIL and I appreciate your effort in bailing us out.. Thanks..:)