PDA

View Full Version : New guy, Latest Project

Kevin Hewitt
07-28-2003, 9:57 PM
Hi all,

I have been a lurker here for a while. Great forum and I enjoy the posts and people.

This is the most recent livingroom set to come out of my shop. Though the style is a little plainer than what I normally make, I am happy with the results. These are a wedding present for my father and his new bride. They both like clean straight lines without the fancy edge treatments.

They are made with mortice and tenon joinery.

I dropped them off and set them up in Dad's livingroom tonight. They get back from their honeymoon tomorrow and don't know that I built these for them.

Thanks to my next door neighbour for takinga pic for me. And a special thanks to Gord Graff for his advice and solution to my finishing problem.

Thanks for looking,

Gump

John Miliunas
07-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Very nice, Kevin! Clean lines, beautiful grain and well executed. Yup, sometimes the "understated" lines can truly make the biggest statement! I'm sure your dad and his new bride will be thrilled. (Gee, I'd sure like to have matching "something" in my living room! :D ) Oh, and welcome aboard! Keep the pics coming and share some of your obvious skills with the rest of us! :cool:

Mike Mastin
07-28-2003, 10:36 PM
There can not be a better feeling than building your own furniture :-) Great job and welcome!

Todd Burch
07-28-2003, 10:40 PM
Looks good GUMP! Oak is a great wood. Try some of that quartersawn stuff from Mike Mastin!

Let's get that POST COUNT up!

Todd.

Kevin Hewitt
07-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I forgot to mention that they are made from white ash.

Gump

Bob Lasley
07-28-2003, 11:44 PM
Gump,

Nice looking group of tables. Welcome to the Creek. We hope you'll pull up a stump and stick around for awhile!

Bob

Terry Hatfield
07-29-2003, 12:15 AM
Gump,

Nice job!!! I'm sure Dad and the new Mrs. will be very pleased. I personally like the plain/clean look.

Read a bunch of your posts on the Canadian wwing forum. I have lurked there for a year or so. Sometimes I feel like I need a translator, but I manage. Great forum you guy's have up there. eh??? The crowd reminds me of the old days at Badger Pond forum. Anyway, welcome to the Creek. Hope you will hang out a bit with us down here also.

Terry

David Blangger
07-29-2003, 1:03 AM
Hi Gump,

Love those plain lines myself. Glad you stepped into the *Creek*

David

Jason Roehl
07-29-2003, 8:22 AM
That's a great present. Very thoughtful to go the extra mile to make it a total surprise with the delivery. But, if they don't like (I don't see why they wouldn't), I live in Indiana....

Ken Frantz
07-29-2003, 8:28 AM
Welcome Aboard!!!!!!!

KEN

Jim Becker
07-29-2003, 8:35 AM
What a wonderful gift! Nice furniture, too... :D

Von Bickley
07-29-2003, 1:23 PM
Kevin,
Welcome to "The Creek". Your tables look great and I really like the design, plain straight lines and nice size. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Kevin Hewitt
07-30-2003, 8:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words and the warm welcome guys.

Terry, join in sometime. I'll translate for you.

Gump

Terry Hatfield
07-30-2003, 8:43 PM
Thanks for the kind words and the warm welcome guys.

Terry, join in sometime. I'll translate for you.

Gump

Kevin,

I figured a red neck from Arkansas would get run out of the place. :D

terry

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-30-2003, 8:54 PM
Very nice Tables! It is always nice to have another Kevin here at the Creek! :D I'm not sure where Renfrew Ontario is located, but I have an Aunt and several Cousins in Grimsby, Ontario. Grimsby, if you are not familiar with it, is in the St. Catherine/Hamilton area. We visit there almost annually, and we just love Canada...............such a beautiful country, and we are always treated friendly when we visit. Glad to have you join us here................I look foward to more of your fine work. Thanks for sharing the Tables with us! :D

Jim Baker
07-30-2003, 9:45 PM
That's a very nice wedding gift. Sure beats a toaster.

Excellent work and thanks for sharing.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2003, 8:17 PM
Is that the ash you were mentioning on the other forum? If so, did you end up sticking with 150 grit, or did you go up to 180 or 220?

Also, what's the finish?

btw, any upcoming meetings with the woodworking club?

Kevin Hewitt
08-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Hi Scott,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on your questions.

Yes, these tables were from the same batch of ash. It's quickly dwindling though. I was working on a different project when I posted the sanding question. I now start with 100 on a stroke sander for panels, 80 with a ROS for everything else, 120 ROS next, then stop with 120 by hand with a bright light to check for scratches. No more sanding to 220, it was a waste of time.

The finish is one coat of sanding sealer. Gord Graff advised me to use this after I was having trouble with the stain oversaturating in the pores and ruining some of the pieces depending on the grain. Next was Minwax Early American, then 3 coats of Minwax Satin poly, then 2 coats of paste wax.

The club is down for the summer. We will probably start back up in September. I will post on the CWW forum when there is something written in stone. You missed an interesting trip to Danny Proulx's shop. Nice guy, nice shop, and nice toys.

Gump

Byron Trantham
08-03-2003, 8:36 AM
I like the results very much. I think your present will be apprecaited for a long time to come and you delivered it too - VERY cool. Welcome to SMC.

Scott Campbell
08-03-2003, 7:08 PM
Hi Scott,

The club is down for the summer. We will probably start back up in September. I will post on the CWW forum when there is something written in stone. You missed an interesting trip to Danny Proulx's shop. Nice guy, nice shop, and nice toys.

Gump

Doh!!!! There's a shop tour I wish I hadn't missed.