PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #22 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
02-15-2006, 6:40 PM
February 15th, 2006

WE ARE SEALED UP FROM THE ELEMENTS!

When I arrived at 8:30 Benny and the boys were transporting my sliding door and getting ready to install it. The roofers were already there putting the paper on the roof. Then it was a wait for the windows to show up. Finally at about 10 AM the truck pulled in.

Got the windows unloaded and the guys started putting them in. Had a couple of extra bodies to help so it went pretty good, but still didn't get the bay window in and set until around 4 PM. Had a mix up with the windows as they sent both kitchen windows to open the same way. Not much of a big deal, but it does make the one difficult to get to the crank. It's got to go back and they'll send a new one, so we have plywood covering that window opening.

As can be seen in the pics, the roofers prepped the roof for the weather expected in the next couple of days. Guess we won't get shingles now for a week or so, depending on the weather. Now their talking like we're going to get around 10". The guys may not even come up in the morning depending on how bad it is.

It is so great to see the windows in and now a roof so the weather can't get to the interior.

Thanks for looking.

Karl

Don Baer
02-15-2006, 6:46 PM
Karl,
Now that progress. They sure are moving along.

Jim O'Dell
02-15-2006, 6:51 PM
Karl, looks great! What room is the bay window in? I've got my box bay window in my shop, none on the house.:rolleyes: Jim.

Jim Becker
02-15-2006, 8:14 PM
My word...nearly less than a month and you're all buttoned up...in the "middle of winter", no less! Awesome progress, Karl!!

Jerry Clark
02-15-2006, 8:35 PM
Hey Karl, It looks like a house! WOW-- Now they can work inside-- even when it is cold and snowing outside! :D

Steve Ash
02-15-2006, 8:37 PM
How are you going to keep all the sawdust off so many windows in your new shop????

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2006, 8:43 PM
GO Karl! I know this new weather front is going to slow you down some but it could have been a lot worse if you'd had a normal Wisconsin winter! Looking good!

Cecil Arnold
02-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Karl, the way those guys are going, especially in the "mild" weather you're having, I hope you occasionally bring them some adult beverages at the end of the day. It sure looks like they deserve it.

John Miliunas
02-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Wow! A bay window in your WW shop!!! Now that, my friend, is classy!!! :D

Yeah, we're heading into some weather for, at least, the next few days. Snow and bitter cold right after it. But, truth be told, if those guys don't show for a day or two, I think they've got it coming!:) :cool:

Tom Drake
02-16-2006, 5:52 AM
Wow! It's really coming together now Karl. Looking very good too.

Karl Laustrup
02-16-2006, 6:27 AM
My word...nearly less than a month and you're all buttoned up...in the "middle of winter", no less! Awesome progress, Karl!!

Thanks to the crew from Schluters, Benny, Tim and Dan. They know what their doing and they don't let a donder head home owner like me slow them down. :D

You piqued my interest in how many days it's been since demolition, Jim. I went back to my update #3 to find that demo took place on 1/12/06. Counting just Monday through Friday that's 24 days!

I'd have to go back through all my updates, but I believe there were several days when all that happened was concrete was drying. I'm even more impressed than I was before.

Hey Spring, I thought the bay window would be a good place for the lathe. Figure I can watch the birds while I spin big pieces into little pieces. I'll set the saw up in the back picture window. I can watch the pool area in the summer while I do my flat work.

Using these placements of machinery might I expect to be known as "Ol Two Fingers" by the end of the year? :eek: :D :D

Karl

Frank Pellow
02-16-2006, 7:41 AM
Well done!

Are your builders in some sort of new Winter Olympic event? If so, I expect them to win gold.

Joe Pelonio
02-16-2006, 7:50 AM
It sure is nice to see a project going along so smoothly and such rapid progress in the middle of winter. You obviously hired a good crew!

Bill Simmeth
02-16-2006, 8:39 AM
Congrats Karl! It's looking really good. Can't believe that crew you've got going there -- very impressive timeline.

Jerry Olexa
02-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Karl: good feeling when your house (shop I mean) is initially sealed up before the approaching storm. Looks like they applied tarps over the felt giving double protection. You have a good crew who goes the extra mile...Many builders would just put on felt and walk away...

Norman Hitt
02-16-2006, 9:46 PM
FANTASTIC, Karl. The only thing I can say, is that I sure wish I'd have had your CREW when I had my shop building, etc built. My crew was as far on the Negative side, as yours is up on the Positive side.:mad: It's a real pleasure to see a group of folks that know what they're doing, and Really want to Build something nice, instead of just spending all their time trying to figure out how to cheat the buyer/owner out of his money without finishing ANYTHING.

If they keep up like they've been going, they're gonna be ready for YOU to start all that landscaping BEFORE the THAW even starts, so you'd better take advantage of these bad Weather Days and REST UP, 'Cause we've all become accustomed to the fast pace and you're gonna have to keep it up or we'll all be real disappointed if the Progress Picture rate slows down.:D

Boyd Gathwright
02-16-2006, 11:28 PM
.... Just moving on down the road there, Karl ;).