PDA

View Full Version : Laminite Trimmer Suggestions

Jeff Murphy
02-15-2006, 5:57 PM
Currently, I use a PC 7310 and want to upgrade. Been looking at the new Makita(I like the led light idea) and the Bosch Colt. I use the little routers mostly for hinges and small roundovers. I do not care for my current one due to the height adjustment and bit changing. So, visibility, micro adjust and bit swapping are what i am looking for in a new trim router. Any suggestions?

Don Baer
02-15-2006, 6:05 PM
I know that both Bruce Page and Mark Singer have the Bosch Col and have given them favorable reviews. Do a search on "Bosch Colt" and you can get a lot of info.

tod evans
02-15-2006, 6:15 PM
jeff, the pc 310 is the industry standard but bit changing sucks...02 tod

Keith Outten
02-15-2006, 7:19 PM
Currently, I use a PC 7310 and want to upgrade. Been looking at the new Makita(I like the led light idea) and the Bosch Colt. I use the little routers mostly for hinges and small roundovers. I do not care for my current one due to the height adjustment and bit changing. So, visibility, micro adjust and bit swapping are what i am looking for in a new trim router. Any suggestions?

Jeff,

I expect that bit swapping and visibility will be a concern with almost any of the trim routers, at best they will be tolerable based on their size. I just purchased the Bosch Colt and although I have not used it but a few times I am really impressed with how smooth and powerfull it is for its size. I did find the height adjustment a bit strange at first because it has both fine and course adjustments, the latter is used by shifting the motor in the base. Once this was mastered the Colt became more comfortable to use. My old trim router is a Black and Decker model that is old enough to be a quality machine, sadly it is showing its age and needs to be replaced hence my purchase of a new trim router. I never was happy with the thumb wheel style height adjusters that B&D used and that were popular years ago.

The only thing that would make the Colt better would be one of Bruce Page's custom Colt router bases :)

Jim Becker
02-15-2006, 7:56 PM
Although I don't own one, the Colt has caught my eye as a candidate should I find a need for a trim router...very nice product.

Mark Duksta
02-16-2006, 8:55 AM
Jeff,

I have the Colt. I really like fine adjustment feature. The Colt does not accept PC bushings although Pat Warner makes a couple of bases to fit the Colt that will accept PC bushings.

Mark

Byron Trantham
02-16-2006, 9:11 AM
If I was in the market, I would be looking at the Colt as well.

Lou Morrissette
02-16-2006, 9:32 AM
I've been using the Bosch Colt set up with two of Pat Warner's bases and is a great little machine. With the PC bushings, it's also a neat little pattern router.

Lou

Mark Singer
02-16-2006, 9:43 AM
Bosch Colt....its the new industry standard at my shop anyway;)

Brian Buckley
02-16-2006, 9:43 AM
I agree with Lou. The Pat Warner offset base makes the Bosch Colt one sweet little router. If you want to really Make it an accurate tool, attach it to a plunge base.

Brian

tod evans
02-16-2006, 9:45 AM
Bosch Colt....its the new industry standard at my shop anyway;)

if mine ever die i`ll try one:) .02 tod

Matt Meiser
02-16-2006, 9:45 AM
I have the Ridgid which is nice. But if I had a bought a month later I'd have bought the Bosch.

Mark Singer
02-16-2006, 9:48 AM
if mine ever die i`ll try one:) .02 tod

Tod,
Just plug in the PC belt sander thats in the same drawer...set the switch lock and close the drawer...that should do it...:rolleyes: