PDA

View Full Version : trammel points?

Jeff Horton
02-15-2006, 5:54 PM
I saw a picture of a trammel set I want to build. Bodys will be turned on the lathe. It's very straight forward but I need a set of points. I keep trying to think of something to use to make them front but have yet to come up with a good idea. Small town living has it's disadvantages too.

I considered nails and grinding down screws but there must be something better. Oh, just had a thought. Mayb I could find some 1/8" dowel pins and grind a tip to a point? Anyone have any other ideas?

Richard Wolf
02-15-2006, 5:56 PM
How about awls or ice picks. Cut them down to size with a dremel cut off wheel.

Richard

Dennis McDonaugh
02-15-2006, 5:58 PM
You can buy two cheap compasses and steal their points, they are ususlly pretty hard and tapered. Cheap too. And you could use the pencil clasp to attach a pencil to your trammel.

tod evans
02-15-2006, 6:10 PM
jeff, the "59f" set by starrett has all the points pictured + centering balls and finders. i think it`s a lay-out bargin.....02 tod

M Toupin
02-15-2006, 7:14 PM
Jeff, pick up a couple of 1/8" drill bits. To "cut" them just score the shank with a file and snap it off. A belt sander will put a nice tapered point on it.

Mike

Lou Morrissette
02-15-2006, 7:18 PM
Jeff,

Nail sets are pretty hard and would be a snap to sharpen.

Lou

Jeff Horton
02-16-2006, 10:44 AM
I knew there were some great ideas out there that I just had not thought of! Especially like the 1/8 drill bit and the cheap compass ideas. I probably have a couple of old worn out drill bits laying around all ready that would work. Might have to take a couple of hours and work on this project this weekend.

Thanks!

Steven Wilson
02-16-2006, 4:43 PM
I bought these trammel points as rough castings. All I had to do was clean them up and make an oak bar for it

Jeff Horton
02-16-2006, 5:32 PM
Steve, I have bid on some similar to that a couple of times and always went higher than I would pay. I think they are wonderful looking points! I saw some in a photo that Bob Smalser has made recently and fell in love with them. I realized now that I had the lathe going I had everything I needed except a set of points to make a set.

Tod, I agree that is a nice set. I have bid on a couple of those too, but someone always wanted them worse than I did.

tod evans
02-16-2006, 6:19 PM
jeff, the starretts are a bit pricey but with the good stuff you only cry once......02 tod

Alan Turner
02-16-2006, 9:04 PM
Use 3/16" 01 drill rod, and sharpen and thread them. Use the leftovers to make a few awls.