PDA

View Full Version : Wynn Envirionmental Dust Canister Retrofit?

Michael Ballent
02-15-2006, 4:01 PM
So I just got my latest copy of FWW and they had a little blurb about Wynn Environmental having canister filter retrofits for single stage DCs. I head over to the WWW and it looks like for $100 or $130 you can get the canister filter and you need to make a donut to adapt it to (in my case Jet DC 1100) I know that I can get a retro fit kit from Jet for my DC but its' a whole lot more. Have any of you done this? and was it tricky to retro fit it to the DC? My current DC has the standard 30 micron bags and everytime I start the DC I see a puff of dust come off the bag. I know that the Cyclones are probably better, but that is not in the budget for now.

Greg Scott
02-15-2006, 4:43 PM
Michael,
I've attached a Wynn filter to my DC-1200. First of all you don't need to make a doughnut if you get the larger diameter filter. Just put some weather striping under it before it gets clamped in place. You probably wont be able to use the turnbuckles that they send with the filter as they are too long and will not work very well with the Jet dc's. To fix this problem I just drilled a hole through the rim of the filter and use a knob underneath to hold the filter on.

If you have a drum sander be prepared to unplug the filter after about 20 minutes of use as it will fill up quickly. With that said it will work fine for your planer, ts, jointer and most everything else.
Good luck,
Greg

Paul Canaris
02-15-2006, 4:57 PM
This was my experience

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28543

Ralph Barhorst
02-15-2006, 4:57 PM
I use a Wynn filter on my HF DC and it works great. It came with everything that I needed to make it fit on the DC. The people at Wynn are great to work with. Give them a call and they will tell you the filter to use and how to adapt it to your DC.

Rob Blaustein
02-15-2006, 5:13 PM
Michael,
I also use the Wynn DC1200 combo. I didn't use weather stripping, though it sounds like a nice idea. I used the turnbuckles--they are too long as Gregg points out--but just used some 1" long pieces of wood with bevel cuts as shims and made a little hole to help catch the turnbucle hook. I also used a rubber stopper to plug the hole on top. I agree, the Wynn guys are very nice to deal with. One tip--I wouldn't buy the plastic bags from Wynn, I couldn't get them to fit without tearing them (then again, maybe the DC1100 has a smaller rim). I've only just started generating dust, so haven't had a chance to stock up yet. There was a thread about where to get the plastic bags (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20413&page=2&highlight=wynn)previously. One more thing--if you want to replace the lower cloth bag to use the plastic ones, you will need something called a snap ring to keep the bags on--I had to order it directly from Jet--I think it was somewhere around $10-15. I think I found it by pulling up the parts list for a DC1200 that comes with a cartdridge.
--Rob

Mike Goetzke
02-15-2006, 5:50 PM
I also put one on my HF DC about 3 months ago. It does improve the performance of the DC quite a bit. I've gone through 2 bags of dust so far.

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

I do want to make a paddle device to make it easier to clean the pleats - like they have on the more expensive canisters.

Brad Olson
02-15-2006, 6:08 PM
Yes,

I did it to my HFDC. Well worth the $75

Jamie Buxton
02-15-2006, 9:40 PM
I did it. The good news is that the filtering is better. The bad news is that the filter clogs up quickly, and is very time-consuming to clean. I eventually went back to the fabric filter, and then went to a cyclone.

Wynn is just retailing a standard filter made by a filter company. If I were to try this conversion again, I'd buy a canister from Jet or Delta -- one that includes a paddle inside the canister which lets you clean the filter more easily than the Wynn device. Both Delta and Jet sell them separately as upgrades for their bag-type DCs.

lou sansone
02-15-2006, 9:48 PM
I saw the wynn filter and thought that it would clog up pretty quick. if you look at oneida filter you will see very wide spaced pleats that dont clog up as easy, but even they clog up after a while and it takes a lot to really clean them out
lou

Jeffrey Makiel
02-15-2006, 10:04 PM
When I use to design systems for a living, these types of filters always had some type of pre-separation, like a cyclone, for air laden with large particles. Also, the air entered the outside of the filter cartridge and exhausted thru the center which is opposite of a dust collector. Lastly, these types of filters usually had some form of pulse air jet cleaning that was either continuous or on a timer to keep the filter from clogging.

Having seen these provisions, I am reluctant to change out my bags.

cheers, Jeff

Mike Goetzke
02-15-2006, 10:32 PM
I saw the wynn filter and thought that it would clog up pretty quick. if you look at oneida filter you will see very wide spaced pleats that dont clog up as easy, but even they clog up after a while and it takes a lot to really clean them out
lou

Lou - if you look at my post above see the link to Wynn. Their latest filters are much larger in dia. and have less dense pleats than their previous models did ===> less clogging.

Mike

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2006, 11:25 PM
I just got the Wynn filter on my HF DC. It works just great and hasn't clogged yet.

Tom Drake
02-16-2006, 6:00 AM
I also have the Wynn cannister conversion on my HF DC and it works very well for me. To dislodge the dust from the pleats I just wack it a few times with a piece of 1X2 when I walk past it about once a day.

Marcus Ward
02-16-2006, 8:34 AM
I put the wynn filter on my HF dc yesterday. I noticed increased airflow. It's also louder. When I hooked it up to my table saw I stuck a stick down in the insert hole and shoved all the stuff that had accumulated in there into the dc and pluged the filter up. Taking the hose off and covering and uncovering it repeatedly restored airflow but obviously you're going to have to be vigilant and take steps to ensure the filter stays dust free. I'm going to try blowing compressed air on it.

Michael Ballent
02-16-2006, 1:57 PM
When you guys are talking about the filter getting clogged up... Are you saying that the filter gets full of dust or is it getting filled up with chunks of wood/chips? My DC has a small cone with a hole in the middle that is about half the diameter of main "barrel" (The part that teh bags would connect to). The dust blows in from below the cone, so I do not think that I would get wood chips into the filter, but you never know.

Also do you guys hit the filter with compressed air to clean out the filter? and which is better the poly spun filter or the paper one? Looks like the paper one has more surface area which I believe is better. (I think). Keep the information coming.

I do not have a drum sander at this time, but I will be getting one some time down the road, so the thought that I would have to stop every 20 minutes does not sound like a pleasant thought. Is this happening with the Jet (dust dog) canister?

Scott Pearson
02-16-2006, 5:31 PM
Has anyone here built a paddle system for the Wynn filters? I bought one two months for my HFDC, works good but clogs up. I have thought about building a flapper paddle system but have not tried it yet.

So, if anyone has any ideas feel free to share.

Scott Pearson

Mike Goetzke
02-16-2006, 7:32 PM
I built one a while back for a tight pleated filter I experimented with (an air filter for a large diesel engine). I put a bar across the bottom, hole in the top, used a threaded rod w/nylon stop nuts and bent the end to use as a crank, milled a few flat spots on the middle of the rod, drilled holes in these flats, attached piece of sheet metal to the rod that cleared the pleats by about 1", screwed a strip of rubber gasket material to the sheet metal to just touch the pleats enough to make them snap to releast the dust. I had the sheet metal in 3 stagerred positions - worked great. Bad news is I threw the thing out with the filter that didn't work well. Sounds complicated but only takes about 1 to 2 hours to make. I need to make one for my new Wynn canister.

Mike

Tony Baker
02-16-2006, 9:13 PM
I worked with Rick Wynn on the HFDC conversion that is pictured on their website. This was one of the first generation units. I didn't do any other mods like Brad and a few others have done.

I will say that the converted unit works well, sucks well, and most importantly, filters well. That said, it does need to be whacked occasionally, and I find blowing it down with compressed air helps alot. I don't think I would use it with a drum sander without a cyclone.

Since the time I did the conversion and testing with Rick, I've moved to a new, larger shop (I promise to post pics one of these days) and plan to get a 2+ hp cyclone when I get time. Until then, the converted HFDC and flex hose does a pretty decent job.

Good luck!

-Tony

Greg Scott
02-17-2006, 8:24 AM
Michael,
When I say my filter get's clogged up I mean from very fine dust from my drum sander. It doesn't seem to be a huge problem when using planer or jointer due to the size of the material coming from them.

I'm guessing that anyone who is using a canister with a drum sander is having the same trouble that I am. But with a few wacks with a dead blow and blowing it down with compressed air it seems to clean out just fine.

I did install a nuetral vain to help with the larger chips and it seems to work well for that.
Greg

When you guys are talking about the filter getting clogged up... Are you saying that the filter gets full of dust or is it getting filled up with chunks of wood/chips? My DC has a small cone with a hole in the middle that is about half the diameter of main "barrel" (The part that teh bags would connect to). The dust blows in from below the cone, so I do not think that I would get wood chips into the filter, but you never know.

Also do you guys hit the filter with compressed air to clean out the filter? and which is better the poly spun filter or the paper one? Looks like the paper one has more surface area which I believe is better. (I think). Keep the information coming.

I do not have a drum sander at this time, but I will be getting one some time down the road, so the thought that I would have to stop every 20 minutes does not sound like a pleasant thought. Is this happening with the Jet (dust dog) canister?

Tyler Howell
02-17-2006, 8:51 AM
A hole lot of lawlessness and crime going on here:mad: :mad: .
Lets See some pictures of all these conversions, fixins and doins!!:mad:
It's the law.

PS I'm worried about compressed air and sending all that fine dust into the air. Any other comments about that:(:confused:

Lee DeRaud
02-17-2006, 10:46 AM
PS I'm worried about compressed air and sending all that fine dust into the air. Any other comments about that:(:confused: The impression I got of that exercise was that the compressed air was blown into the filter from the outside while the filter was installed on the DC. So "dust in the air" only involves the air inside the DC and the dust (eventually) settles into the lower bag, same as if the paddle system was used.

Of course, it would be tempting to do it out on the driveway just to annoy my neighbor.:eek:
Just kidding.:D
Honest.:cool:

Greg Scott
02-21-2006, 3:11 PM
Since Tyler insisted on some pics here are some of my conversion.
Greg

The first pic is the overall dc. I've mounted the blower to the wall so the incoming pipe could be stationary but yet the rest of the unit can swivel for ease of cleaning and changing bags.

The second pic shows the rim of the dc with a garage door weather strip attached. I use a band clamp to hold the bag on instead of Jets internal strap. I hated the internal strap when I had the old felt bag on the bottom. You will also notice the pipe coming in, this is my attempt at a nuetral vane.

The Third pick shows how the filter is attached. I didn't like the turnbuckles that come from Wynn as they were too long. There are three holes drilled into the steel rim of the bottom of the filter with 1/4" bolts running through them.

The fourth pick is the inside of the filter after being wacked with a dead blow and blown out with the air gun. It looks dirty but it really works well when looking like this.

A hole lot of lawlessness and crime going on here:mad: :mad: .
Lets See some pictures of all these conversions, fixins and doins!!:mad:
It's the law.

PS I'm worried about compressed air and sending all that fine dust into the air. Any other comments about that:(:confused:

Barry Beech
02-21-2006, 4:20 PM
I have the poly filter on my HFDC and I works pretty good for me. I just give it a good wack every now and then when I'm working in the shop.

Marc Kohlbauer
02-21-2006, 6:20 PM
I use a Wynn filter on a Delta unit. I had problems with the filter clogging after the first few bags were full. I made a flapper out of a piece of laminate sandwiched between two 3/4" pieces of oak. I used a piece of aluminum at the bottom of the filter for a cross brace and 1/4" bolts to mount it (one at bottom, one at top). I use a ratchet to give it a couple of turns every few days. It really helps. Before I installed the flapper, I had a lot of dust fall when I would whack the outside of the filter, but there was still a whole lot stuck in the pleats. I kicked most of the dust out to install the flapper. It dropped about a gallon of dust on the first turn.

I find the filter works much better than the old bags did. I hated shaking dust out of the fabric bag. Now when it fills, I just change the plastic bag out for a new bag, turn the flapper a couple of times and get back to woodworking :)

Boyd Gathwright
02-21-2006, 7:25 PM
Since Tyler insisted on some pics here are some of my conversion.
Greg

The first pic is the overall dc. I've mounted the blower to the wall so the incoming pipe could be stationary but yet the rest of the unit can swivel for ease of cleaning and changing bags.

The second pic shows the rim of the dc with a garage door weather strip attached. I use a band clamp to hold the bag on instead of Jets internal strap. I hated the internal strap when I had the old felt bag on the bottom. You will also notice the pipe coming in, this is my attempt at a nuetral vane.

The Third pick shows how the filter is attached. I didn't like the turnbuckles that come from Wynn as they were too long. There are three holes drilled into the steel rim of the bottom of the filter with 1/4" bolts running through them.

The fourth pick is the inside of the filter after being wacked with a dead blow and blown out with the air gun. It looks dirty but it really works well when looking like this.
.... Thanks Greg for the pics :).

Brad Olson
02-22-2006, 1:03 AM
FYI, if you switch to a cartridge filter it will clog badly if you do not install a neutral vane.

Basically the neutral vane is hand tuned such that it induces "cyclonic" action in the lower bad dropping more of the dust out before it hits the filter.

Lee DeRaud
02-27-2006, 3:41 PM
FYI, if you switch to a cartridge filter it will clog badly if you do not install a neutral vane.

Basically the neutral vane is hand tuned such that it induces "cyclonic" action in the lower bad dropping more of the dust out before it hits the filter.Does anybody know offhand if the Jet 1100CK already has such a vane? And if not, could you point me toward a drawing/photo/whatever for a DIY solution?

Michael Ballent
02-27-2006, 3:48 PM
I do not believe it has it in there... At least my 1100 does not, it's a spiral sheet metal ramp inside... Now that the Amazon deal went bust :( I guess I will be going to the Wynn filter solution.

Does anybody know offhand if the Jet 1100CK already has such a vane? And if not, could you point me toward a drawing/photo/whatever for a DIY solution?

Jerry Olexa
02-27-2006, 4:05 PM
I did it but also added a nuetral vane. No clogging issues. Brad Olson has a blog on this showing the details. Works well. The donut is no big deal from a scrap of 3/4 ply. Bought better bags also for bottom

Lee DeRaud
02-27-2006, 4:26 PM
I did it but also added a nuetral vane. No clogging issues. Brad Olson has a blog on this showing the details.
I do not believe it has it in there... At least my 1100 does not, it's a spiral sheet metal ramp inside... Now that the Amazon deal went bust :( I guess I will be going to the Wynn filter solution.Ok, now at least I know what to look for when it shows up: I just ordered an 1100CK on Amazon for $439, free shipping...and I think there's a $50 mail-in rebate on top of that. But either their $80 discount (for total over $420) doesn't apply to that item or that's how they got the price down from $500+...wouldn't take the promo code.

Ron Fritz
02-27-2006, 8:03 PM
I added a Wynn filter to my HF-DC as well as built and installed a neutral vane. The Wynn filter attached to the DC in a matter of minutes. My best addition other than the Wynn filter was when I added a separator. The separator keeps 90% of the chips out of the DC bag leaving mostly finer dust particles in the DC bag. To keep the filter clean, I pat the outside of the filter with my hand every now and then to nock the dust back down into the DC bag and use an air hose on the outside of the filter once in a while. When I have to replace the plastic DC bag, I use the vacuum cleaner to vacuum out the inside of the filter.

Les Spencer
02-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Can someone explain or post pic's of what a neutral vane is?:confused:

Michael Ballent
02-28-2006, 12:00 AM
A neutral vane is a pipe extending into the interior of the body of the cyclone/DC. This helps with the amount of turbulance inside of the DC.

Can someone explain or post pic's of what a neutral vane is?:confused:

Mike Goetzke
02-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Has anyone here built a paddle system for the Wynn filters? I bought one two months for my HFDC, works good but clogs up. I have thought about building a flapper paddle system but have not tried it yet.

So, if anyone has any ideas feel free to share.

Scott Pearson

This is still a work in progress so be kind....

I added an internal flapper to clean the pleats of the filter by turning a crank on top of the filter - similar to the Jet/PSI/Grizzly cartridges.

This took a little trial and error for materials but I used some thin gauge sheet metal, rubber gasket material, 3/8" threaded rod, and misc. hardware:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Dust%20Collector/IMG_1765_3_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Dust%20Collector/IMG_1764_2_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Dust%20Collector/IMG_1767_5_1.jpg

I still need to add one more flapper (I ran out of sheet metal)and for now I used Gorilla tape to hold the rubber on. I may need to use sheet metal screws if it gets loose. Seems to work .... so far. Even though I use low pressure air to blow the filter out and bang on it regularly you would not believe the fine dust trapped in the pleats that the flappers removed (for reference: I have only had this filter since the first of the year and have filled 3 bags).

Mike