PDA

View Full Version : Festool or not to Festool?

John Keane
02-15-2006, 3:08 PM
I have two PC 333 orbital sanders. Creekers rave about the Festool 150.
I am a hobbyist woodworker out of my garage. Primary projects are out of Woodsmith magazine. I like to do and buy things "top of the line." In one short sentence please tell me why I need to buy this Festool 150 sander.
TIA JFK

Chris Dodge
02-15-2006, 3:14 PM
You don't. I have the PC 333 and it works great. Anything the Festool adds would not be worth the extra money.

JayStPeter
02-15-2006, 3:15 PM
I have a Festool ETS150/5 sander that replaced a PC333VS. Sanding goes quicker and slightly cleaner (though the 333 is pretty clean when attached to a vac). But, the biggest plus is that I can still feel my hands after a full day of sanding. The Festool sandpaper also lasts longer and gums up less.

The downsides are 8x the price and not being able to pick up sandpaper at the borg. If you hate sanding as much as me, go for it.

Jay

Christian Aufreiter
02-15-2006, 3:19 PM
I am a hobbyist woodworker out of my garage. Primary projects are out of Woodsmith magazine. I like to do and buy things "top of the line." In one short sentence please tell me why I need to buy this Festool 150 sander.
TIA JFK

If I understood your post correctly you already want to buy the Festool sander. That's a perfectly valid reason in my opinion.:D

Christian

John Keane
02-15-2006, 3:31 PM
Christian, nice to read from you. Your perception is correct. Austria is a lovely country. My visits to Austria have been short, but rewarding. The people and scenery are worth every minute spent there on my way to Oberammergau.

Dave Avery
02-15-2006, 4:05 PM
I have the old Rotex 150, but I'll chime in anyway..... in one sentence...... sanding has gone from something I despise to something that I actually don't mind doing.

Jay Knoll
02-15-2006, 4:17 PM
I'm with Dave, it is a wonderful tool, especially with the dust extractor. But if you've got a good vac then you can use the money to buy a saw and rails!

Jay

Ian Barley
02-15-2006, 4:57 PM
TIA JFK
You don't "need" to. It is a tool that is probably the best in its class and if your are using it to make your living it is worth every penny.

Steven Wilson
02-15-2006, 5:11 PM
I retired my 333vs, 330, and dewalt sanders when I picked up a Rotax 150, ES 150/3, and RS400 sanders and a CT22 vac. Not only is there less vibration and longer paper life but I'm collecting all of my sanding dust at the source and my sinuses are clear

Dave Falkenstein
02-15-2006, 5:14 PM
I, too, am a hobbyist woodworker, making some pocket money doing projects for folks that ask. I use several Festool products simply because I enjoy using their really fine tools. Is that reason enough to buy? I think it is. You said you like top-of-the-line - Festool is that. The sanders make an otherwise tedious job almost enjoyable. The ETS 150/3 is a great upgrade from the PC333, which I used for years, but have not used since buying the ETS 150/3. The dust collection with the Festool vac is exceptional. Buy the package deal that includes the sander and the vac, or get the RO 150/3 dual mode sander on closeout special.

Per Swenson
02-15-2006, 5:20 PM
Hello John,

As Ian said, you don't need to buy anything.

For years I scoffed at the Festool line. Considered them

European yuppie goods.

Not fit for a all American Redneck such as myself.

My name is Per Swenson and I am a tool bigot.

that attitude changed when I reluctantly purchased my first

sander. Changed every thing. We now have over 13 festool products

and 35 feet of guide rail. Each and every one has paid for itself.

So sit on the fence all you want, but there is a reason why

Festoll fans are rabid. Here is a small review. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17615&highlight=shameless+festool

Per

Jim Becker
02-15-2006, 5:30 PM
..... in one sentence...... sanding has gone from something I despise to something that I actually don't mind doing.

Ditto. Excellent results, outstanding control, near zero vibration (the kicker for me) and near zero dust. I suspect that my Festool sanders will also last a long time...very, very well built.

tod evans
02-15-2006, 5:35 PM
TIA JFK

because you want it......02 tod (one sentence as requested:) )

Matt Meiser
02-15-2006, 5:44 PM
I just went from the PC 333VS to the 150/3 and love it. Bigger so it sands more area faster, just as easy to control, quieter, and their vac is so much quieter than my old Ridgid.

Scott Coffelt
02-15-2006, 6:24 PM
I had a PC and there is no comparison, none what so ever between that and a festool. Now the real question is which one.

The Rotex (on clearence) is a multi purpose unit, works very well for aggressive removal, also can work a a buffer.

ETS 150/3 or 150/5 are more finish based sanders with the 150/3 being more of a finish. I have that one and I use the courser grits if i have to remove faster.

Now the real answer:

A better built unit, with smoother feel and better dust collection and longer sand paper life and can use for longer time without excessive vibration. In fact the Festool sanders IMHO are the best in the market.

Jim Hager
02-15-2006, 7:06 PM
because you want it......02 tod (one sentence as requested:) )

Uh, Tod, That is really just a prepositional phrase and is missing the subject and the verb. So you did not answer in one sentance, a sentance fragment maybe. But then who cares????

To the topic at hand:

I really like my sander and you should get one cause they are awesome. Everyone has told you the truth so far so I won't add anything else.

Frank Pellow
02-15-2006, 9:50 PM
Because of the "funky" green accent colour. :D

Oh yes, also because the Festool Rotex 150 is a more comfortable, more efective, and (I expect) longer lasting sander than the Porter Cable.

Mark Singer
02-15-2006, 10:30 PM
The PC 333 is basically a disposable machine...I went through several of them. The bearings where fast! The Bosch is a big upgrade and the Festool is still better... The 150/3 is a terrific unit and the Rotex is also very capable

Christian Aufreiter
02-16-2006, 8:49 AM
Thanks for your kind words, John.

Regards,

Christian