PDA

View Full Version : lessons

Rich Stewart
02-15-2006, 2:15 PM
Finally got some time in the shop today. Learned a couple things.

1. Just because the part is in the little bag with another part doesn't mean that part goes with that other part.
2. Pens are very hard to take apart.
3. Blood is not good to finish pens with.

It was just a little cut but it looked like somebody butchered a hog in my shed. Looked like a paper cut. Wouldn't stop bleeding and me trying to pull that pen apart was making it squirt.

Then I tried making a little...uh..vase type thing out of some spalted Alaskan Birch. It was messin' with me. I would just get it about how i wanted it and a chip would fly off. Have to go a little smaller. Almost there and another chip. Finally got it to stay together and the finish looked terrible so I had to sand it completely down and start over. Twice! Anybody ever use any of that Blenhems turners polish? I seem to get lines around my piece. Makes a nice hard shine but makes marks. Argh. Taking a break now. Might try again this afternoon.

George Conklin
02-15-2006, 2:24 PM
It was just a little cut but it looked like somebody butchered a hog in my shed. Looked like a paper cut. Wouldn't stop bleeding and me trying to pull that pen apart was making it squirt.

No pics,,, didn't happen. You know the rules:D .

George

Keith Burns
02-15-2006, 2:39 PM
No pics,,, didn't happen. You know the rules:D .

George

Got that right:D

Yes I use the polish all the time. Just another thing you have to practice on to get it right. If it doesnt look right put another coat on.The best rag I've found is old cotton sheets and old cotton(almost hate to say it) underwear. In other words a smooth rag. Not a terrycloth type.

Rob Bourgeois
02-15-2006, 4:38 PM
Got that right:D
old cotton(almost hate to say it) underwear.

Remind me never to pick up one of your turnings...:p

Bill Stevener
02-15-2006, 5:32 PM
Hay Rich, why not just buy some Blood wood, it's not all that expensive.:confused:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Steve Hayes
02-15-2006, 5:43 PM
Sounds like the movie The Red Violin.

Rich Stewart
02-15-2006, 6:59 PM
Hey Rob, Don't worry. I ain't got nothing pennicillan won't kill.

Forgot lesson number four.

4. CA glue bonds skin instantly. Also removes those pesky fingerprints. I now have a bald thumb and forefinger tip.