PDA

View Full Version : How do you join pieces?

Eddie Watkins
02-15-2006, 2:12 PM
I am in the middle of assembling an entertainment center and was wondering how others join things. I have always used glue and nails or screws and usually use tongue and groove, dados, or mortise and tenons. The plans I am using call for glue only with butt joints in several places. While I have seen glue hold against extreme pressure, my nature is to err on the safe side. How do you do it and what's your preference if it is different?

Eddie

Jim Becker
02-15-2006, 2:25 PM
There is no one answer...all of the above, depending on the situation. Butt joints with plywood will be stronger than butt joints with solid stock when you have end-grain involved, for example. Pocket screws can help alleviate some of that...M&T (traditional or floating tenon) can be a better choice for things under great stress, either always or potentially. Etc.

Steve Schoene
02-15-2006, 2:27 PM
Put a few biscuits in those butt joints and the strength will improve dramatically.

tod evans
02-15-2006, 2:32 PM
carcase sides? dovetails, frame members, mortise-n-tennon, shelves, dados....... as jim said there`s no one answer? what are you joining and where, outta what material? .02 tod

Mike Cutler
02-15-2006, 5:37 PM
From my first shop teacher in the 7th grade.

" A screw is a very good, cheap, permanent clamp. Use 'em"

It's hard to beat a screwed and glued joint.

Eddie Watkins
02-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. I guess the problem is that I really don't like butt joints and was wondering if they were widely used or if folks had "standards" they followed glue and screw when possible or only glue whe possible. For example, on table tops out of solid wood I usually use a tongue and groove with glue only even though a butt joint with glue only would probably work. On dadoed corners I glue and use screws if it is hidden or finish nails if possible for extra hold and strength. I was building the entertainment center out of necessity because SWHPFTT ( she who helps pay for the tools) :) wanted it. I don't consider an EC to have the potential to be an heirloom because technology is changing so fast that most TVs will be obsolete within a few years if not months. I chose to make it out of plywood to make it faster and cheaper. As I was gluing the solid wood strips to the side of the plywood to hide the plys it occurred to me, as Steve suggested, that I should have used biscuits for my own peace of mind and was wondering what others do. I think I will go back and put screws in any joints where I can put them inconspicuously as Mike suggested, again, for peace of mind. Sorry if I didn't phrase my questions very well.