PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Jig Turned into a Tablesaw. Tool Gloat

Mike Cutler
02-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Last weekend was my birthday, and LOML took me on a shopping spree to the local Woodcraft store in Warwick RI.
I had decided on getting a dovetail jig, and was trying to decide between the Leigh and the Akeda, tough choice. So I was sort of wandering around the store trying to decide when I noticed that they had started carrying the General Line of tablesaws. After looking them all over I decided that my 15 year old Jet contractor needed to be replaced. It had recently started vibrating and thumping like an 80's disco, so it was time to look around some.
I came away with the General Model 50-220 "Hybrid Saw". It is essentially a contractor saw with dust collection capabilities, but it is really well executed. The bigger General was just to large to fit in my shop, and I didn't want another contractor saw because of the lack of dust collection. The 50-220 seems to really fit my needs.
I also noticed the JessEm Mast-R-slide on another saw. Wow! It was sweet. I've had a love/hate relationship with my Incra 2000 since I bought it, and this was going to be it's replacement. I had to have one of these.
In the end I walked out of the store with a General Model 50-220 tablesaw, the JessEm Mast-R-Slide, a nice Jet mobile base, and an CMT combination blade. All courtesy of LOML( She really twisted my arm to get these toys, hard.;) )

I have the saw and the slider setup now. I'll really be able to check it out more fully when the weather warms up a bit, but the initial cuts I did to line everything up were very positive. Nice machine(s) I believe that I am really going to enjoy them.
I haven't given them complete once over but these are my likes and dislikes.
The General was very poorly packaged. It is essentially loose, and sitting on the pallet under the cardboard box. Luckily it only weighs about 250-300lbs, so there were no incidents when the saw shifted in the box as I was getting it out of the truck.
The fit and finish of the saw are excellent. Everything was aligned, so there was very little fussing about to do, with the exception of modifying the fence rails to mount the JessEm. The tables are flat in all directions and polished. Very nice.
The JessEm simply is "as advertised". What a nice accessory. This is a high quality addition to any tablesaw, and I'm really looking forward to getting used to it. It get's my hands away from the blade, and it is very solid.

Here are the pics of the machine assembled. It's about 20 degF. in the shop right about now, but when I get a little more time I'll try to post some more complete critiques.

Don Baer
02-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Nice Gloat. I'm sure your gonna like that one

Michael Ballent
02-15-2006, 1:24 PM
Cha Ching :D Nice selection, my wallet is feeling your pain ;) That will be great addition to your shop. :D

Jim DeLaney
02-15-2006, 3:22 PM
...In the end I walked out of the store with a General Model 50-220 tablesaw, the JessEm Mast-R-Slide, a nice Jet mobile base, and an CMT combination blade...

Yeah, but which dovetail jig did you get - Leigh or Akeda? ;)

Mike Cutler
02-15-2006, 5:26 PM

You Know. In all honesty, I don't think that you can go wrong picking either of them.
If you'd like to "loan" me a birthday, I think I'm leaning towards the Akeda.;)

Jim Becker
02-15-2006, 5:28 PM
Nice score, Mike. I guess it was a very productive shopping trip!

Howard Rosenberg
02-15-2006, 5:55 PM
proud to see your shop so filled with CDN-made goods!

Use 'em well - ya done good.

Howard

Todd Davidson
02-15-2006, 6:27 PM
Happy Birthday to you!!! Looks like a sweet set-up. Congratulations.

Tim Devery
02-15-2006, 6:35 PM
I am drooling over the slider. I am presently stuck with a plywood one.
As Homer Simpson say's GLUGG GLUGG "slider"

scott spencer
02-15-2006, 6:58 PM
Holy Cow Mike! You must have been a good boy this year! :D Excellent haul...cognrats!

In time, you'll likely find the 50-220 to have other advantages to a contractor saw besides DC. Nice gift....now go make something nice for the LOYL....and I know you've made the dinner reservations already! ;)

Lou Morrissette
02-15-2006, 7:29 PM
Nice score, Mike. Thats a great looking set-up. BTW, how is the Warwick store? The only one I've been to is in Somerville, Ma and that's a hassle to get to and very small.

Lou

Matt Meiser
02-15-2006, 7:48 PM

I was just going to ask the exact same question.:D

Mike Cutler
02-15-2006, 7:57 PM
Nice score, Mike. Thats a great looking set-up. BTW, how is the Warwick store? The only one I've been to is in Somerville, Ma and that's a hassle to get to and very small.

Lou

Lou. I personally like the Warwick store. I've always had good service. The folks know their product line. I've never had a problem returning anything.
It looks like a bomb went off in it right now. They've been having a big sale the last week or so, and there are mark down tables everywhere. Sorta like a swap meet with the wrappers still intact.
It also has Panera's right next store, with free internet WIFI, if you happen to bring someone along that may not be as interested in woodworking as you are.
There is a Ruby Tuesday's, an Outback and a Mc Donalds in the same plaza, if you want to make a day of it.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-15-2006, 7:58 PM
Happy Birthday and enjoy the new saw. Dovetail jig? What dovetail jig? :)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2006, 8:45 PM
Wow! What a birthday upgrade!:D

Lou Morrissette
02-16-2006, 9:59 AM
Thanks, Mike. Warwick is only about 1.5 hour drive for me. I'll have to give it a shot.

Lou

Andy Hoyt
02-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Very cool, Mike. That slider thing looks very (dare I say it) sexy.

Dave Avery
02-16-2006, 7:49 PM
Mike,

I have an Akeda - your welcome to stop by and put it through its paces at a mutually convenient time. Dave.

Corey Hallagan
02-16-2006, 8:19 PM
Awesome! Great looking piece of equipment! Enjoy.

Corey

Mark Singer
02-16-2006, 9:04 PM
Great stuff! Enjoy it!

Jim DeLaney
02-16-2006, 9:59 PM
You Know. In all honesty, I don't think that you can go wrong picking either of them.
If you'd like to "loan" me a birthday, I think I'm leaning towards the Akeda.;)

Mike,
I've had the Leigh for about ten years. Used it a lot, and really like its versatility. Fairly easy to set up - contrary to what a lot of folks say - as long as you read the book.

Haven't used the Akeda, but it looks intriguing.