PDA

View Full Version : Problems Playing Back DVD...

Keith Starosta
02-15-2006, 12:40 PM
OK, I need some help. I have about ten DVD's that have a total of 60 video files, all with a .dvr-ms file extension. When launching them through Microsoft Media Player V10.0, I get very clear audio, but can't see any of the video. I've been troubleshooting this, off and on, for a few days now, and have gotten to the point where I need some advice from somebody who knows what they are doing when it comes to playing back recorded DVDs.

This is my current configuration:

- Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2
- MS Media Player V10.0
- InterVideo WinDVD7 (full trial version)

MS Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility indicates that I have the following MPEG-2 decoder installed: InterVideo Video Decoder, with a file name of IVIVIDEO.ax V7.0.27.130, which is both MCE compatible and set as the preferred decoder.

When I try to launch any of the files, I still get the following message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a required codec is not installed on your computer." But the Video Checkup utility is saying that I have a vaild codec installed. I am stumped, and getting frustrated! :mad: :confused:

Can anybody help me out?

I just thought of this...is it possible that the media that I am using aren't actual DVD's, but CDs? Is it possible to burn a dvr-ms file onto a regular CD, and how could I check this?

- Keith

Chris Fite
02-15-2006, 1:38 PM
Will any DVD play?

Keith Starosta
02-15-2006, 1:46 PM
Yep. There's nothing wrong with the DVD drive. I think it has something to do with the files themselves.

Keith

Jim Fancher
02-15-2006, 2:52 PM
I'm sending you a couple of links for the solution in a PM.

Jim Fancher
02-15-2006, 2:57 PM
I just thought of this...is it possible that the media that I am using aren't actual DVD's, but CDs? Is it possible to burn a dvr-ms file onto a regular CD, and how could I check this?

- Keith

As long as they fit the media, you're fine. You just have to have a decoder with the correct codec.

Keith Starosta
02-15-2006, 3:24 PM
I'm sending you a couple of links for the solution in a PM.

Jim, that did the trick!! Awesome.....thank you VERY much!!

- Keith, very happily watching his DVDs....:D

Jim Fancher
02-15-2006, 3:42 PM
Jim, that did the trick!! Awesome.....thank you VERY much!!

- Keith, very happily watching his DVDs....:D

Glad I could help. Sometimes pays off being the geekiest kid on the block. ;)