PDA

View Full Version : TS 220 upgrade?

Bryan Rocker
02-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Good morning all,

I recently found this forum after one of your co-horts posted a link on the wood magazine forums. I started cruising the forums and reviews once my wife gave me the green light to purchase a compound miter saw. I did wind up purchasing a Delta 12" miter saw and I couldn't be happier with it. She has now given me the green light to upgrade my table saw. My current Duracraft 10" table saw is of contractor grade, aluminum grid top on a custom cabinet. It has given me long and faithful service. It is tired the bearings are getting loose so its time to replace it. I am still on active duty so weight is a definate issue but not a show stopper. I have been looking at the Craftsman 22124 along with the Delta 36-71X range. However the local lumber yard has the Delta 36-830 on sale for 1299. My question is this, is the 830 worth the upgrade of $500 or more. Yes it will take me from 1 3/4 to 3 hp. All the saws on my short list are upgradeable to 220 already. I have a drier 220 outlet available, although currently discoed. On a side note, I will be storing the saw at the front of my 2 car garage when not in service. I wish I had the room some of you had with those very nice set ups in the "Show me your TS" thread.....

tod evans
02-15-2006, 11:41 AM
welcome bryan! i only give simple advice regarding tablesaws: cast iron and horsepower.....02 tod

Cecil Arnold
02-15-2006, 2:05 PM
What Tod said. However, if weight and storage is a real issue, and depending on how long you are going to remain on active duty, you might want to consider the Festool system. While I have Festool and like the system, it AIN'T a table saw. You can do TS functions but will take more time in many cases. The table, miter, etc are all add ons so th ecost will be the same or higher than the TS you are looking at but it will pack and go much easier.

Tyler Howell
02-15-2006, 2:46 PM
Ditto What Cecil said! If it's a TS Tod's got the answer but if you are subject to move often. I can't say enough about the TS features you can take to the job site.
Welcome to the creek.

Bryan Rocker
02-15-2006, 5:26 PM
Storage is probably my number 1 issue. I need to be able to store the TS until I need it next. Having said that I stopped by the local Woodcraft store and they had a 3HP cabinet saw on a portable base and it moved easily. The minimum specs I personaly have are cast iron top, high end fence system (Bs or Accufenc) and 110/220 convertable. I need to do some research on the GI TS they had there. They claimed it was a 20amp 2HP 110 saw. Thanks for the comments. As to how long I am staying here?? You never know what Uncle Sugar has in mind for you, although I have over 20 years AD time will tell IF I move again.

Jim Becker
02-15-2006, 5:36 PM
They claimed it was a 20amp 2HP 110 saw.

Which will require a new circuit be run...you might as well get a 3hp cabinet saw in that case since the cost for running a new 120v 25+ amp circuit is going to be nearly the same as a 240v 20a circuit.

I have my cabinet saw on a mobile base. It moves quite easily...and is actually more compact than many of the contractor's style saws that have a motor hanging out the back.

scott spencer
02-15-2006, 5:54 PM
Hi Bryan - It's much harder for us to know what the impact of the additional $500 expenditure is on your lifestyle. There's little argument that the 3hp Delta is a more substantial saw, but there is valid debate about how much you really need. I have no doubt that a Hummer is more substantial than my Sunfire, but that purchase would ruin us. ;) If you'll recover quicky, I'd lean toward the big gun. Having said that, I'm cutting wood happily with a sub 2hp 22124. The General 650 is my lotto/retirement dream.

The GI 50-220 is listed as 13 amps @ 110v and 6.5 @ 220v, so it should be run easily on a standard circuit. I think it's the Grizzly hybrid that's 20 amps (> 20?). From General's site - 2 HP, 110/220 V, 13/6.5 A.

Burt Waddell
02-15-2006, 8:59 PM
Bryan,

I'm in empathy with you. I had one of those little table saws and they leave a lot to be desired. In the last few months, I've started using the EZ Smart guided tool system. It combines the capabilities of the table saw and several other tools in one compact easy to store unit. Check it out at www.eurekazone.com (http://www.eurekazone.com).

Bryan Rocker
02-15-2006, 9:55 PM
There is already a 220 dry circuit in the garage. I disabled it when I moved the dryer out of the garage and into the utility room. There is also along the inside wall of the kitchen which is next to the garage a 220 circuit which I have no use for due to removing the wall oven 6 months ago. One thing I find funny is when I looked at the motor for the 22124 todays its rated at 15 amps 110 and 7.5 amps at 220 but only rated at 1.75 hp. IT sure would be nice if all these motors used the same formula to list their rated HP...... I have the ready funds to cover the additional 500 but it would be some time before I could replace it.

If I were to rewire the 22124 to 220 how would it improve the performance of the saw????

Thanks for the info, I was hoping to buy my saw this week but it is looking doubtful now.......

John Lannon
02-16-2006, 4:52 AM
Hi Bryan. How many more "change of duty stations" do you think you will make before you get out.

Military contract movers, as you may already know, are notorious, for theft and damage to your personal goods. I dont think I have ever had a move in my navy career that did not leave my wife crying her eyes out over damage. I have had tools stolen during a couple "PCS" moves.

You might want to wait until you get out or at least do a "self move". I think you would be sick to your stomach to see a nice 22124 wadded up like a like a train wreck, or being "AWOL"

I live in Virginia Beach and have a few active duty woodworker friends. One of them has a BT3000, and likes the saw alot for the size and money. But the primary reason that he bought it was that , he can disassemble the legs and put the rest of the saw into a crate that he built for it. He wants a nice saw some day, but has 5 years left before he retires and is holding off. Never indentify a box as "TOOLS" either, as they will end up in a pawn shop before you even show up at your your next duty station.

Bryan Rocker
02-16-2006, 10:08 AM
When I moved up here to Dayton last year I was extremely concerned about tools disapearing. I bought a tool box set from harbour freight and put 90 percent of my tools in it and then locked it. The boxes empty weighed in at around 300 pounds. I watched them very carefullly load it on to the semi. It didn't recieve not so much as even on scratch. They didn't get the keys ever. This time all my tools and stuff made it. That has not always been the case. I did lose a few things to breakage. I completely understand about losing things in transit. On one move to Germany my custom pool cue which my wife had just gotten me was "lost" before it made it there.... They now offer replacement cost insurance on moves but it costs you quite a bit of change....