PDA

View Full Version : Cutting round stock on BS

Jack Wood
02-15-2006, 9:10 AM
I have read about how a BS can grab a round piece of wood and kick it out, but I don't recall seeing how you prevent this this problem. So how do I safely cut round stock on a BS without kickback(or forward?) :confused:

tod evans
02-15-2006, 9:16 AM
as in a dowell????? i just hold on tight! if you`re worried about that technique fasten a straight edge to one end to keep it from rolling, or clamp it securely to your miter gauge, or set the piece in a home made "v" block and clamp to that.....02 tod

Jack Wood
02-15-2006, 9:30 AM
Hi Tod, yes dowels and tree limb round type also. Say you have a 10" diameter log and want to cut a section off it, just pushing it through is suppose to be a hazard isn't it?:confused: I remember hearing about how it could grab the wood and spin it right off the table:eek: Not a good thing if your hands are holding it. Any ideas?

tod evans
02-15-2006, 9:36 AM
yup, screw a straight edge to it so the straight edge registers on the table.....02 tod

Richard Wolf
02-15-2006, 6:05 PM
The problem with cutting tree limbs is that they are not sitting flat on the table. Once you cut most of the way thru the two half shift and pinch the blade. Not a place you want to be. As tod said, secure the limb to a cradle with screws, DON'T CUT THE SCREWS.

Richard

tod evans
02-15-2006, 6:23 PM
The problem with cutting tree limbs is that they are not sitting flat on the table. Once you cut most of the way thru the two half shift and pinch the blade. Not a place you want to be. As tod said, secure the limb to a cradle with screws, DON'T CUT THE SCREWS.

Richard

hey richard.....sounds like you`ve bought a blade or two also:) good to know i`m not the only one....02 tod

Dennis McDonaugh
02-15-2006, 8:12 PM
Is it only large diameter objects like tree limbs? I have a hard time seeing how a dowel could be "spun" off the table with the geometry of a bandsaw. The blade moves downward and cuts the back of the dowel. Doesn't that "pull" the dowel into the blade? How can it spin it off the table until its cut in half?

tod evans
02-16-2006, 7:52 AM
dennis, any time you present a piece of wood to the bandsaw blade where the part being cut isn`t in contact with the table there is a chance that the blade will grab and pull the piece down toward the table. in the instance of a round object it`s possible for the blade to rotate it like a wheel causing the person operating the saw to loose control of the piece....make sence????? .02 tod

Byron Trantham
02-16-2006, 9:50 AM
Anything over, say 2", should be screwed to a stable platform before sawing. Smaller items can be placed against a miter and brought through with relative safety. As has already been pointed out - don't saw the screws!:D

Jack Wood
02-17-2006, 7:30 PM
From my understanding(limited at best) what happens is that the teeth grabs the wood and spins it so that it rotates with sufficient power to be ripped out of your hands, :eek: this usually occurs right at the start of the cut. Similar to a cog and wheel effect. The mounting to a crosscut type sled is a good idea apparently for cutting limbs and rough lumber. :rolleyes: Oh and don't saw the screws!