PDA

View Full Version : LOML V-day present--critique wanted

Curtis O. Seebeck
02-15-2006, 1:47 AM
I made this vase for my wife for V-day. It is mesquite and measures 7" tall and is 3 1/2" in diameter. It is hollowed all the way to a wall thickness of 1/4" more or less. It is finished with Watco and buffed on the lathe with some wax for final polish. It was sanded to 12,000 mm.

In the first picture you can see the large crack that was present in the blank. Well, naturally, I had the vase most of the way hollowed and I got a catch with the Hollowmaster and it blew apart, completely in half! I thought about it for a minute and decided to glue it back together with Titebond. After waiting a day for the glue to dry, I re-mounted it, finished the inside and did the final shaping on the outside. You can not see where I glued it back together! Talk about a save!

My wife loved it and said it was my best work so far. Please give me some honest critique on the form and flow. I think it turned out good but would like another point of view. Thanks!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/Mesq2-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/Mesq2-2.jpg

Gary Max
02-15-2006, 4:23 AM
I agree with your wife---Nice form flows real good.

Chris Barton
02-15-2006, 6:39 AM
Nice work Curt!

Bob Noles
02-15-2006, 6:47 AM
Curtis,

Another great piece. I'll bet your wife was all smiles.

doug webb
02-15-2006, 6:48 AM
Great work. Glad you decided to finish it after it came apart. Wonder how many more beautiful pieces are discarded that could be saved? Keep 'em coming!

Travis Stinson
02-15-2006, 7:11 AM
Great save! Nice, pleasing flow with the shape.

Dave Wimmer
02-15-2006, 7:29 AM
Curtis, Nice form and nice save.

Raymond Overman
02-15-2006, 7:31 AM
Very nice turning Curtis. I like it alot.

One thing that you may want to try next time is "tucking" the foot of the vase. Come about an inch or maybe a little more from the bottom and take a sharp, even curve into the base. This will make the vase look lighter at the bottom and lift it up a little. It will give the bottom a shadow and some interest, as well as continue the curve you've created at the top. You've got a beautiful even curve from the top to the bottom and then a sharp angle.

Jim Dunn
02-15-2006, 7:48 AM
Curtis I like this vassssse. But I liked the other one too. I bet she'd take both for valentines day.

John Hart
02-15-2006, 7:56 AM
Very nice Curtis. I like everything about it. I also like the tuck idea that Raymond mentioned. I've started to do that myself and it adds a lot for such a simple feature. Nice save!!:)

Keith Burns
02-15-2006, 8:10 AM
Curtis, I agree with your wife on this one:) . I think you nailed it on the form, wouldn't change a thing:) :) . Great piece.

Andy Hoyt
02-15-2006, 9:38 AM
This is a great piece Curtis. There's something poetic about a broken piece that got saved for a Valentine's Day gift for your wife; whose heart (if you're like the rest of us and our own spouses) has been broken and mended time and again.

John Hart
02-15-2006, 9:42 AM
Why Andy! You're a poet too!!! Very nice sentiment. I believe you just made my day!:)

Jim Becker
02-15-2006, 2:41 PM
Very nice form, Curtis!! Beautiful piece...LOYL is very lucky!!

John Miliunas
02-15-2006, 2:52 PM
I think it's great, Curtis! I know that the LOML would've certainly loved to receive something like that. Maybe one of these years, I'll get good enough to present her with one! :) Thanks for the inspiration! :) :cool:

Glenn Hodges
02-15-2006, 6:01 PM
This effort shows me a vase with pleasing lines done in one of my favorite woods. I aplaude your save and craftmanship.