PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for a GO490-How do they get to distribution centers?

Allen Bookout
02-14-2006, 9:42 PM
I know that we are all anxious to get our machines and I know that Grizzly wants us to have them so that they can get paid.

I know nothing about the shipping industry so here is what I envisioned. Lines of trucks at the docks in Seattle being loaded and racing toward the Grizzly distribution centers non stop. Bellingham WA - a few hours, Springfield MO - three or four days, Muncy PA - four or five days.

Well, that has not happened. Must be too expensive. Need to keep the cost down so that the consumers can afford the merchandise and the company make a profit.

No major waterways so that is out. Would take weeks even if it was an option.

Air is certainly out.

Must be rail. Those must be the cars on side tracks that I see waiting days at a time to make up another load to continue onward. Best affordable option but takes FOREVER.

Now that I have it all figured out it is not so hard to wait.

If anyone is in the know, is this correct or do I need to take some logic courses?

Allen

Dan Rider
02-14-2006, 10:07 PM
My General 350 saw was built in Drummondville Quebec, and is being shipped to me in Alberta as we speak. Their choice of transportation? -- Rail. It was shipped Jan 30/06 and should be here mid to late February.

I don't know Grizzly's mode of shipping, but for many goods that have to go cross-country, rail makes good economic sense.

Allen Bookout
02-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Dan, I changed titles on you. Thanks for the information!

Allen

John Lannon
02-15-2006, 3:58 AM
More than likely, since you live in SW Florida, your machine will be shipped to you by ground freight. Most likely by truck. But the bulk of machines that the Grizzly distribution centers recieve, will be shipped to them by rail to a nearby rail terminal. Some local jockey will hustle them from the rail terminal to the whare house.

I was a "over the road" trucker (owner operator) for 6-7 years after I retired from the navy.