PDA

View Full Version : Workbench pics

Marcus Ward
02-14-2006, 9:16 PM
A friend of mine gave me a band saw the other day (craftsman 12" tilt head) and asked for a bench he could mount his fork bender to (he builds bicycles). Being as this is the first large thing built in this shop I kind of went overboard trying out stuff, proof of concept type things. The top is oak about 1.75" thick, the legs and stretchers are pine, the pins/pegs(?) are walnut as is the shelf on the bottom. If I had to do it again I wouldn't use pine for the legs, I'd use oak. The price around here is cheaper for oak and I wouldn't have gummed my machines up as bad. Also pictured is the bandsaw I received in trade. Thoughts?

Corey Hallagan
02-14-2006, 9:28 PM
Congrats on the new bandsaw and great looking work table!

Corey

Jim Becker
02-14-2006, 9:53 PM
I think you now have a bandsaw to use and your friend has a very nice workbench!

Dan Rider
02-14-2006, 9:55 PM
I'm not too keen on that bandsaw, but that bench is very nice. The pegged through-mortices on the stretchers show good craftsmanship.

If you ask me, your friend got the better of the trade! ;)

Bob Noles
02-14-2006, 9:58 PM
Marcus,

Your friend is getting the best end of the deal... Thanks is a fantastic bench.

Great work and thanks for sharing.

Marcus Ward
02-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Well I wouldn't have made it that nice but there were some things I wanted to try out before I do them on furniture I'm making for my wife. Rob got a nice bench but I got to learn how to cut tight mortise and tenons on it and see how those square pegs work. Thanks for the kind words.

Vaughn McMillan
02-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Great looking bench Marcus. I agree that your friend got a great deal, but fully understand using the bench as a test run. And you'll likely start coming up with curvy stuff to build now that you can a bandsaw.

When you mentioned that your friend had a fork bender, I thought he was into psychokinesis or something. ;)

- Vaughn

lou sansone
02-15-2006, 5:39 AM
very nice bench.. best wishes with your new saw
lou

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-15-2006, 5:56 AM
Wow, nice workbench!

Lots of people would be proud to have that in their front room!

I bet that bandsaw will be fine for it's intended purpose.

Cheers!

Maurice Ungaro
02-15-2006, 8:11 AM
Marcus, I think you BOTH got a good deal. As you 've stated, you got some good practice and application experience - quite valuable indeed. Good looking bench.

Tyler Howell
02-15-2006, 8:43 AM
Nice Bench Marcus. Great way to work out the details for future projects.
Picture Police Seal of approval;)