PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #21 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
02-14-2006, 9:09 PM
February 14th, 2006

YIPPEEEE!!! Nice day today. The temp got up to 44. Benny and the boys got the place roofed and Tyvek on. Tomorrow the roofer comes and gets the paper on.

Good thing as we are in the path of a snow storm. Looks like we'll get about 5-7 inches, but if the system slips south a wee bit we could end up with 15 or more inches. It'll probably be a few more days before the roofer gets back to shingle though.

The windows arrive tomorrow and the GC is sending extra bodies to get them all in, so we'll be sealed up by the time the storm hits.

Brian is coming tomorrow to do the final measure for the cabinets so those can get ordered. Also, we'll go over the various doors to determine which way they'll swing. HVAC is supposed to be there also and I'll get to determine where the supply vents will be placed. Within reason of course.

I think the plumber is coming Thursday as well as the electrician. The electrician will go over each room with me to determine where I want A/C outlets, switches, cable and phone jacks as well as ceiling boxes for fans and lighting fixtures. Electrician is coming back Saturday and start pulling wires.

Here's some pics. This is the front/South Face.

Showing the South and West Face

West and Partial North Face

North Face

East Face
This is where the deck will be.

Thanks for looking. More to come tomorrow.

Karl

Von Bickley
02-14-2006, 9:24 PM
Karl,
Everything is looking good. Sure do enjoy looking at the pictures. The pictures make us all feel like we are involved with your building project.:)

David Fried
02-14-2006, 9:31 PM
Karl,

After watching them level the old house this has got to be a relief! Looks like your in good shape for the storm and everything is moving along. Looks like a lot of house! Keep us posted!

Dave Fried

Jim O'Dell
02-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Where'd all the windows go????! Looks like a house is born. Nice to know you'll get it snugged up tight before the storm hits. Keep the updates coming!! Jim.

Jim Becker
02-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Record time! It looks great, Karl!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Your contractors working and Mother Nature's been cooperating! Looking good Karl! Keep us posted.....we'll keep our fingers crossed!

Corey Hallagan
02-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Looking good Karl! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
02-14-2006, 11:19 PM
I was gonna make some wise-guy remark about how I liked the way you'd handled the bedroom window placement (by eliminating them), but I see Jim O'Dell was faster on the window joke. :)

Excellent progress, Karl. You're gonna be moving in before you know it.

- Vaughn

Jerry Olexa
02-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Karl, as Spring has said: That's a fine looking shop bldg. Now where will the house be built??

Seriously, get that felt on the roof. That'll give you partial protection from the snow/moisture on the way till they roof it. Looking good...

I Too would need a "Cheesehead Visa" if I come to inspect. But I do root for Green Bay, officer.

Andy Hoyt
02-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Karl - these threads are testament to the quality of your builder. Sure sounds like he really has your interests at the very heart of his effort. You should be proud, and so should he.

Norman Hitt
02-15-2006, 4:40 AM
Karl - these threads are testament to the quality of your builder. Sure sounds like he really has your interests at the very heart of his effort. You should be proud, and so should he.

Heck, Andy, Karl's Builder has probably been reading about the "Housing Bubble" beginning to Burst, so he just wants to get finished and get Paid, before the Loan Folks quit dispensing MONEY.:D ('Course, that makes a REALLY GOOD Situation for Karl);)

Frank Pellow
02-15-2006, 4:48 AM
That's going to be a great looking house Karl. I continue to be amazed by both the weather you are having and by the progess.

Karl, this is the first time I have ever seen a house completly clad then with window (and some door) holes cut afterwords. Is that the way things are I your area? It seems like a waste of material.

Steve Ash
02-15-2006, 8:01 AM
Karl, this is the first time I have ever seen a house completly clad then with window (and some door) holes cut afterwords. Is that the way things are I your area? It seems like a waste of material.

As a building contractor myself Frank, I think I can answer this one for Karl.

When we wrap a house with Tyvek or Typar it comes in a continous roll of around 200 or so feet. It is much easier to wrap it continous and then cut a "X" in the window and door openings fold them back inside and install the windows/doors. It takes a lot less time to also do it this way which offsets the savings from piecing in and cutting around the doors and windows.

John Miliunas
02-15-2006, 8:33 AM
Wow! You're even putting a deck on the shop??? :eek: Nice touch, my friend! That'll be great when Creekers come to visit and need to take a little break from the shop time! :D

Hey, seriously, it's coming along real well and I do hope it's completely buttoned up before tomorrow. Sounds like we're in for a dooooozy of a storm!!!:mad:

Frank, in addition to what Steve said, it's also my understanding that keeping the whole wrap continuous does indeed add even more efficiency in using the wrap in the first place. Doing the "X" thing in window openings and folding back is supposed to help seal it off better once the windows go in. (Can't prove it by me, but that's what I've been told.:) ):cool:

Steve Ash
02-15-2006, 9:13 AM
Nice touch, my friend! That'll be great when Creekers come to visit and need to take a little break from the shop time! :D

Yeah don't forget to have a fridge and a grill nearby. Beer and brats out on that new shop deck would be great. Might want to get some patio furniture as well, Creekers want to be comfortable you know.

Frank Pellow
02-16-2006, 8:27 AM
As a building contractor myself Frank, I think I can answer this one for Karl.

When we wrap a house with Tyvek or Typar it comes in a continous roll of around 200 or so feet. It is much easier to wrap it continous and then cut a "X" in the window and door openings fold them back inside and install the windows/doors. It takes a lot less time to also do it this way which offsets the savings from piecing in and cutting around the doors and windows.
Thanks for the explanation Steve. I learn something new every day.