PDA

View Full Version : Biscut vs Pocket Screws

Bob Yarbrough
02-14-2006, 3:49 PM
Don't have a biscut joiner. Do have a Kreg kit. Dealer told me the pocket joint was just as strong as the biscut joint. Building a bookcase from a single sheet of 3/4 ply. The back is rabbeted in with the 3/4 and the top, middle shelf and bottom will be attached with the biscut / Kreg joint. Solid wood face frame over the front. Pros / cons of the jointing system.

Thanks,

Bob

Chris Dodge
02-14-2006, 4:20 PM
I find the pocket hole jig to be very strong. The only disadvantage to your bookshelf would be that the pocket hole jig leaves a pocket hole that is visible. Lower shelves don't matter because few people will get on their knees to look at the bottom of a shelf but higher shelves might have visible holes on the underside. If you are painting this then plug it up and paint over it. If you are staining it then you can buy or make plugs in a couple of different wood types and they hide pretty well, though not perfectly. Insert the plug, saw it off near the face of the board and sand smooth.

john whittaker
02-14-2006, 4:30 PM
Just a suggestion....Use pocket holes to assemble and/or attach the face frame. Use dado's for the shelves. Since you are using a face frame, through dado's would be strong, easy, and hidden by the frame. No holes to fill or hide. (As Chris points out)

As far as comparing pocket hole vs biscuit strength...they are normally meant for different uses so it depends on what you are doing... but biscuits are not that strong in and of themselves. They are normally meant to aid alignment of joined boards. The strength usually comes from the glue.

Bob Yarbrough
02-14-2006, 4:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Will proably use the dado approach. Did that on the first set of shelves for my step daughter, the wife wants 3 sets and I'm going to try and "mass produce" them.

Bob

Brian Dormer
02-14-2006, 7:22 PM
I have (and have used) both systems. Most of the time, you can get creative and hide the pocket screw holes. For a bookshelf - the screws go under the shelves. If the bookshelf is REALLY tall - (more than 5 1/2 or 6 feet) the top shelves may get the screws on top.

I find I use biscuits less and less. But some things (making up a big plank out of narrower boards) - biscuits are hard to beat.

As for strength - I've never had a properly made joint of either type fail. I would say they are equally strong. Although, the engineering data suggests that the screws are stronger.

bd

Jesse Cloud
02-14-2006, 7:37 PM
Sure, the dado method would work, but you have a solid excuse for buying a new tool. Don't just throw that away!!

Christian Aufreiter
02-14-2006, 7:45 PM
Sure, the dado method would work, but you have a solid excuse for buying a new tool. Don't just throw that away!!

Excellent advise! I second it.:D

Christian

Alan Berezin
02-14-2006, 10:39 PM
I am on the tail end of a big builtin using 3/4 BB. I did the shelves using dados. I started using my router held against a Griset 50" clamp-N-go

After bungling one of the grooves, I bought the 8ft FTR Pro version with router and a saw base. The bases fit slopplessy in the guide and make an a flawless straight line for the router (or saw). Definately goes into the "best $170 i've spent" catagory.

Bob Yarbrough
02-15-2006, 12:31 AM
So many toys, uh, tools, so little $$$$!

Joe Chritz
02-15-2006, 7:32 AM
A shop made router jig works excellent for dados. I have two seperate pieces I clamp to the surface and run the router with a 1/2 bit between.

I just started using a Kreg jig so I don't have a lot of experience with one but I bet the dado is as fast if not faster.

My $.015 (.02 adjusted for inflation)

Joe