PDA

View Full Version : Wader's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
07-28-2003, 9:09 AM
Well.....another weekend has come and gone....Got some shop time in this weekend since I now have a cooler shop to work in. Started a couple of benches for LOML's kitchen table since I haven't had time to make EIGHT chairs....and have never made a chair......the benches was the fastest and easiest thing for me at this time since our blue folding chairs (current kitchen chairs) are seeing their better days. Shoot, Terry Hatfield can tell you as well as Bob Lasley that the LOML does in FACT need kitchen chairs!!!! Any chair builders out there to give me pointers on Missions style chairs?

Any way....the benches are aready for a complete dry fit and if that goes well....I will be ready for final sanding, staining and then the glueup. I thought I would stain first this time before the glue up to see if the finish was better at the joints with stain first and THEN the glue up. Anybody done this before with good results? I have always stained AFTER the glue up to find the glue spots that have to be worked to get the finish consistant.

Best of Weeks............

Bob Lasley
07-28-2003, 9:17 AM
Dennis,

To be real honest with you, I didn't pay much attention to what I was sitting in when I was at your house. I was too busy savoring what I was putting in my mouth. You are married to one fine cook!

I spent a fair amount of time this weekend working on a planer stand (see previous post for pic). Also, had some quality time with my 2 month old grandson while mom and grandma were shopping.

Have a great week all,
Bob

Gary Bindel
07-28-2003, 9:38 AM
I spent about 16 hours in the shop this weekend working on a crib I'm making. I have to have it finished in the next ten days. I also got to spend some time relaxing on my new patio next to my pond. :cool:

Steve Clardy
07-28-2003, 9:41 AM
I'm right in the middle of this walnut staircase, but had bid a kitchen cabinet job for a good contractor that gets me some work, so had to start the lower cabinets. Got two of the lower base corner cabinets started. Got part of my driveway leveled back out and graveled with the tractor and blade [aftermath of getting a new sewer system put in]. Reseeded part of the yard that got tore up, did some weed pulling in the garden, got six 3x10 raised beds put together for the wife. Did a little sweeping in the shop, as it is a mess. Steve

Terry Hatfield
07-28-2003, 9:50 AM
YUP......them not so Mission style folding chairs really don't go very well with that Mission table. :D

I spent most of the weekend still trying to work my way through the MAJOR hail storm here on 7/13. We got 300 assignments in the last 2 weeks and it is plain crazy here!!! :eek:

Did get a bit of time yesterday to get started on my buddy Lanny's kitchen project. Get most of the stiles and rails milled and finished all the drawer fronts. Got all the raised panels laid out as well. True to form...he didn't buy enough wood. :D I'm sure that never happened before to any of us. ;)

Here is a pic of Lanny cleaning the shop at the end of the day....pretty cool to just watch this being done for a change. :D

Terry

Scott Coffelt
07-28-2003, 10:11 AM
Well, I didn't get everything I wanted to get done this weekend, but managed to make progress on some.

Installed a dome skylight Saturday morning, the roof was hotter than heck and still have red marks on body. A little breezy so I had to retrieve part a couple of times. What I had planned as a 2 hour job was more like 4 hours. It is done and work great.

Cleaned up the shop and moved some stuff back into storage that has been in my way for quite some time. I think the trash guys hate coming to my house as I always seem to have bags full of shop stuff (heavy). Built a floor sweep for my DC and worked on a shroud for the CMS, rearranged some tools to make better use of space for organizing the sheet good cut offs.

Finally, did some research on photo printers, decided on the HP 7550. I get it later this week, will try it out and decide if I made the right choice. I was also looking at the Canon i950. Any body have one of these let me know your thoughts.

Todd Burch
07-28-2003, 10:21 AM
Went up to the country this weekend with the family and one of my son's friends. We shot 22's - nailed a couple rats that have been living in my woodpiles for a couple years.

Brought back some 12/4 pine that I cut last year to make a rustic dining room table for the house here. There was some staining, but that will just have to add character to it.

Jason Roehl
07-28-2003, 7:03 PM
Took the family to an airshow on Saturday. Quite a time. It was a small one, they didn't quite run the full gamut of military air power, but there was still a good selection. I got to talk to a few pilots of various aircraft, including an A-10 pilot and a BlackHawk pilot. There were some civvy demonstrators as well--Jim Leroy (Bulldog is his biplane) and Steve Coan in his powered glider--fantastic acrobatics, some of which I've never seen before. The Golden Knights performed (Army paratroopers), one of whom, a Master Sergeant, had over 8600 jumps to his credit. The Thunderbirds showed up and were not due to perform until Sunday, but put on a warm-up show anyway, and ended up getting rained out on Sunday, so we saw all they ended up doing.

My hat's off to all the men and women of our armed services who dedicate themselves to such rigorous training to further our defense.

Sunday was of course, church, and then an afternoon softball game, which we lost--field was tough and wet, so lots of runs all around. Shop time never materialized. :(

Jim Becker
07-28-2003, 8:29 PM
Here is a pic of Lanny cleaning the shop at the end of the day....

What do you mean "end of the day"?? The sun is still shining brightly!!!

As for me, I got everything I needed to get done on the kitchen project this weekend over two very long days to be ready for the 'rockers...who were supposed to be here this morning. Not!! :( (Seems they didn't finish their work this weekend and had to go back to that job first...what a surprise) At any rate, the space is ready for drywall and hopefully, they will show up tomorrow morning.

Today, I put back most of the siding that was down to allow for the new window to be installed (a first time job for me) and trimmed out the window. I also modified the base cabinets I already "finished" to reduce their height slightly by 3/4". A little boo-boo in the measuring department was going to make the counter tops a little two high. For this I am glad that I made the toe-kick/bases separately from the cabinets!

Tomorrow, I'm back into the cabinetry manufacturing business to start the upper cabs and the one remaining base unit now that I have the space such that I could accurately measure the clearance I will have for it. Sometimes you have to design "just in time" on these projects!

And yes, I'm on "vacation" (from my real job) for two weeks to work on this project. Sheesh. This vacation thing is hard work! :D

Project progress pics are available at http://sawsndust.com/p_kit-demo.htm

Charles McKinley
07-28-2003, 8:36 PM
Finished 12.5 sq. today. We reroofed My grandma's farm house. Barn style roof the sides are nearly verticle. Thank God Dad could barrow the company JLG. Planned on doing a simple lay over before discovering Grandad had taken the outside foot or so of the previous two layers off to make it look like there was only one layer there, had to tear it ALL off. We put 1/2 inch plywood down on the top faces. Did I mention two return gables. Great fun.

Terry Hatfield
07-28-2003, 8:47 PM
What do you mean "end of the day"?? The sun is still shining brightly!!!

Jim,

LOL...It's not my wife's kitchen that 's tore all to .... :D

We called it quits at around 7. We both actually had to go back to real work to try and get ourselves unburied from the monster hail storm. Geeezzz...this making a living stuff is going to kill me.

Sounds like you are coming along well with your project....except for the sheetrock. :D

Terry

Jim Becker
07-29-2003, 8:53 AM
LOL...It's not my wife's kitchen that 's tore all to ....

It affects me more than her...Alison is in China this week! (Yes, on the other side of the world) Then again, I'm quite skilled at patronizing eating establishements in the area. Have to do that now, as I'll have to "cut down" once the kitchen is finished to be able to pay for it! (The DCS range costs almost as much as my first new car many years ago did...)

On another note...no rockers again today. "Tomorrow for sure", said the man. If I hadn't helped run a related trade for a couple of years back in the '80s, I just wouldn't understand. But I do. And I have a shop waiting for me to make more cabinets to keep me busy. I'm just disappointed in that I busted my tail on the weekend to be ready for Monday morning...if I had failed to be ready, they would have been on my doorstep bright and early, for sure. :D

Terry Hatfield
07-29-2003, 8:57 AM
Jim,

So true...if they were having to wait on YOU, it would be a differnt story.

good luck with the kitchen.

t

Mike Schwing
07-29-2003, 9:02 AM
My weekend accomplishment was helping to put the biggest smile I've ever seen on the face of the little girl with CF that we took out on the big boat for the Easter Seal's Society. We had this little 8 year old girl who couldn't walk on her own, and her family, aboard. She was absolutely delighted and when we managed to get her up on the bridge and put her behind the helm she was so excited and happy I thought _I_ was going to explode. I can tell you with 100% surety that the horn on the big Egg Harbor hasn't been used that much in the cumulative life of that boat.

That was probably more of a treat for me than it was her. I'm so glad I was talked into volunteering.

Almost won a 1830's drop leaf table (mahogany) on the silent auction but the price went above its value.