PDA

View Full Version : Center for Furniture Craftsmanship

Hank Knight
02-14-2006, 12:26 PM
My wife gave me the course of my choice at The Center for Furniture Craftsmanshp in Rockport Maine for Valentine's Day. I've seen the advertisements for the Center, but I know nothing about it or any of it's programs. I was thinking of registering for a week to 10-day course this summer. Have any of you been there? If so, how did you like it? Can you recommend a course? Garrett Hack teaches a course on designing and building tables that looks good and Tom Caspar teaches a course on handtools in the workshop. Caspar's course looks interesting, but the course deacription sounds pretty elementary. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Hank

CPeter James
02-14-2006, 1:51 PM
Go with Garrett Hack, you can't go wrong.

CPeter

Jay Knoll
02-14-2006, 2:18 PM
Hank

I don't know what level of woodworking skills you have, so it would be kind of crazy to recommend a particular course.

I attended the two week program two summers ago, it was a great experience,

Here is a link to my orginal post on the workshop

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14169

Go, you'll have a great time, take the wife with you and she can shop while you're making shavings (or else attend the sessions) the countryside is very beautiful. There is a great art gallery in Rockland,

Jay

Hank Knight
02-14-2006, 3:09 PM
I called and the Hack course is already full; I'm #1 on the waiting list in the event someone cancels. I spoke witrh Peter Korn, the Director, and he suggested one of the design courses or the course on making a fitting a drawer for someone at my skill level. I signed up for the drawer course because it has an emphasis on hand tools and I never could make a drawer that fit with a hoot.

LOML will go with me and see the Maine countryside while I'm in school. I'd like to see some of it myself since I've never been there. I'll report back in the Fall when I finish the course. I'm really looking forward to it.

Andy Hoyt
02-14-2006, 3:24 PM
Hank - If Mac Ray is on the list - grab it quick.

Tyler Howell
02-14-2006, 3:42 PM
I'm taking a course from Tom Casper now and he is a great resource, He's added his own spin to hand cut dove tails and has a nice mellow approach to teaching.:cool:

Hank Knight
02-14-2006, 3:59 PM
Hank - If Mac Ray is on the list - grab it quick.

Thaks Andy. I looked for Mac Ray, but he's not offering a course this year.

Hank Knight
02-14-2006, 4:04 PM
I'm taking a course from Tom Casper now and he is a great resource, He's added his own spin to hand cut dove tails and has a nice mellow approach to teaching.:cool:

Tyler, Tom Casper's course in "Unplugged" woodworking was on my considertion list, but I wanted something a little more focused. I'm hoping Hack's course opens up: but even if it doesn't, I think I'll enjoy Craig Vandall Stevens' course on making an fitting a drewer. Peter Korn said he thought it would be a good fit for my skills - or lack thereof.

CPeter James
02-14-2006, 4:08 PM
Who is teaching the "drawer course"?

CPeter

Chris Dodge
02-14-2006, 4:08 PM
My wife gave me the course of my choice at The Center for Furniture Craftsmanshp in Rockport Maine for Valentine's Day.

Lucky! All I got was a shirt...

Enjoy whatever class you take!

Hank Knight
02-14-2006, 4:39 PM
Who is teaching the "drawer course"?

CPeter

Craig Vandall Stevens.
Here's the link to the course description:
http://www.woodschool.org/drawermaking.html