PDA

View Full Version : Who to interview

Zahid Naqvi
02-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Treat this thread like a request list. Listed below are interview candidates. Please reply to this thread and post the names of anyone you would like to be interviewed. The only consideration is that the name(s) you suggest must be a complete Neander (hard to find these days) or at least have a Neander inclination. They must be members of SMC as well.

I will keep this list updated to reflect all the names which have been suggested. A * against a name indicates a completed interview. If you have suggested a name and it doesn't appear in this list please PM me.

I'll try and do two interviews per week.

1. Bob Smalser*
2. Dave Anderson*
3. Steve Wargo*
4. Alan Turner*
5. Leif Hanson*
6. Mark Singer*
7. Wolf Kiessling*
8. Derek Cohen*
9. Tom LaRussa (MIA. not responding to emails)
10. Tyler Howell *
11. Shiraz Ballolia (politely declined)
12. Lou Sansone *
13. Rob Millard*
14. Rob Lee (doesn't allow PM)
15. Steve Latta
16. Ben Hobbs
17. Jim Becker
18. Jason Tuinstra *
19. John Miliunas
20. Mike Wenzloff
21. Pam Neidermier
22. Alice Frampton (politely declined)
23. Harry Strasil *
24. Steve Knight
25. Louis Bois *
26. Jake Darvall
27. Mike Henderson *
30. Zahid Naqvi

Tyler Howell
02-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Start at the top and work your way down all great candidates.
Better yet surprise me!!!:cool:

Brian Buckley
02-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Add Tyler Howell to the list.

Brian

Bob Noles
02-14-2006, 1:11 PM
Good luck on Tom LaRussa. He appears to have vanished or at least I have not seen him around in quite awhile, but then again, memory is the 2nd thing to go :D

Ernie Hobbs
02-14-2006, 1:28 PM
here's a few I'd be interested in:

Rob Millard
Shiraz Balolia
Lou Sansone
Dave Anderson
Steve Latta
Ben Hobbs

(Although, I'd change the focus from turning to general woodworking)

James Mittlefehldt
02-14-2006, 1:41 PM
Maybe add Rob Lee to your list the rest are good as well.

Alan DuBoff
02-14-2006, 1:46 PM
Tom LaRussaHey, I'd settle just to know that Tom is ok, let alone an interview. If anyone knows the whereabouts of Tom, let me know.

He turned me an incredible handle out of cocobolo for a hefty 9/16" mortise chisel he promptly named "stumpy".

Charles McKinley
02-14-2006, 9:24 PM
I like all of the above and would add Bill Grumbine.

Zahid Naqvi
02-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Bill Grumbine is more of a turner and I am sure his interview will show up on the turners side of the creek, I was hoping we could focus on the neander side.

John Daugherty
02-15-2006, 9:56 AM
Zahid,

I like everyone on your list

Todd Davidson
02-21-2006, 7:30 PM
Zahid~

First time in a long time tonight I've been able to sit down and and read through SMC. The interviews you've conducted are wonderful. Thanks for executing a great idea! You've chosen some extremely talented and greatly inspirational folks. Am eagerly awaiting your next installment.

In peace, Todd

Jerry Olexa
02-21-2006, 8:47 PM
Add Jason Tuinstra and John Miliunas.

john mclane
02-21-2006, 9:05 PM
I like your interviews but they are coming too fast for me to read all of them. Maybe just one a week? I mostly only spend about 15 min a night or less on the site; I'm sure ther are others like me?

Roger Bell
02-21-2006, 9:47 PM
I've met Mike Wentzloff....very interesting guy and probably a good subject for an interview.......he is making some pretty cool handsaws right now.

Jim Becker
02-21-2006, 9:58 PM
Rob Lee... ;)

Dan Forman
02-22-2006, 4:22 AM
I'd second Mike Wentzloff.

Though she doesn't post as often, how about Pam Neidermier (sp?).

Dan

Alan DuBoff
02-22-2006, 4:42 AM
I'll up your second, and I'll third Mike Wenzloff. I saw Leif Hanson on the list also, looking forward to his, an exceptional member of the woodworking community at large...and another saw maker (just can't have too many saw makers;-).

I'd like to see one of Alf as well, if she's not on the list.

Mike Wenzloff
02-22-2006, 11:37 AM
...I saw Leif Hanson on the list also, looking forward to his, an exceptional member of the woodworking community at large...and another saw maker (just can't have too many saw makers;-).

I'd like to see one of Alf as well, if she's not on the list.
I would second/third or whatever both of those people.

Alice Frampton [Alf] is a very knowledgable woodworker with a great sense of humor who has done much for the wood working community at large. That said, I can now almost see her blushing...

And what more can be said of Leif? He has done more for helping people become self-sufficient especially as regards making and sharpening saws than anyone I know. He freely shares his knowledge--the mark of one comfortable with himself and his abilities.

Dan mentioned Pam--and I would include her too.

So many interesting people. Thanks for doing this I have enjoyed reading about everyone selected. Too bad we cannot all get together for some enjoyable times.

Take care, Mike
who knows he has a monkey on his back re saws...

Zahid Naqvi
02-22-2006, 12:46 PM
I have updated the list to reflect some new names. I have also numbered them.

The only thing to keep in mind when suggesting a name is the "Neander inclination". With the type of questions being asked it is more fun/interesting if a neanderthal is being interviewed.

John Mclane, complained that the interviews are coming in too fast, that's why we have the "master list" sticky. Just go through the list at your leisure.

john mclane
02-23-2006, 9:11 PM
I did not see that earlier. Thanks. The interviews are fun to read and I tend to look up some of their threads to see what they have done since I'm not as familiar with some of the people. Thanks Excellent job.

Derek Cohen
02-24-2006, 1:31 AM
I wouldn't interview Mike.

All he's talk about are those seductive and stunning saws, and this would create far too much distress for all of us. Or he might mention the interesting furniture he has designed and build as a professional cabinetmaker. Or the fact that he comes from a long line of woodworkers, and has an interesting history of his own. Or the fun/challenge in working out of a single garage workshop. Or his unique method of storing wood, Or ... mmm, maybe he is a good candidate to interview.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Wenzloff
02-24-2006, 2:23 AM
Had to chuckle.

Aside from a couple of the other interviews I am looking forward to, I'm looking forward to therapy time with your interview, Derek. Tables turned, you're on the proverbial couch. What exactly makes Derek tic?

As many times as we have communicated, I really know very little about you. And the rest of the list--and those not on it who probably ought to be instead of me. I've enjoyed 'em all.

Now, whoever was last on the coach, make way, it's Derek's turn...

Take care, Mike

Mike Henderson
03-10-2006, 2:48 PM
Zahid, This isn't a suggestion for a person but for an additional thing to include in the interview.

I'd really like to see a picture of the person being interviewed, perhaps in their shop - but any picture of them would help. It would just add an extra dimension to the interview.

Great job - thanks for taking the initiative to do this.

Mike

Zahid Naqvi
03-10-2006, 3:08 PM
I think it's a good idea. So if any of the previously inteviewed personnel would like to add an "at work" picture email it to me and I will add it to your interview.

Zahid, This isn't a suggestion for a person but for an additional thing to include in the interview.

I'd really like to see a picture of the person being interviewed, perhaps in their shop - but any picture of them would help. It would just add an extra dimension to the interview.

Great job - thanks for taking the initiative to do this.

Mike

Bruce Page
03-10-2006, 6:04 PM
Zahid, I think you should interview Zahid Naqvi. :)

Or did I miss it?

Mike Henderson
03-10-2006, 7:12 PM
I agree with Bruce - Let's add Zahid Naqvi to the list!

Mike

Zahid Naqvi
03-11-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't know about that. I really have nothing to add when it comes to woodworking, and haven't lived a life of adventure as many of the others have. Maybe when we run out of all other names.

I agree with Bruce - Let's add Zahid Naqvi to the list!

Mike

Mike Henderson
03-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Everyone has a story.

Mike

Bob Strawn
08-29-2009, 8:27 PM
George Wilson seems like one that should be at the top of the list. Hardly an area of skill or knowledge he is missing. Amazing artist as well.

Bob

Mike Henderson
08-29-2009, 8:45 PM
George Wilson seems like one that should be at the top of the list. Hardly an area of skill or knowledge he is missing. Amazing artist as well.

Bob
I'll second that suggestion. George does amazing work and has a great story to tell.

Mike

harry strasil
08-29-2009, 9:09 PM
Yup, good Idea, put George in the Hot Seat.

jerry nazard
08-29-2009, 9:13 PM
I'll second that suggestion. George does amazing work and has a great story to tell.

Mike

I'll third that one. George also distinguishes himself by residing in the Great Commonwealth of Virginia.... <gr>

-Jerry

Richard Niemiec
08-29-2009, 10:38 PM
How about Joel Moskowitz from Tools for Working Wood. He's got a story to tell for sure.

John Keeton
08-30-2009, 7:09 AM
Both Joel and George would be quite worthy, notwithstanding neither of them have the honored distinction of being Kentuckians!! (Couldn't resist, Jerry!)

But, their experiences are considerably different, and the direction of the interview would need to maximize those experiences. George has such a varied and rich background, in order to avoid a "book" the interview would need to focus on some key issues. He has invented nearly all or a part of most of his creations, and it is that creativity that intrigues me as much as the products of those talents.

Jeff Considine
08-30-2009, 5:44 PM
George Wilson and Harry Strassil both would be great adds to the list.

harry strasil
08-30-2009, 5:50 PM
already nailed me LOL

David Gilbert
08-31-2009, 10:11 AM
How about Adam Cherubini? On at least one level he is living a Neander life. I'd like to know more about George Wilson too.

Cheers,
David

Eric Brown
08-31-2009, 7:38 PM
I suggest Pam Niedermayer. I pesonally would like to hear about more females in woodworking and the issues they have trying to use tools designed primarily for men. Any tips on getting females more interested in the craft would also be nice.

Eric

David Keller NC
08-31-2009, 8:23 PM
Not that this is a bad idea or anything, but this is a seriously ancient thread (the posts on page 2 are from 2006). I'm not sure this is still an "active" one.

Richard Dooling
09-01-2009, 11:56 AM
George Wilson, Joel Moskowitz and Rob Lee

Pohgunn Ooi
09-01-2009, 3:58 PM
Terry Gordon from http://www.hntgordon.com.au/index.html

Chris Vesper from http://www.vespertools.com.au/

george wilson
09-01-2009, 4:34 PM
Chris Vesper visited me last year in Williamsburg,and also came to my house for supper. A very nice young man.