PDA

View Full Version : Wood glue

John Lannon
02-14-2006, 5:05 AM
The wife, while trying to be helpfull, brought home some Elmers Probond interior/exterior wood glue.

Have any of you used this?

What are your favorate glues?

lou sansone
02-14-2006, 5:38 AM
tightbond II and III

lou

Matt Warfield
02-14-2006, 6:03 AM
John,

I've had good results with it. Before I knew better, I built a new medicine cabinet and attached the faceframe with glue only. Probably 35 lbs or so of mirror being supported by the faceframe. Still good three years later when we moved and I haven't heard any complaints from the new owners. I really miss the extra deep medicine cabinet though.

Tom Drake
02-14-2006, 6:19 AM
tightbond II and III

lou

Me too! Works very well.

Ian Abraham
02-14-2006, 7:28 AM
It's a polyurethane glue, like Gorilla Glue.

+ It sticks things together really well, has a good working time and nothing will dissolve it.

- Nothing will dissolve it, if you get it on your skin just wait till the top layer of your skin wears down.

I use polyurethane glue all the time, it sticks things together.. but wear gloves ;)

Cheers

Ian

tod evans
02-14-2006, 7:47 AM
for yellow glue i use "sticks like a leach" brand `cause it doesn`t gum up in the sander like titebond. i also use urea formaldahide, polyurethane, epoxy and ca..it all depends what i`m doing....02 tod

Chris Barton
02-14-2006, 7:49 AM
I have used Probond and like it over other PVAs. A recent reveiw of PVA in one of the wood mags rated Probond as the best. I find that it flows better than TB and is much more predictable.

Joe Chritz
02-14-2006, 7:56 AM
A wood magazine did testing on glues and elmers probond tested highly, both interior and interior/exterior.

The difference between all brands really wasn't enough to worry about.

My last gallon was purchased and it is elmers interior/exterior. Just did a couple cabinet doors and a stair tread to replace the one somebody (me :o ) broke. Neither has fallen apart in the last week or so.

I generally buy whatever is handy when I get low.

Joe

Howard Acheson
02-14-2006, 10:58 AM
"Probond" is one of Elmer's brand names for a family of adhesives. There a couple of types of PVA (yellow and white) as well as a polyurethane adhesive like Gorilla Glue.

It sounds like you are referring to one of their PVA adhesives. If so, it's a very good exterior rated (ANSI Type II) water resistant PVA adhesive. That's a long way of saying that it is the same as Titebond II. In fact, in one test a couple of years ago it got higher ratings than TB II.

Mike Monroe
02-14-2006, 12:31 PM
I've been using Elmers glue for a few years now for interior work. Works just fine for me.

Anthony Anderson
02-14-2006, 3:03 PM
John, I have just about finished my first gallon of Elmer's Probond yellow glue. I have had very good luck with it. Like Chris said, it seems to flow better than the TBII. Good Luck, Bill

Anthony Anderson
02-14-2006, 3:12 PM
John,

I've had good results with it. Before I knew better, I built a new medicine cabinet and attached the faceframe with glue only.

Some people use an additional fastener along with the glue to attach face frames to the carcass. IMO, glue alone is sufficient. Biscuits are great for alignment purposes. But if you are using them for strength, then they are overkill. If properly clamped and glued, a joint between the face frame and carcass will not fail with glue alone. Nothing wrong with it. Sorry I didn't mean to get off the subject at hand. Regards, Bill

Bob Swenson
02-14-2006, 4:01 PM
Our every day Glue is Titebond III. I use it for vacuum laminating veneer on bar tops,
like the fact that it is water proof.:)31846

John Lannon
02-14-2006, 4:58 PM
Thanks for all the feed back. The shop is finally starting to come together. Still need to iron out a few details with the equipment layout.