PDA

View Full Version : lidded box 2-1/4 x 5

George Morris
02-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi to all I am a year old newbe turner , using a jet 1442 lathe . turned some bowls trying my hand at lidded boxs. Any suggestions on type of wood to turn for best results? Also suggestions on remounting bottom of box to turn down bottom? I will try to post some pictures of tonights work , thanks for any imput . Trying to post 3 pictures not sure I can make it happen? George.http://lidded%20boxs/

John Hart
02-14-2006, 7:37 AM
Just like to say Welcome George!! Hope you get your pics figured out. I've only done one box so my experience is very limited. The only lesson I've learned so far is use wood that won't move after you've turned the interface between the box and the lid.

The BoxMaster, Mike Stafford is the real genius. Where's Mike by the way? I miss him.:(

Andy Hoyt
02-14-2006, 7:55 AM
George - Welcome. Glad you found us.

What little I know about boxes can be summed up this way. Most any wood will work - as long as it is dry. Tight straight-grained clear stock works best.

Glenn Clabo
02-14-2006, 8:11 AM
I am a year old newbe turner , Trying to post 3 pictures not sure I can make it happen? George.

Welcome George...
WOW only a year old? That can explain why you're having trouble posting pictures.;) But it doesn't explain how you can reach the lathe...:confused:

Sorry...it's already a bad day here at the office.

Mike Ramsey
02-14-2006, 8:48 AM
Welcome to the Creek George!!
Here's the link to a tutorial on posting pics.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25115

Mark Cothren
02-14-2006, 8:54 AM
Welcome George! Looking forward to seeing your work soon!

Jim Dunn
02-14-2006, 9:34 AM
Howdy George. Welcome to the creek. Boxes are cool and have a nice design, just ask my wife:o:o:p

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2006, 9:38 AM
Welcome George. The only thing I can tell you about boxes is make sure the wood is dry. Otherwise it will move around and you will have problems. I have only turned one box as I am a new turner also.

George Conklin
02-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Welcome, George. From one newbie to another:D .

The guys here are a great. Very helpful and glad to do so.

George

Keith Burns
02-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Welcome George ! You have chosen a great place to hang your hat for sure:) . As John mentioned, Mr. Boxmaster, Big Mike Stafford will hopefully chime in and help you on your box questions:) .

Jim Dunn
02-14-2006, 6:08 PM
George I found this link that has a tutorial about boxes. I found it very useful.
http://turnwood.net/projects/how_to_turn_boxes.htm
If the above thread violates SMC terms of use in some fashion please remove.
Jim

George Morris
02-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks for that box site , very good will have to try that soon , Also thanks for the welcome ! Still can not get pictures will have to ask my wife for some help? Thanks again George.

Corey Hallagan
02-15-2006, 12:43 AM
Welcome George to SMC! I am a total newbie here, sounds like you are a little ahead of me on the curve :)

Corey

Bob Noles
02-15-2006, 6:42 AM
George,

Welcome to SMC. Too bad you are having trouble with the pictures. Keep trying. This is the best group of folks around, so stay with us.