PDA

View Full Version : moble panel lift cart?

richard poitras
02-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Does any body have any plans for a cart of some kind that you can put a sheet of 4'x8' ply on it and wheel it to the saw or saw horse's and not have to lift it up with your back instead have the cart do the work with some kind of leverage or angle or teckneek of some kind? or even one you can by?

Dave Falkenstein
02-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Here's one concept from Wood Magazine:

http://store.woodstore.net/cutplatsheet.html

Bob Rufener
02-13-2006, 10:40 PM
I have the article that Dave mentions. It looks like simple construction. If you would like it, send me your email address and I'll scan it and send it to you as an attachment. ruf@nconnect.net

Steven J Corpstein
02-13-2006, 11:53 PM
http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/wb280-caddy01.html

Bill Fields
02-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Richard:

I face this problem all the time. Solution: The EZ GUIDE system from EurekaZone.com. (see the forum on this site)

One (weak-like me) person drags heavy (3/4 MDF) sheets from truck directly onto the Smart Table, then cuts them up with the EZ GUide System into small, light pieces.

No one weak person lifting!

BILL FIELDS

Bill Fields
02-14-2006, 12:35 AM
Hi--

Upon review, some of the above solutions assume that one cannot treat the problem in one plane--in this case--the horizontal plane, about 3+ feet off the deck.

I do it in one--the horizontal plane.

When you have to slide/lift/shift planes on heavy sheet goods--that's a chiropracters dream.

When I was 18, and an Apprentice Carpenter, my first job was to heft simultaneously two (2) 3/4" cement-soaked 4x8 sheets on the job site on Plum Island NY in 1956. Maybe 200#.

Keep it horizontal, and you will reduce your back strain.

BILL FIELDS

Jay Albrandt
02-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Hi Richard,

I have seen exactly what you are looking for...a way to take a panel from standing on edge to flat for use on a table saw right?

I will try to find the link, or at least a picture but I saw someone make a neat contraption that had a relatively small base that was weighted with bags of concrete and the table tilted from vertical to hortizontal on two pillow blocks. He stored his sheet goods on edge long ways and about 2 inches off the ground. From the stored position, he could slide the sheet goods on to the lift and wheel it to the saw where he tilted the table hortizontal and it balanced there. I am sure it took a little trial and error to get the height just right. Been thinking of making myself one but I am too busy doing a whole house remodel.

Good Luck. Be sure to post your solution if you come up with one.

Jay

Roland Chung
02-14-2006, 2:51 AM
I was doing a bit of research on this subject. Here is something that might work for you. Good luck and let us know if you ended up building something or buying. If you build it, please include some pictures.

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/shop_cart.html

RC

richard poitras
02-14-2006, 10:21 PM
In looking at the posts here, the one's that seems to be more what I had in mind is the one that Roland posted or the one that jay may be thinking of.The one Roland posted I think can maybe work if I down sized it some to use it only for moving and storing sheets, Instead of also useing it as a work table with optional top.plus it could go through reg. swing door's becase the sheet stock is on its side not laying flat. As fare as making one it is second on my list, first off I have just bought a ez guide system(one of the resons I am looking for a panel lift )and I just made the portable smart table the other day and now I am making a moble cabinet that the smart table sits on and in and can be taken on and off from the moble base and used out in the feild and then the base cabinet is going to have shelfs and storage for the saw and the router and parts to the ez system,including storage for the rails, at that point I think I will try to come up with a design that will work for the panel lift useing some of these ideas, hopefully jay you can find the one you are talking about also. thank for all the insite so far guys, when I get the moble cabinet down I will take some pictures of it , the hard part is I have never tryed to post pictures on a or this web site?