PDA

View Full Version : Hall Table Progress

Matt Meiser
02-13-2006, 9:13 PM
I'm making this hall table to replace an oak one I made for our old house that is in our current house's foyer which has oak floors and terra cotta walls. This one is walnut with some awesome walnut burl veneer on top. Design is my own, though certainly influenced by others. Finish is going to be one or two coats of orange shellac followed by Target Coatings USL.

Jason Morgan
02-13-2006, 9:18 PM
Gorgeous!

That thing is gonna pop when you shellac it. Ive been thinking about a piece just like this. Add it to the list...

Josh Goldsmith
02-13-2006, 9:21 PM
very nice! Now you have to post pics when it is all finished. Good job!

Jason Tuinstra
02-13-2006, 9:26 PM
Matt, very nice looking table. The top is going to be stunning once you get some finish on it.

Roger Myers
02-13-2006, 9:27 PM
Boy, that will be awesome when the shellac hits it....can't wait to see pics. Very nice design, Matt.

Matt Meiser
02-13-2006, 9:34 PM
I wiped the top down with mineral spirits twice yesterday just so I could see the figure :D :D :D

I told my wife that this may end up being my personal favorite piece out of everything I've made so far.

Jim Becker
02-13-2006, 9:37 PM
That's gonna be a beauty, Matt. Good choice with the shellac...it will really bring out the walnut like you can only imagine. (De-waxed under the USL... ;) )

Matt Meiser
02-13-2006, 9:45 PM
Forgot to add that this is my first project with two new tools. My Incra 1000SE allowed me to get the miters on the corners of the top perfect. These are by far the best miters I've ever done. Second is my Festool sander and vac. The vac was so quiet that when I was using it with my PC biscuit joiner, I couldn't figure out why the vac didn't turn on. Then I realized that it had, I just didn't hear it over the biscuit joiner! The sander has been awesome too. It is really easy to see it removing the milling marks, which it did with easy, but was also gentle enough to lightly sand the veneer

Tom Pritchard
02-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Beautiful looking table Matt! I really like your design! I can't wait to see it finished!

Dan Oliphant
02-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Nice work Matt, should be very impressive when completed.

Tony Falotico
02-14-2006, 6:22 AM
Nice ! That top is going to be absolutely beautiful when finished.

Tom Drake
02-14-2006, 6:31 AM
Very nice work Matt. Be sure to post more pictures when you get the finish on it.

Karl Laustrup
02-14-2006, 6:43 AM
Matt, I'm on the edge of my chair waiting to see the finished product. My imagination is running wild with how that will look when completed.

Oh yeah, nice joinery and design also. :)

Karl

Keel McDonald
02-14-2006, 6:58 AM
Nice work, Matt! I really like the soft sweeping arcs. I think it adds a lot to the piece. And I love walnut. Great looking table.

tod evans
02-14-2006, 8:17 AM
cool table matt! amber schellac is my favorite way to bring cherry or walnut to life. be sure to post pics when you get it finished...02 tod

John Miliunas
02-14-2006, 8:36 AM
Looking great, Matt! I can't wait to see that puppy blow up...errrrr... I mean, "pop"! (Sorry...Guess I still have "bombs" on my brain! :rolleyes: ). Keep those progress pics coming! :) :cool:

Pete Harbin
02-14-2006, 9:32 AM
Looking good Matt! I've got some pieces of walnut burl veneer "on ice" and your table is very inspirational!

Can't wait to see it with finish!

Pete

Mark Singer
02-14-2006, 9:44 AM
Matt,
It is looking really nice. There is a consistency of simple forms...it will stand the test of time

Larry Crim
02-14-2006, 9:45 AM
Very Cool nice and clean
Larry

Shelley Bolster
02-14-2006, 9:51 AM
Wow - nice piece Matt! How did you do the veneering anyhow - vacuum press or roller?? Your miters look perfect and of course the burl veneer is amazing! Like the others, I am looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Mike Scoggins
02-14-2006, 9:59 AM
Matt,

Like the others, I can't wait to see it when the finish is applied. Beautiful job that will only be more so when finished.

A few questions: Did you use mortise and tenon joinery for the legs/apron? What did you use for the substrate for the veneered top? How is the veneerting substrate attached to the mitered sides and ends of the table top?

Thanks in advance for the details.
Mike

Matt Meiser
02-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Wow - nice piece Matt! How did you do the veneering anyhow - vacuum press or roller?? Your miters look perfect and of course the burl veneer is amazing! Like the others, I am looking forward to seeing the finished product!

I used my home-built vacuum press.

Matt Meiser
02-14-2006, 10:35 AM
A few questions: Did you use mortise and tenon joinery for the legs/apron? What did you use for the substrate for the veneered top? How is the veneerting substrate attached to the mitered sides and ends of the table top?

No, actually I cheated on the joinery. I used pocket hole screws with a reinforcing block at each leg. I had planned to do loose tenons, but once I cut the aprons to length and laid out my template for the curves, I realized that the mortises were going to be really small, and I was concerned about how effective they would be. Doing it again, I'd use traditional tenons.

I used good quality plywood as the substrate. Something called maple die board. I got a bunch of cutoffs from someone that had them for several years with no warping, so I figured it would make a good substrate.

The edging is secured with glue and biscuits.

John Buzzurro
02-14-2006, 6:59 PM
Beautiful table, Matt. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the finish on.

Ken Shoemaker
02-14-2006, 7:13 PM
Matt,
Very well done... Just finished a simaler project with much less detail and no burl, and no sweeping curves, and no shellac, and no miters.... Yep, just like yours. :D :D :D

I've seen and loved your work before... Well done!!!! I, like the others, can't wait to see it with the finish...

Thanks for letting me see it..:)

Ken