PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #20 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
02-13-2006, 9:12 PM
February 13th, 2006

Well, the pace has slowed somewhat. Only a little got accomplished Friday as the crew had an early meeting and didn't start until around 9:30. Some of the roof sheathing was done at the end of the day.

Jump forward to today and the guys were at it again, but only two of them, as the third was sick. It was cold and windy, but Benny and Tim managed to get all but the back of the house covered. Hopefully it'll be covered by tomorrow, as we have a storm coming in Wednesday night into Thursday. Not as bad as the one that hit the East coast over the weekend, I don't think.

I'm still hoping it'll be covered and the windows will be in by the end of the week. HVAC Wednesday, plumber Thursday or Friday, electrician Thursday to go over where I want outlets. Then the electrician is going to start pulling wiring Saturday.

Brian, the GC rep, said today, that he expects us to move in mid April, barring any unforseen snags. Guess I better start looking for a loan. ;) :eek: :D

Thanks for looking.

Karl

Thanks for looking.

Karl

Matt Meiser
02-13-2006, 9:18 PM
Guess I better start looking for a loan. ;) :eek: :D

I'm curious how that works since you aren't buying a new house, but your old one no longer exists? Or does it technically?

Art Mulder
02-13-2006, 9:52 PM
So Karl,

How did you decide on a hip roof versus a gable-end roof? Did you draw out an elevation? Did you model it? Or did you really not give it any thought?

I'm not a builder, but I would think that a hip roof would be more complicated to build, with the complicated truss arrangement at the ends, not to mention needing more rain gutters all the way around. Not sure if it would make a difference to shingling.

just wondering.

Jim Becker
02-13-2006, 10:01 PM
I absolutely love the bird-feeders that have stood their ground through all of the upheaval!! Bravo!

Great progress, Karl.

Don Baer
02-13-2006, 10:04 PM
looking good Karl. I just wish I could so the same kind of progress on my new digs in Az. They haven't even broke ground yet...:(

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Even though it may not seem like you made as much progress as you'd like, compared to a lot of construction I've seen.......you're doing well Karl!

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2006, 11:17 PM
By golly! It's beginning to look like a house.

Too cool Karl, this has got to be exciting for you.

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Karl, you have your priorities straight: I see the birdhouse/feeders are in place ready to go...You're a good man. Hope it continues to go well.

Boyd Gathwright
02-13-2006, 11:40 PM
February 13th, 2006

Well, the pace has slowed somewhat. Only a little got accomplished Friday as the crew had an early meeting and didn't start until around 9:30. Some of the roof sheathing was done at the end of the day.

Jump forward to today and the guys were at it again, but only two of them, as the third was sick. It was cold and windy, but Benny and Tim managed to get all but the back of the house covered. Hopefully it'll be covered by tomorrow, as we have a storm coming in Wednesday night into Thursday. Not as bad as the one that hit the East coast over the weekend, I don't think.

I'm still hoping it'll be covered and the windows will be in by the end of the week. HVAC Wednesday, plumber Thursday or Friday, electrician Thursday to go over where I want outlets. Then the electrician is going to start pulling wiring Saturday.

Brian, the GC rep, said today, that he expects us to move in mid April, barring any unforseen snags. Guess I better start looking for a loan. ;) :eek: :D

Thanks for looking.

Karl

Thanks for looking.

Karl

.... Karl, your making good headway and looking good in spite of the cold ;).

Vaughn McMillan
02-14-2006, 3:43 AM
Karl, I can tell these guys have built a house or two. They're hustling like a crew twice the size. Definitely looking like a house now.

- Vaughn

Karl Laustrup
02-14-2006, 6:09 AM
I'm curious how that works since you aren't buying a new house, but your old one no longer exists? Or does it technically?

It's being treated as a "new home construction". I don't think the old house exists even "technically". What the old house did was increase the value of the land making it possible to get a bigger loan.

Karl

Karl Laustrup
02-14-2006, 6:18 AM
So Karl,

How did you decide on a hip roof versus a gable-end roof? Did you draw out an elevation? Did you model it? Or did you really not give it any thought?

I'm not a builder, but I would think that a hip roof would be more complicated to build, with the complicated truss arrangement at the ends, not to mention needing more rain gutters all the way around. Not sure if it would make a difference to shingling.

just wondering.

I didn't give the ins and outs of building a hip roof any thought at all. I just like the look of hip roofs. The old house had gable ends on the east and west sides. Windows were always dirty from rain snow whatever. I have a 3' overhang with the new roof [I was going to get 5'] so rain/snow will be less of a problem I think and this was one of the considerations in selecting it.

While I didn't think of it at the time, the hip roof has helped with the height profile of the house. The floor of the new house sits almost 2' higher than the old house. This is due to raising the existing foundation that much. Also, the old house had 8' walls, the new house has 9' walls. Had we done gable ends I think the place would have been taller than some of the trees around it.

Karl

Karl Laustrup
02-14-2006, 6:30 AM
Jim and Jerry,

The bird feeders have stayed so I wouldn't lose all our visitors, although there aren't as many with the constant hub bub of building a home. Those feeders will be relocated as construction winds down.

My golfing buddy has quite a bit of scrap Canadian cedar logs left over from building his home. He's said I could have some of them. Thought I'd use some of it to build some feeders and a bird house or two.

I'm also having special blocking put in the eves so I can hang some special feeders for our yellow finches as well as my wind chimes.

Karl

Art Mulder
02-14-2006, 7:03 AM
The old house had gable ends on the east and west sides. Windows were always dirty from rain snow whatever. I have a 3' overhang with the new roof [I was going to get 5'] so rain/snow will be less of a problem I think

Three foot overhangs are great, from what I've heard. They are also going to help with summer cooling when the sun is high, as they'll keep it from shinging directly in the windows. Then in the winter it is low and should shine right in.

Might also help with fading of furniture. Never thought of it helping keep windows cleaner, that is an interesting idea.

best.
...art

Steve Ash
02-14-2006, 8:13 AM
Looking great Karl,
Have you got the carpet and drapes picked out yet? You'll need them shortly the way your crew is progressing.

John Miliunas
02-14-2006, 8:28 AM
Hey dude..I'm just a bit curious: That doorway doesn't look quite big enough to get your bigger shop equipment in there easily! Got something bigger planned for the other side of the shop or what???:confused: :D I agree, the crew is doing a fine job at a great pace! I think you should hire them when you build your house, too! :D :cool:

Karl Laustrup
02-14-2006, 9:21 AM
Looking great Karl,
Have you got the carpet and drapes picked out yet? You'll need them shortly the way your crew is progressing.

No carpet. All hickory 3/4" hardwood floors, except in the kitchen which will have cork flooring. We'll use throw rugs as needed.

Not really planning any drapes either. The Pella windows have mini blinds built in, so we don't really need immediate window coverings. LOML watches Trading Spaces all the time and is looking forward to doing some window treatments.

You and Larry still planning a visit? :)

Karl

Andy Hoyt
02-14-2006, 9:24 AM
Hey, Karl! Smart move on the cork.

Put some in the kitchen on a house I built for some folks in Placerville, CA a while back. It's great on the feet and even better on the dropped dishes.

Steve Ash
02-14-2006, 8:27 PM
You and Larry still planning a visit? :)

Karl

Yeah, if they will stamp our cheesehead visitor passports at the border....

Karl Laustrup
02-14-2006, 9:13 PM
Yeah, if they will stamp our cheesehead visitor passports at the border....

You don't need no stinkin passports. :D

Just tell 'em you know "Pesh". ;) :eek: :D

Then call Spring.

Karl