PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Hickory NE

John Hart
02-13-2006, 7:51 PM
Hi all. This is the piece of Hickory that Andy Hoyt generously sent me. I posted the preliminary stuff in this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30787

Because I kinda went too thin...I started getting splits in the spalting, plus there were some cracks threatening to take away this fine gift, so I gave it a bath in that Epoxy/DNA solution and it worked really well!! I did have some trouble with the foot because it sorta went out of round on me. but I hung with it and did the best I could. It's a keeper and will end up in my office tomorrow. Thanks Andy!!!:)

Oh yeah...Final size is 11" diameter and 4" High. Finished with Antique Oil and buffed with beeswax

Bill Stevener
02-13-2006, 8:11 PM
I really like the bowl John. It reflects some great ancient - historical, museum like qualities. I don't know what era, or style, that doesn't mater, it has class.

That's an up front bowl,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bob Noles
02-13-2006, 8:20 PM
John,

A very unique piece and I must admit, that at first glance I was not sure I liked it or not, but after looking at it a little longer it kinda grew on me. I really do like it and see the real beauty that is there.

A very nice piece and nice work. I am definately going to put that beeswax to use :D Beautiful finish!

Jim Dunn
02-13-2006, 8:23 PM
I really like the bowl John. It reflects some great ancient - historical, museum like qualities. I don't know what era, or style, that doesn't mater, it has class.

That's an up front bowl,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)
Bill I think it's from the pre-Icreamneria, Drippicus era time of history. You see back then they didn't care about warm soup dripping on their knees. But with the advent of icecream we had to change our bowl designs.

John, nice looking piece of work on some real pretty wood. I'd have trouble decideing when to call it quits on a bowl like that. You nailed it.

Jim

Pat Salter
02-13-2006, 8:26 PM
Not sure which is nicer, that bowl or that Andy guy. Watch that about taking some of your stuff to work, you may get some orders! then it stops being fun and becomes work:eek: haha, just kidding, nice bowl.

Ernie Nyvall
02-13-2006, 8:37 PM
Whew, that did get thin John. You did a fine job on it. Thanks for reminding about the dna/epoxy mix.

Ernie

Mike Ramsey
02-13-2006, 9:23 PM
This is one that you really like or really hate, no in between....I
really like it!! Very good job on what looked to be a rough turning!!

Cody Colston
02-13-2006, 9:25 PM
I like that, John, and it is indeed thin!

My neighbor has a pile of cut up hickory stacked beside his burn pile. If I can ever catch him out and about, I plan on asking for some of it.

Corey Hallagan
02-13-2006, 9:28 PM
John, nice job on that. Don't know how you guys do that! Very kewl piece.

Corey

Keith Burns
02-13-2006, 9:47 PM
John, ya did good on this one. :) :) I like it best in your first photo, setting upright:D

Jim Becker
02-13-2006, 9:54 PM
John, I like this piece...something about it just clicks for me and I'm not normally drawing to many NE bowls. This one feels like it belongs that way.

Ernie Kuhn
02-13-2006, 10:46 PM
John,
DNA/EPOXY Solution? Been on the road for a while. Please explain as I've lost a couple of punky projects trying to soak with thin super glue.
Thanks
Ernie

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Hey ! That's looks great, John. And you certainly altered the color too. Looks like it was turned 200 hundred years ago. Really pleased that it held together for you.

The splitting is indeed an issue with this stuff (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30872). I've now sent pieces of it to NH, IL, OH, CA, and AZ. So for those folks - Rough it quick and try this new fangled DNA and Epoxy thing. That's what I'm gonna try on my next piece.

John Hart
02-14-2006, 7:12 AM
John,
DNA/EPOXY Solution? Been on the road for a while. Please explain as I've lost a couple of punky projects trying to soak with thin super glue.
Thanks
Ernie

Ernie,
this is a technique that Bill Stevener brought up a couple of days ago that he read about somewhere. You take Epoxy (I used System Three, 4 minute working time) mix it up regularly, then add DNA til it is about the consistency of syrup. Now, I made mine thinner...about the consistency of milk. After Akie soaking so the piece is nice and dry and thirsty, liberally brush this on. It'll soak right in so just keep adding it. It took about 24 hrs to fully cure. Works great.

Thanks for all the nice words everyone. I'm glad it turned out ok. It'll make a nice centerpiece on my conference table. Thanks again Mr. Hoyt!!

Dick Parr
02-14-2006, 9:22 AM
Great job John, looks nice!

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2006, 9:31 AM
Great job John. Looks like the epoxy/DNA mixture worked.

Barry Stratton
02-14-2006, 9:17 PM
That came out awesome, John. There's no way I could leave something like that at my work, though............

John Hart
02-14-2006, 9:31 PM
Thanks again guys.
I don't worry much about it being in my office. It's quite secure. The cleaning crew isn't even allowed in there. And you can tell!!:eek: :D

Ernie Kuhn
02-14-2006, 10:06 PM
thankyou john, will give it a try
ernie