PDA

View Full Version : Are you one of the few New Englanders on this site?

john mclane
02-13-2006, 7:46 PM
Since I've read a little ribbing about New England in this forum I thought I would share this that I got in an email today. Fits with this past weekend:

Forget Rednecks... here's what Jeff Foxworthy has to say on New Englanders:
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping it will swim by, you might live in <st1>lace New England</st1>.

If you're proud that your region makes the national news 96 nights each year because Mt. Washington is the coldest spot in the nation, and Boston gets more snow than any other majority in the US, you live in New England.

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from September through May, you live in<st1> New England</st1>

If you instinctively walk like a penguin for six months out of the year, you live in <st1>New England

</st1> If someone in a Home Depot store offers you
assistance, and they don't work there, you live in <st1>New England

</st1> If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you live in New England

If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you live in New England

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A NEW ENGLANDER WHEN:
"Vacation" means going anywhere south of <st1>New York City</st1> for the weekend.

You measure distance in hours.

You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.

You have switched from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day, and back again.

You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching.

You install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked.

You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend/wife knows how to use them.

You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction.

Your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a deer next to your blue spruce.

" Down South" to you means <st1><st1:city u1:st="on">Philadelphia</st1:city></st1>

Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new shed.

Your 4th of July picnic was moved indoors due to frost.

You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.

You find 10 degrees "a little chilly."

Roger Myers
02-13-2006, 8:03 PM
Yep :)
Don't know what all the fuss was about this weekend...we had a few flurries and all :) but hey, it is February....didn't seem natural that we could see the grass all January.
And 10 degrees in February is downright mild. Supposed to get near 50 this weekend, and I might have to fire up the air conditioner.
By the way....almost all of the statements Foxworthy made are without any exageration :)

Todd Davidson
02-13-2006, 8:53 PM
'Bout sums it up for us Yankees!!!!! :D

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2006, 9:09 PM
.....You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction.....

Forgot about Mud Season. Sheesh!

David Fried
02-13-2006, 9:22 PM
Ahhh yup. sounds about right. I've been lucky, only hit one deer. Got a letter the next week from my insurance company, they lowered my rates! Gotta love New England.

Dave Fried

Tim Morton
02-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Nice!!:cool:

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2006, 11:38 PM
YOU SAY ITS "Balmy" when temp hits 30 degrees..
Worcester is pronounced "wooster"
et al..
I used to live in Mass.

Dave Anderson NH
02-14-2006, 9:06 AM
Lies and crass gross exagerations.:D The reality of the situation is that we have 51 weeks of winter and one week of lousy sledding. I will admit that 3 years ago in January when I went down to Colonial Williamsburg for my annual 18th century furniture conference it was -28F the morning I left. The folks in Virginia were moaning, groaning, and complaining about how cold it was at 20F. Such a fuss about nothing. I was ready to begin wandering about in Tee shirt and shorts and semi-seriously considered it.:D

Maybe when I get really old and can't take winter anymore I'll move down south to someplace like Rhode Island or Connecticut.:rolleyes:

bob gugerty
02-14-2006, 11:03 AM
John,
thanks for the laugh

Lou Morrissette
02-14-2006, 11:16 AM
YOU SAY ITS "Balmy" when temp hits 30 degrees..
et al..
I used to live in Mass.

Jerry,

You've been out of Mass too long. It's "Wistah", remembah.:p :D

Lou

David Fried
02-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Maybe when I get really old and can't take winter anymore I'll move down south to someplace like Rhode Island or Connecticut.:rolleyes:

Dave,

Come on down - the beaches open tomorrow!!

Dave Fried

Don Bergren
02-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Foxworthy makes it all too familiar. The really bad part is I've never been "Down South" as far as Philadelphia. Did go to Danbury Conn. once though. That was just too big city for this Maine boy.

Don't pay much attention to Lou. he comes from a state where they all talk funny. :D

Ian Barley
02-14-2006, 4:25 PM

Surely you mean "wusta":)

Jim Dunn
02-14-2006, 5:34 PM
I've got nothing to say cept WAY TO GO JEFF!!

Kevin French
02-14-2006, 6:09 PM
"Born and raised" and will never give up the Native status.

Natives in NH are a minority. Beside guilty as charged on about 80% of the above mentioned items.

John Lannon
02-15-2006, 4:10 AM
A-yuh, bout right John.;)

I was raised in Rumford Me.

Neal Flatley
02-15-2006, 1:54 PM
I always wondered, since "York" and "Jersey" are places in England, why are New York and New Jersey, not considered part of New England??

Neal

From the Island of Long :D

Lou Morrissette
02-15-2006, 2:58 PM
"Born and raised" and will never give up the Native status.

Natives in NH are a minority. Beside guilty as charged on about 80% of the above mentioned items.

Kevin,
Is the Reinhorn still in Antrim?

Lou

Kevin French
02-15-2006, 3:42 PM
Lou

No, They moved to Keene. It's a Chinese Restaurant now.

Neal Flatley Wrote:
"I always wondered, since "York" and "Jersey" are places in England, why are New York and New Jersey, not considered part of New England??

Neal

From the Island of Long"

Neal I don't consider MA, CT & RI, part of NE. That's south of the NE Mason-Dixon line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH

"Maybe when I get really old and can't take winter anymore I'll move down south to someplace like Rhode Island or Connecticut."

I told my wife I'm just getting a bigger tractor to move the snow.

john mclane
02-15-2006, 9:20 PM
I don't consider MA, CT & RI, part of NE. That's south of the NE Mason-Dixon line.

Having been born and raised in NH and living in every MA, CT and now RI every part considers them separate. We could make new lines everywhere. The worst though is the Fairfield County part of CT. they don't even like the Red Sox OR the Patriots.

Bob Johnson2
02-15-2006, 9:49 PM
I don't consider MA, CT & RI, part of NE. That's south of the NE Mason-Dixon line.

Hmmm, those east of Wooster don't even consider us part of Ma.

Andy Hoyt
02-15-2006, 11:02 PM
The worst though is the Fairfield County part of CT. they don't even like the Red Sox OR the Patriots.

Yup, they probably wouldn't understand the wisdom of this:

Todd Davidson
02-16-2006, 7:14 PM
Yup, they probably wouldn't understand the wisdom of this:

Nope. And they probably wouldn't like the boat's name either. ;)

David Fried
02-16-2006, 7:54 PM
The worst though is the Fairfield County part of CT.

We like to pretend their part of New York. ;)

Absolutely. That's why it's called Southern New England.