PDA

View Full Version : ok guys, heres your chance, share your knowledge...

valerie williams
02-13-2006, 3:27 PM
I love this place! Partly because I am an active member of anouther forum that uses the same format and I already know how to navigate the site. I have already gotten great help from you guys, but lets go a little further, ok? My hubby has so many questions ano time to type them, lol. So I have tried to keep mental track of all of his utterences and I want to ask them fo rhim.

notice that this has a hook in the end? He had to do that so that the polyurethane(sp?) could dry, is there a better way?

the hook part of the crochet hook, can we do that on the lathe or so we have to continue doing that by hand.

how do yall get things put togeather so seamlessly? Like putting 2 pieces of wood togeather without seeing the join.

how do you finish your pieces?

What are the steps? Like turn, let dry turn some more....

is there any good turorials online for this type thing?

Free online patterns for woodworking? not just turning, furniture and such.

Anything else we need to know before we really get started?

Thanks for all of the help
Huggs
Val

Mark Singer
02-13-2006, 3:37 PM
Wow! You ask a lot of questions! That is a good thing....I am not a turner...only in my sleep:rolleyes: I will let some of the pros answer...
One great way to answer some of your questions is to use the "search" feature...I , for example have built many pieces of furniture in an open Forum format...taking pictures and explaining as I made the piece. If you did an "advanced Search" using my name and the word "cabinet" or "bed" or "table" you may find such a thread and the same is true of many of SMC's members...some make and explain more than others. Big welcome!

Tom Jones III
02-13-2006, 4:21 PM
I'm a very new turner, but I have been building furniture for a while, so I'll see what I can answer.

notice that this has a hook in the end? He had to do that so that the polyurethane(sp?) could dry, is there a better way?
Sounds like a good way to me - using the crochet hook to hang it up to dry
the hook part of the crochet hook, can we do that on the lathe or so we have to continue doing that by hand.
If it is not round, you will have to do it by hand. However, often you will be able to lock your lathe so that it does not turn, then you can take advantage of the fact that the work piece is held tightly then do some hand work on it.

how do yall get things put togeather so seamlessly? Like putting 2 pieces of wood togeather without seeing the join.
If the wood is flat and smooth, simply spread some glue like Elmers Wood Glue or Titebond on it, clamp it and let it dry. You can get this type of glue at Home Depot or Lowes. For some strange reason, look in the paint department.

how do you finish your pieces?
I million ways. I love using boiled linseed oil. At home depot a can cost $6 and will last you forever if you are doing crochet hooks. Shellac would also be a good choice. My wife likes wipe-on poly. You can get all of this at Lowes or Home Depot and it is simple to apply.

Jim Dunn
02-13-2006, 4:43 PM
What is the world comming to. A lady/wife who listens to her husband. (I'm typing in the closet so my wife dosen't see what I've written here or she'll have my neck.):eek::eek:

I like the wipe on poly as well. But it is thin and not something I'd put on a spinning part. I use Shellawax. You can get it on line at Penn State Industries or Craft Supplies (I'm not affiliated with either). After you finish your piece you can wax it to protect the finish. Carnuba wax works well.

Beyond that I'm not much help, just ask my wife:(

valerie williams
02-13-2006, 5:36 PM
Jim, you are to funny! One of the reasons we are doing this is so we can do more togeather.My husband is smart enugh to figure it out on his own, but he works very hard so that I can stay home with my babies so I try to help out with what I can so that his time at home with us is more relaxing, make sense? I have to say though, you guys are makeing it easy for me, lol

Gary Max
02-13-2006, 5:40 PM
Val the best advice I could offer is find someone close who turns and go visting or take a class. There is a member here who has a DVD on turing which is real good also. He takes you through the whole thing.

Bill Stevener
02-13-2006, 6:05 PM
Hi Valerie,

The experience I've had making the crochet hooks, so far is limited to about two dozen. For one to fashion the hook, I find it easier to hold the shaft in one hand and then have at the hook, with the other. I do place it in a small vice, for the fine tuning. I use an X-acto knife, only for the reason, it is much easier to change out the blade, rather than to sharpen another. The small blade allows one a finer and more detailed approach. For the final shaping, I use a fine set of small detail needle files.

As for a finish, I don't use any. The fine and close grain of the exotics used, along with a very fine sanding and burnishing, presents a very nice hook. I have found, so far, the lady's just like the feel of the wood???? You may find, that you may have another preference, I just thought, a wax, and or an oil finish, may interfere or deposit the same on the yarn.

The hook is what takes the time, the turning is the easy part to me.

Hope this helps some,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
02-13-2006, 8:01 PM
I use an X-acto knife, only for the reason, it is much easier to change out the blade, rather than to sharpen another. The small blade allows one a finer and more detailed approach. For the final shaping, I use a fine set of small detail needle files.....

Bill...I've never done a crochet hook, but if I did, would it make sense to you to use a fine tipped dremel cutter to do the hook part? I really stink at carving!:o

Jim Becker
02-13-2006, 8:07 PM
Bill...I've never done a crochet hook, but if I did, would it make sense to you to use a fine tipped dremel cutter to do the hook part? I really stink at carving!
I'd use a small, oval file to create the "hook". If you look at a commercial one, you can envision how that profile would work to create a smooth, rounded surface that will not "catch" on the material being worked.

One of the things that hasn't been said about this kind of project (I think...) is that these thin objects are going to tend to whip while turning and it may also require some form of steady to alleviate that issue. I know I had it happen a few years ago when I was experimenting with some "Harry Potter" wands not much larger than the project in question.

Ernie Nyvall
02-13-2006, 8:27 PM
[QUOTE=valerie williams]I love this place! Partly because I am an active member of anouther forum that uses the same format and I already know how to navigate the site. I have already gotten great help from you guys, but lets go a little further, ok? My hubby has so many questions ano time to type them, lol. So I have tried to keep mental track of all of his utterences and I want to ask them fo rhim.

notice that this has a hook in the end? He had to do that so that the polyurethane(sp?) could dry, is there a better way? Rather than poly, I'd use spray lacquer... it dries fast and is pretty good protection, but if I was doing them in the exotics or any other dense woods, I'd do like Bill said.

the hook part of the crochet hook, can we do that on the lathe or so we have to continue doing that by hand. By hand, but a dremel might make it faster.

how do yall get things put togeather so seamlessly? Like putting 2 pieces of wood togeather without seeing the join. Sharp cutters and accurate angles. That's why I don't do this.

how do you finish your pieces? Lacquer or oil and buffed.

What are the steps? Like turn, let dry turn some more.... I'm thinking you are speaking of bowls here turned from green wood, so... yup, but there are different ways to dry.

is there any good turorials online for this type thing? Bill Grunbine has quite a bit of information on his site. Also this site below has many turners and their sites. Some have tutorials.http://dmoz.org/Arts/Crafts/Woodcraft/Woodturning/ It is not another forum.

Free online patterns for woodworking? not just turning, furniture and such. Google it

Anything else we need to know before we really get started? Just do it.:D

Hope this helps,

Ernie

Bill Stevener
02-13-2006, 8:37 PM
I will put this one in a two answer reply.

John, the Dremel tool may work, however, I would only think in the hands of a brain surgeon.

Jim, I agree with the fine file, as that is what I use for the final finishing of the hook as well.
To produce a finally turned crochet hook, of its small and precise diameter, one must be somewhat proficient in there turning capabilities, lots and lots of practice. As you have noted a steady rest may come into play. Yes it does indeed, this is where one learns the art of turning one handed, as the other hand becomes the steady rest, as well as a guide. Not really hard, but as I often say, typing is easy, after six months.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bart Leetch
02-13-2006, 10:47 PM
My Dad made hooks for my Grandmother & they never used any finish just fine sanded them.