PDA

View Full Version : Can cause allergic reaction...

Tom Conger
02-13-2006, 3:16 PM
On the bottom of some of the web pages where I order my pen blanks, it says "Caution, some wood dust can cause an allergic reaction!"

Well, I seem to have found some that causes a reaction and I am in itching hell. Almost as bad as poison ivy. Thankfully I wear a resparator, so no internal itches.

I turned a bunch of pens this last weekend, so I am not sure what wood it was. Could have been Olivewood, Redheart, Purpleheart, Zebrawood, Paudauk, Zircote, or Ambroyna burl.

Anyone else ever have reactions?

Andy Hoyt
02-13-2006, 3:19 PM
Yup. Western Red Cedar.

Makes it so I have trouble breathing and chest hurts. When I work it- which I love to do - I get into my "Orkin" garb.

The species you listed are all notorious.

John Shuk
02-13-2006, 3:25 PM
I get a headache from Black Walnut.

Mark Cothren
02-13-2006, 4:11 PM

Yeah, me too. But it's cuz it STEEENKS so bad... probably stinks about as bad as that ice cream that Andy eats.

So far I've been lucky and haven't noticed any allergic reactions to the woods I've worked. I'll go knock on some of that wood right now....:D

Keith Burns
02-13-2006, 4:16 PM
Guess I'm lucky as well. Have not had any reactions to any woods. Read about people that have to give up woodworking because of reactions, though.

Ron Ainge
02-13-2006, 4:39 PM
I have the same reaction that you are having when I turn Box Elder with the red stain in it. I think that I have a reaction to the fungus in the wood. When I went to the doctor to have it checked out she told me that I was the third person that week that she had seen that had a reacton to Box Elder. Hope this helps.

Sam Chambers
02-13-2006, 4:45 PM
My son breaks out in a rash when turning walnut.

Cam Grabast
02-13-2006, 5:13 PM
Cocobola tears me up! But, I just can't stop turning it...it's way too pretty.

Mike Ramsey
02-13-2006, 7:10 PM
Tom, do a search on this forum for "Wood toxicity" I think
you will find an informative post by Jim Becker.

Craig Fyock
02-13-2006, 7:26 PM
here is a link to the AAW tox page.

http://www.woodturner.org/resources/toxicity.cfm

:)

Keith Christopher
02-13-2006, 7:51 PM
Red Cedar tears me up pretty good. The intense cedar smell wipes me out. I choose not to turn it. I have not had any adverse reactions to cocobolo or the rosewoods, but I do wear a dust mask, turn the DC on high and go to tow. I will tell you however smoke from burning ebony is awful! I mean WOW. I had some come off of a drill bit go right up my nose. WOW. One has to be careful with this as typically once the reaction hits, almost ANY wood will trigger it.

John Hart
02-13-2006, 8:14 PM
Padauk leaves me with itches and sneezes. I love the way it smells but it treats me like dirt!! I won't stop though cuz I'm an idiot.

Pat Salter
02-13-2006, 8:22 PM
Most woods just leave me itching to turn another piece...hmmmm, maybe haven't found the right one yet :rolleyes:

My sister in law was turning some black walnut and ended up in the hospital because of poisons sprayed on the tree while it was growing....:mad:

Chris Barton
02-14-2006, 7:47 AM
I too, react to Wenge and it looks very much like a reaction to poison ivy. Most of the woods that produce this reaction in people are of a class call "fumerates" and include wenge and "rosewoods". Be very careful about these reactions. People sometimes have severe allergic reactions to these which can be life threatening without emergency medical care. I will not even touch a piece of wenge now...

Mike Ramsey
02-14-2006, 9:39 AM
I mean WOW. I had some come off of a drill bit go right up my nose.

Yeah, when asked by the Police how did you get that up your nose??
You just explain the drill bit thing :D .

Jim Hinze
02-14-2006, 9:54 AM
Yeah, me too. But it's cuz it STEEENKS so bad... probably stinks about as bad as that ice cream that Andy eats.

So far I've been lucky and haven't noticed any allergic reactions to the woods I've worked. I'll go knock on some of that wood right now....:D

Oh man, I must be in the minority.. I love the smell of fresh cut black walnut. I absolutely abhor the smell of fresh cut red-oak (smells like wet dog to me).

I haven't run across any sever reactions to any of the woods mentioned so far. I have not worked cocobolo which I hear (and have seen pics) is highly allergenic.

Rich Stewart
02-14-2006, 9:56 AM
My son got something similar to hives when turning cocobolo. Also said he was feeling sick to his stomach. I had some purpleheart smoke off a drill bit go up my nose and felt pretty funny. Not funny haha either.

Tom Conger
02-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Craig - Thanks for that link to the toxity.

I turned 5 separate objects out of Olivewood last weekend, and it is listed as an Irritant and Sensitizer (not sure what that means). Also, Zebrawood (turned one peice), and Purpleheart (3).

Gonna bet that it was the Olivewood, as I had the longest exposure to that. Everywhere that was not covered, ears, neck, back of neck, and any other part of my body I touched, itches. It didn't seem to effect my hands though, maybe cuz the skin is tougher.

That's unfortunate cuz the four pens that I made are absolutly beautiful. I like the simple distinct grain and the different colors that naturally come out.

David Mueller
02-14-2006, 5:37 PM
What I've done is that when I plan to turn something that causes a reaction
ie. rosewoods and cocobolo are the worst, I take a little benadryl before hand. I then shower after and use something like Gold bond cream. Seems to control it well. The face mask and DC are also a good help.

Anthony Yakonick
02-14-2006, 7:51 PM
Bottom line for me is any rosewood (dalbergia) may KILL me! I won't go near the stuff, even walked out of a Nick Cook demo due to it.

Keith Christopher
02-14-2006, 8:48 PM
Yeah, when asked by the Police how did you get that up your nose??
You just explain the drill bit thing :D .

HAHAH. :P That smoke will choke you. It's caustic.

Funny thing was I was drilling several blanks (like 5) and I usually don't wear a mask when drilling. So I went and turned them sanded them (mask in place.) Once I was done, I removed the mask and about an hour later I blew my nose. Ewwww. black on the tissue. Thought it was funny, but then was thinking...hmmm need to wear the mask more often.

Tom Conger
02-15-2006, 1:26 PM
Broke down and went to the doctor this morning. I was up all night due to the fricken itching.

Got a shot of cortizone, some benadryl type stuff, and some cream. Guess he thought is was serious.

I learned my lesson. Oh yea, be sure to wash your hands and clothes before coming into contact with any other part of your body. Anywhere I touched after that turning has broken out. Very irritating.