PDA

View Full Version : Gutter question!

Lee Schierer
07-27-2003, 7:41 PM
I just finished reroofing and residing my house and putting up new fascia. This past week I re-hung the vinyl gutters. Today it poured and much of the water came down between the fascia and the gutters. The gutters are not leaking. They didn't do this before with the old roof. Any idea what is happening or how to fix it?

Lee

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-27-2003, 10:08 PM
This may be a silly question, but did you install Drip Edge on the roof edges prior to laying the shingles? I have seen some houses without the drip edge, and this happens. Also, check that the Vinyl Gutters are not distorted, and are tight against the fascia flashing. There were Vinyl Gutters on my house when I purchased it, and after fighting a multitude of problems with it, I removed it and installed seamless Aluminum Gutters. The Vinyl looked nice, but it was giving me fits over time. If they were fine before the re-roof, then something must have changed to cause the problem. Good Luck Lee, let us know what you find.

Tony Laros
07-28-2003, 12:09 AM
Lee. the shingles should overhang the facia by about 1". The fix might be to slide a 6" strip of prepainted aluminum flashing under the first row of shingles with a 1" overhang.

Glenn Clabo
07-28-2003, 7:25 AM
Lee,
Assumming the gutters are able to handle the flow of water...
If the bottom of the drip edge, the part that curls under the actual edge, is not over (inside) the gutter...the water will follow it down behind the gutter. This will be even worse if the shingles don't extend out past the drip edge.

If you can get a hose on the roof...and put enough water on it...you can see what's happening.

Good luck...the pain of roofing is one of those jobs that make me glad I'm getting too scared, as I get older, to work up high.

Lee Schierer
07-28-2003, 9:00 AM
There is brand new drip edge on the roof and the shingles overhang the drip edge. These gutters were up before and seemed to work fine. They are not over flowing. The roof is a 4 12 pitch.

Guess I will either have to get wet or try the hose to see what's going on.

Don Farr
07-28-2003, 12:53 PM
I just finished reroofing and residing my house and putting up new fascia. This past week I re-hung the vinyl gutters. Today it poured and much of the water came down between the fascia and the gutters. The gutters are not leaking. They didn't do this before with the old roof. Any idea what is happening or how to fix it?

Lee

Lee, When you reroofed your house did you double the first row? What roofing I have done we always started the first row with the shingle upside down. Then layed the next row on correctly. So in effect you have a double first row. This prevents water from running between the cracks.

Brad Schafer
07-28-2003, 5:05 PM
... Today it poured and much of the water came down between the fascia and the gutters ...

Lee

I don't get it. There isn't any space between the gutter and the fascia (at least not on anything I've built recently).

You should have a drip edge with a flair, a double 1st row of shingles, and a roof edge overhang around a half inch or so (depending on the amount of water you need to move).

Confused,

b

Scott Neblung
07-29-2003, 4:33 PM
Lee,

Are the gutter joints leaking?

WHen you remove a section of gutter it is usually caulked to the next peice. When our sister roofing company (shingling only) did my house yrs ago, the boys just slipped the gutter to each other and didnt caulk one of those joints. Now they all leak !

If the gutter sits back on itself a bit, it will appear that it is leaking between the gutter and fascia.

Look to the gutter seams for an answer.

Scott