PDA

View Full Version : New Workbench

Dick Shryock
02-20-2003, 5:58 PM
Well I just finished building my new workbench. It was featured in ShopNotes a couple of issues ago. Still have to do some work finishing, but have to wait until it gets a little warmer so I can open windows. This is my first post here, I used to spend a bunch of time lurking at the pond, and even posted a little.

This seems like a good place and I do like the interface better than the pond.

Thanks for looking.

Bob Lasley
02-20-2003, 6:19 PM
Dick,

Very nice. I am getting ready to build a top similar to that, though the base is going to be more of a rolling cabinet so that I will have storage and can use it for an outfield table.

Nice work,
Bob

Dave Crabbs
02-20-2003, 6:47 PM
Dick,
Nice job on the bench! I too thought about building that same bench. Did you use the Veritas twin screw like they did in the Shop Notes project? If so how hard is this vice to install?
Dave

Dick Shryock
02-20-2003, 7:00 PM
Originally posted by Dave Crabbs
Dick,
Nice job on the bench! I too thought about building that same bench. Did you use the Veritas twin screw like they did in the Shop Notes project? If so how hard is this vice to install?
Dave

Yes I did use the Veritas Twin screw vice, se attached image. It was a piece of cake to install. The top is 3 laminations of 3/4" MDF so it weighs a ton. The oveall dimensions are 26 1/2 X 76. So I can effectivly clamp seven feet.

Bart Leetch
02-20-2003, 7:35 PM
Nice job Dick

I am using some of the construction ideas from the same set of plans. So far I have the legs blanked out & glued up out of 3 pieces of poplar each & the stretchers made.
I may not have the curved sides on the top. My bench is going to be either 5" or 5 1/2" long & 3' wide & used as an out-feed table for the table saw.
I plan to have a tool case underneath about 18"- 20" deep. I will need to leave the far side of the underneath of the bench clear for the table saw motor.
I plan to make the case side run about 2' - 2 1/2" higher than the top so I'll have a place to screw drawer glides to so I'll have a shallow drawer on top of the chest to put tools in if I need to clear the bench for that forgotten cut that we always need to make after we get the top of the bench covered with material & tools.
I don't like tool trays or bins on the side or ends of my bench. If the bench is going to take that space up I better be able to use it for a bench not to catch junk & saw dust.
Did you use bench bolts to hold your bench together?

Dick Shryock
02-20-2003, 8:28 PM
Originally posted by Bart Leetch
Nice job Dick
Did you use bench bolts to hold your bench together?

Yes I did use the bench bolts for the stretchers. I too am using my bench as an out feed table for my TS. My next project is to build cases to go in the space underneath the top, similar to what was in the subsequent article in ShopNotes. I'm thinking about making three cases that will slide on the bottom shelf, At least two of the cases will have drawers. The third one may have a door, but I'm leaning toward drawers in that one too.

Chris Knight
02-21-2003, 3:44 AM
Dick,

Nice bench! I have a similar one - a "joiners" bench from a book by Sam Allen and I find it very practical.

I would recommend that you wax the top regularly. It really does help to protect it from glue drips and the like. I think your top is hardboard like mine and it wears pretty well but scraping glue off scars the smooth finish and reveals more of the fibrous material that then seems to wear faster.

I use the space underneath for a carcase full of drawers which I find the best way to store most of my hand tools.

Chris.

Dick Shryock
02-21-2003, 6:05 AM
Originally posted by Chris Knight
Dick,

Nice bench! I have a similar one - a "joiners" bench from a book by Sam Allen and I find it very practical.

I would recommend that you wax the top regularly. It really does help to protect it from glue drips and the like. I think your top is hardboard like mine and it wears pretty well but scraping glue off scars the smooth finish and reveals more of the fibrous material that then seems to wear faster.

I use the space underneath for a carcase full of drawers which I find the best way to store most of my hand tools.

Chris.

Chris,

My top is 3 layers of MDF which I finished with BLO and Bri Wax. I plan to re-wax regularly.

Dick Shryock
02-21-2003, 6:07 AM
Originally posted by Chris Knight
Dick,

Chris.

Chris,

My top is 3 layers of MDF which I finished with BLO and Bri Wax. I plan to re-wax regularly.

Richard Allen
02-21-2003, 8:54 AM
Hi Dick

Very nice bench!

When you decided to make the bench what was your thought process?

Why dedicate the time and resources to build a bench instead of something else.

Why select the plan you selected (how many plans did you consider)?

In what ways did the project exceed your expectations?

What would you do differently if you were to do it again?

What did you learn along the way? Technical as well as spiritual?

In the picture there looks to be a foot or block of wood under the leg that is visible. Anything special about that?

Thanks

Dave Anderson NH
02-21-2003, 9:34 AM
posting here. I sort of thought you had disappeared. Have you heard from Woody at all? By the way, having a replaceable 1/4" masonite for a top layer is a really workable idea. Cheap to replace when it gets too ratty and easy to do too.

Howard Rosenberg
02-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Looks like it'll give you many years of usage. All the best. Howard

Dick Shryock
02-21-2003, 1:35 PM
Originally posted by Dave Anderson NH
posting here. I sort of thought you had disappeared. Have you heard from Woody at all? By the way, having a replaceable 1/4" masonite for a top layer is a really workable idea. Cheap to replace when it gets too ratty and easy to do too.

Yea, just had Sushi with him, trying to get him on this board but have not been successful yet. I'm sure that he will come around though.

It is sure nice to be here, Wayne did a wonderful job on the Pond, but this place seems equally friendly and the interface is far superior (IMHO).

I thought about the replacement hardboard top but opted for the MDF through and through. I was worried about the Hardboard staying firmly in place and flat.

Take Care,

Dick Shryock
02-21-2003, 1:49 PM
Originally posted by Richard Allen
Hi Dick

When you decided to make the bench what was your thought process? Well I guess that I thought that making a bench would help hone my skills and that I would have a nice place to work afterward

Why dedicate the time and resources to build a bench instead of something else.

Why select the plan you selected (how many plans did you consider)? Hmmm.. I have been looking for a bench that was easy to build yet rugged. The ShopNotes plan seemed like just the ticket. No fancy Joinery but solidly constructed.

In what ways did the project exceed your expectations? It came out better than I expected. I didn't know if I would have the skill to do it.

What would you do differently if you were to do it again? I would have spent a little more for my face vice, and gotten onet that was a little more substancial

What did you learn along the way? Technical as well as spiritual? Be precise when measuring and as Ken likes to say, measure twice and cut once.

In the picture there looks to be a foot or block of wood under the leg that is visible. Anything special about that? That is just a cut-off from my end vice. I had been using it when I clamped the endvice face in the Frfront vice to equalize the pressure. Didn't realize that it was on the floor until I saw it in the photo

Thanks

How did I do? Let me know if there is anything else that I can answer.

Richard Allen
02-21-2003, 2:55 PM
Hi Dick

I do a lot of projects which don't come out anywhere near as nice as that bench. I was thinking that my process might be the issue. I have never worked to a plan (other that the vague plan that is hideing in my head). I am thinking I should reconsider the plan idea.

I always like to have room to grow with my tools. So maybe the "oportunity" to improve the bench with a new vice when you get the chance to "blame" the vice for some project comeing out less than you expect ... However having looked at the bench it is easy to see that you won't have much "oportunity" to "blame" your tools.

Thanks

Woody Leland
02-22-2003, 2:28 PM
Hey Dick:

Looks as good on the web as in person.

Yes, I finally made it here from the pond. I agree this site has a better look, but it's always hard to leave an old friend.

Hello to Dave in New Hampshire. I'll be at Mike's (Dunbar) again in May and August for my 7th and 8th classes.

Just so ya'all know, I get to be extra muscle for Dick when he has to move that thing! 3 layers of MDF are heavy! However when it's where you want it, 3 layers of MDF become "substantial."

-Woody from South Portland, Maine

Jay Albrandt
02-26-2003, 10:56 PM
Hi Dick,

Nice Job on the bench. I will be building a bench in the future and would like to order the back issue of Shopnotes. Do you know the volume and month the plans were in? If you do, I would appreciate the info!

Thanks in advance for you response.

Dick Shryock
02-27-2003, 6:59 AM
Originally posted by Jay Albrandt
Hi Dick,

Nice Job on the bench. I will be building a bench in the future and would like to order the back issue of Shopnotes. Do you know the volume and month the plans were in? If you do, I would appreciate the info!

Thanks in advance for you response.

Thanks for the Compliment The Shop Notes issue is Vol 11, Issue 65, Sept 2002. It is a great work bench and I wouldn't change a thing. Good luck.

Glenn Clabo
02-27-2003, 8:14 AM
Sweet bench Dick. I built mine out of a used bowling alley many years ago. Now that I see yours I'm going to figure out how I can attach hardboard cus the top is getting beat up.

Has the winter been bad up there? It sure has down here in the south (RI)? This is the worst I've seen since I was a kid. Most years along the coast we don't get hammered like this. You Maniacs are alot tougher though.

Dan Bussiere
02-27-2003, 9:17 AM
Nice bench! I am suitably jealous! Someday, when I get more room, I will build one simular. Sounds like you just joined us. Welcome!
Dan

Tim Spickler
02-27-2003, 9:19 AM
Great bench. I'm sure it will make working in your shop more pleasurable. I wish I would take the time and build one. It just seems that there is always something higher priority on my ToDo list.

Von Bickley
02-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Dick,

Great looking work bench. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Ken Wright
02-27-2003, 7:15 PM
Would sure like to have one of those ... but don't have the space for it right now.

Bob Boake
02-27-2003, 10:15 PM
You missed the one about the spiritual aspects but I think the answer is implied in your work. Nicely done all the way around.

Dick Shryock
03-01-2003, 7:13 AM
Originally posted by Glenn Clabo
Sweet bench Dick. I built mine out of a used bowling alley many years ago. Now that I see yours I'm going to figure out how I can attach hardboard cus the top is getting beat up.

Has the winter been bad up there? It sure has down here in the south (RI)? This is the worst I've seen since I was a kid. Most years along the coast we don't get hammered like this. You Maniacs are alot tougher though.

Glenn,

It has been cold this winter, not as much snow as in some years past but we have had snow cover since Christmas Day. I can't remember a winter in my 40 years in Maine like this one. You guys in southern New England have sure gotten hammerd this year.

My wife got her Masters several years ago from URI. Commuted for evening courses twice a week. There were a couple of time that I worried about her driving home at midnight in the snow, but it sure wasn't like this winter.

Good luck with your bench. MDF is a great material for a bench top, it is flat and stable once it is sealed, and it is surely heavy.

Dick Shryock
03-01-2003, 7:17 AM
Originally posted by bob boake
You missed the one about the spiritual aspects but I think the answer is implied in your work. Nicely done all the way around.

Bob,

I'm not a real spiritual guy. Sorry but I don't really relate to thinking about things in a spiritual sense, thus the lack of an answer to your question...